Goodbye UE4?

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
  • Deleted member 197115

No hard feelings @Andrew_WOT , but I do not see this discussion leads to anything. You made your point. The devs were as nebulous as they have to be at this point in time. You can read into it anything you want. At the moment they clearly have their hands full with developing ACC and creating new content., which is actually a good thing! Honestly, I do not see any reveal of a new engine and/or new product in the upcoming months.
And as ACC will not ditch UE4 and switch to another game engine, this is also clearly the wrong subforum, right? ;)

Cheers
Sure, ACC will stay on UE4.
Couldn't think of a better place to post that interview video as it was in direct reference to ACC.
Cheers

I hope they drop unreal. I bought a rtx 2070 for acc especially. It runs fine in offline singleplayer, (3screens) no superb graphics but decent. Went online and it all looked horrible again. The physics though are outstanding
It doesn't make much sense to blame the Engine when it looks OK in SP but not in MP (and, BTW, UE4 is one of the most beautiful looking engines out there, when the devs get enough time tinkering with the graphics options).

Last edited:
Good riddance to UE4. I hope they move on. It’s been a crazy experiment and one that wasted a lot of hours unfortunately.

Based upon the lack of success of ACC I think they need to start working on their own engine so the next release can be better.
I don't think ACC's player count has anything to do with the engine. Rather, I think the community is quite sick of GT3 racing. I mean, you open ANY sim and there you have it, seems like 90% of players are on GT3.

IMO they should've done something else, like WEC. Would be amazing to finally have some multiclass GT racing, we haven't got an official sim for that since idk, GTR2 where we had GT1, G2, G3 and NGT?

WEC races are much more exciting than GT3. To me GT3 has become like F1, which is quite boring.

I don't think ACC's player count has anything to do with the engine. Rather, I think the community is quite sick of GT3 racing. I mean, you open ANY sim and there you have it, seems like 90% of players are on GT3.

IMO they should've done something else, like WEC. Would be amazing to finally have some multiclass GT racing, we haven't got an official sim for that since idk, GTR2 where we had GT1, G2, G3 and NGT?

WEC races are much more exciting than GT3. To me GT3 has become like F1, which is quite boring.

I'm enjoying ACC like crazy regardless of what steam charts say and whether others like GT3's or not.
Having said that, a WEC licensed game would be awesome but IRL, WEC is as boring as it gets.....LMP1 is a joke.....GTE class can get exciting but no more or less than Blancpain GT3s, it's pretty much the same thing.

I'm enjoying ACC like crazy regardless of what steam charts say and whether others like GT3's or not.
Which is totally fine, I'm sure I'd be loving the game too if I didn't sell my PC.

However, it is a sad reality that quite a lot of sim racers are fedup with GT3. It's not that the class itself or the races suck (in sim racing), but that most racers are in GT3 in pretty much every sim.

Now, consider the first AC. It's moddable, has many classes by default, SRS has quite a few interesting championships going on..... it's no wonder a 2011-2014 sim has 1800 players on a 30-day average, while ACC has 324. Is ACC better in almost all regards? Yes, as an Unreal Engine developer myself I think Kunos achieved some really ground-braking features for the team - however, considering the game isn't open like the first one and the only license available is GT3, it's not hard to put 2 and 2 together to see why the first game has a massive playerbase despite all these years.

totally agree, but I still love ACC and uninstalled AC four years ago because I was tired of grabbing this download and that. I'm a lazy player and I love officially licensed stuff because of the immersion one gets and am looking forward to ACC covering all the SRO ground series by series in the coming years. It will grow.

Which is totally fine, I'm sure I'd be loving the game too if I didn't sell my PC.

However, it is a sad reality that quite a lot of sim racers are fedup with GT3. It's not that the class itself or the races suck (in sim racing), but that most racers are in GT3 in pretty much every sim.

Now, consider the first AC. It's moddable, has many classes by default, SRS has quite a few interesting championships going on..... it's no wonder a 2011-2014 sim has 1800 players on a 30-day average, while ACC has 324. Is ACC better in almost all regards? Yes, as an Unreal Engine developer myself I think Kunos achieved some really ground-braking features for the team - however, considering the game isn't open like the first one and the only license available is GT3, it's not hard to put 2 and 2 together to see why the first game has a massive playerbase despite all these years.

I've read complaints about the high amount of GT3 lobbies across games, but the gap in number of players between AC and ACC is not because people are "fed up" with GT3's but because of the lack of moddability (amongst other things).

Had it been a WTCR or WEC licensed game, numbers would be even lower. GT3 is still the 2nd (if not the 1st) most popular series in simracing after F1, otherwise you wouldn't see all those GT3 lobbies, so when Kunos decided to go with one series only, I absolutely think they made the right choice by going with GT3's.

Now, does that player gap make ACC a failure? I don't know for sure what Kunos target was but I can assure you they didn't expect it to surpass AC knowing it would be a one-series game with limited content.
I don't know why people keep comparing them when Kunos has said multiple times ACC isn't AC's replacement.

• Deleted member 197115

Anybody playing Gears 5?
Wow, UE4 really shines there just as it did with GOW4. 4k, every single setting on Ultra, stable 60fps on 1080Ti.
If only Epic could make it work just as well for racing games as it does for shooters.

A couple of months ago ??
The 'complete' game you mean ? I have (or should I say had) ACC for about a year now...

As so do I, but EA isn't relevant in terms of the life span of a game. Officially the game got released a couple of months ago, with new content on the way and the first DLC announced only yesterday. I think it's fair to say there's still lot of life ahead in ACC to be worrying about what engine they'll use in their next title. ;)

I can imagine dropping the Unreal engine.

They spent huge amounts of effort on ACC, and the graphics are disappointing when you compare them to a modded AC. They have problems with VR and triple screen.

It probably helped to get the game out there faster and people can play. That's good.

Surely that's a sign of the popularity of GT3 rather than an indication that everyone's fed up with it!
Not everyone is fed up with GT3 (and I never said so), but I think those who love the class and already race on, say, AC or R3E, or whatever, would see little incentive to go to ACC as GT3's are everywhere and in more accessible sims that also have more players or e.g. are moddable such as the first AC (not to mention the first AC has an immense community).

Not everyone is fed up with GT3 (and I never said so), but I think those who love the class and already race on, say, AC or R3E, or whatever, would see little incentive to go to ACC as GT3's are everywhere and in more accessible sims that also have more players or e.g. are moddable such as the first AC (not to mention the first AC has an immense community).

You didn't specifically say "everyone", but in post #46 you said: "However, it is a sad reality that quite a lot of sim racers are fedup with GT3". I don't think that's the case.

Also, the other sims may have GT3 cars but they don't have the graphics, physics or tyre model that ACC has - that's the incentive to use ACC if you're really passionate about GT3.

Marco (Kunos) in the interview estimates 5% or fewer drivers use triple screen.

I run single screen so I personally don't care, but I feel like Marco should pay more attention to what kind of people those 5% are and what their influence is on the whole community.

I would guess amongst league admins it's closer to 80% that use triples. If true, and if triple support isn't up to snuff, it won't help them be inclined to use ACC for their leagues, resulting in much fewer people using ACC. The key figures like league admins, content creators and big name simracers are more likely to be the ones with the more elaborate rigs. If they don't want to use the game because a different sim is better with triples, it affects the size of the ACC community as a whole. My racing buddy uses triples. If that makes him not want to use ACC, I'm then less likely to use ACC.

Same goes for not being able to make your own skins. I personally prefer to not have to download custom skin packs that hog SSD space and video memory even when I race in leagues. I'd rather have a bunch of cars look the same (with name tags), but many league admins and race teams will consider it a deal breaker. Imagine if they also have triples or VR. If they won't race with their simrigs with 2080 GPU(s) and triples, I won't get to race with my single screen, outdated GPU setup at a desk, on a dining chair either.

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea