GPL fanatic here, Is there a 67 F1 Mod thats good ?

• Deleted member 503495

Last time I played GPL in 2010.
Don't know about those mods but official cars in AMS, AC and RF2 feel and drive much better than GPL.

GPL is by no means that accurate as it tries to kill you especially at low speed but I would not classify those as much better. They may feel better due to modern force feedback. The AMS F-Vintage may be the most decent and proper of all, the rF2 BT20 has its idiosyncrasies that keep it from being "up there." The rest, including 1967 and 1975ish representations of F1 cars, do not cut it.

One can still have fun or more fun with those than the Grand Prix Legends cars. Just to clarify. Fun is not dependent on realism. A Lotus or Eagle in GPL's Spa is absurdly fun but even when imposing a more realistic setup, it is widely known the game isn't spot on even with real setup parameters.

That's an old guide. Here's the latest installer 1.08. You'll need the GPL CD to use the installer.

https://gplps.wordpress.com/gplps-gpl-installer/

Here's a site with tons of links for GPL. You should signup in the forum. Then you can ask all the questions you want.
http://www.gpllinks.org/

After four hours back to the GPL ....
Impressive work with the mods and utilities made by the community. I must say that I am glad for the fully deserved GPL lifetime.
Even so, it is still difficult to get everything to work properly at first attempt. Flickering screen and stuttering problems, I did not get a correct calibration for my wheel and pedals Thrustmaster TX, deficient FFB ... The result is that the game did not run smoothly. Surely it's necessary more time, learning and help from the community in the forums, to adjust some small details of each utility as Pete said before.

Despite this, I was able to do some laps and revival that old and well known GPL felling ....;)

I definitely return to the AC very pleased to have the lovely 1967 cars, with good and smooth driving feeling, and especially much improved graphics for the current sims like Assetto Corsa.
Maybe it is not so realistic as Grand Prix Legends, but for me it is much more handy and enjoyable.
I apologize to all gpl fans. That is just my opinion.:thumbsup:
Cheers:)

Out of interest, how does the driving feel and handling of Kunos' Lotus 49 (my benchmark for '67 cars) compare to the equivalent in GPL?

I have the AC GPL '67 pack but always find myself gravitating back to the Kunos Lotus 49 and Ferrari 312/67 as they just feel 'right' to me :unsure:

Out of interest, how does the driving feel and handling of Kunos' Lotus 49 (my benchmark for '67 cars) compare to the equivalent in GPL?

I have the AC GPL '67 pack but always find myself gravitating back to the Kunos Lotus 49 and Ferrari 312/67 as they just feel 'right' to me :unsure:
If you are asking about GPL game then AC Kunos cars seem much more realistic to me. Car doesn't spin at low speeds, you can catch slides, FFB is much more informative.

Thanks for your reply. When I first tried the AC GPL '67 pack, I got the distinct impression that the authors had tried to recreate the cars in GPL, rather than the cars in real life; they felt so different to the Kunos cars (which, rightly or wrongly, I trust more than any mod cars).

For what it's worth, I've seen a lot of claims, supposedly from those who'd know that GPL was overly punishing and difficult compared to the real deal.

No idea if AC is more realistic or closer to reality, but GPL isn't spot on, either.

Let me say this again. I'm not suggesting to compare AC to the original Papy physics. Those are difficult to drive if you're new to GPL. I find them easy now.
What i'm talking about is the GPL Historical V2 mod. It's a mod for the 67 F1 cars and season. It's a physics and graphics update. The low speed grip problem is fixed. The cars are easier to drive. Not as easy as the AC mod cars but those are too easy.
So, please stop comparing the AC 67 F1 cars to the original GPL 67 F1 cars. Only good dedicated drivers can drive the original GPL cars. Which leaves out about 90% of the sim world. Everybody wants easy. Any car with wings and slicks will be popular with the general public. Real simulations take more dedication when it comes to older race cars with no wings or slicks.

One more note to those who want to try the original GPL. The Historical V2 mod has to be installed. It doesn't come with the 1.08 installer. The Installer just get the basic sim installed. All mods are installed separately.

Here's a video of the GPL Historical V2 mod. The guy making the video must not have had a good system. Lots of flashing mips. A good system will have none of that and it will look much better. Do these cars look that hard to drive? Too bad he had the AI turned down so slow. That aren't that easy to pass when not turned down.

Anyway, have a look. Not bad for a 20 year old sim.

Here's a video of the GPL Historical V2 mod. The guy making the video must not have had a good system. Lots of flashing mips. A good system will have none of that and it will look much better. Do these cars look that hard to drive? Too bad he had the AI turned down so slow. That aren't that easy to pass when not turned down.

Anyway, have a look. Not bad for a 20 year old sim.

I know it's a (relatively) new mod, but it still blows my mind how good those guys were able to make Spa look in a (more than) 20 year old engine.

This looks fantastic compared to the sort of version we use in Assetto Corsa, Granted there are a lot of flattish looking objects, but it looks a lot more like the real track in the videos I've seen.

Actually, there's an installer now. I can install GPL from scratch in less than 5min and have it all updated for cars, tracks, and tons of updates for the sim itself.
GPL didn't stand still in all these years. It's just that everybody gave up on it and aren't aware that GPL kept getting better. We're all using up to date gaming systems and controllers. I use the latest Fanatec controllers and they work perfect. My system was built to run DCS combat flight sim and it runs GPL perfect.
Hi could you help me install GPL have tried without success.Thanks.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.