GPU Requirements Triple Screen

I find the whole gsync and freesync thing a minefield now as its less rigid as it was a few years ago, also seems to be a moving target as Nvidia changes its stance.

Re freesync (aka adaptive sync), you can now run any freesync monitor on a nvidia card 1000 series onwards, even if its not certified as gysnc compatible (i.e. freesync monitors that is certified to work with nvidia gsync). Milage may vary on the quality of the monitor though due to no certified gsync.

Instructions below.

Sadly only pascal gpus and onwards support adaptive sync. 970 only supports gsync not freesync.

Likewise from this year onwards nvidia lifted its exclusivity to its own gpus to all future gsync native monitors, they are to support variable refresh rate (VRR) over hdmi and adaptive sync compatability (aka freesync) in the gsync module via a firmware update, meaning they will be freesync compatible with AMD gpus and the newer consoles. It must state support for adaptive sync as well as gsync for this to work.

No use to all of us that have older gsync monitors stuck with nvidia cards though.

Sorry I missed the sli convo above. You really are better off selling the 970 and buying one newer singe gpu. Frame times in sli / crossfire makes it not worth the effort, i.e. although you get higher average fps, the 1% lows don't go up much and its a more stuttery experience. I had two 1080tis and I sold them to get one 2080ti and it was a far better experience.

Last edited:

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 25 23.4%
  • More leagues

Votes: 22 20.6%
  • Prizes

Votes: 20 18.7%
  • Trophies

Votes: 10 9.3%
  • Forum trophies