Goodbye UE4?

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
I am VR and fine with UE, it looks better than any other sim and with some engine.ini tweaks, runs perfectly acceptable. Whatever they do, I hope it wont be in cost of the graphics quality as it would be a step back. Considering we aren't going to see their new product may be 2-3 years from now, until then both UE and Hardware will be much better to run VR.
can i ask which settings you use and on what hardware? To me even AC1 looks and runs better in VR. Im on a 2080Ti and a 9900k.

can i ask which settings you use and on what hardware? To me even AC1 looks and runs better in VR. Im on a 2080Ti and a 9900k.

I7 8700K 1080TI Oculus S.

Pixel density in game to 160, AA temporal = high, volumetric fog disabled and shadows low. The rest is high and some on epic but they doesn't seem to have a big impact.
engine.ini from the thread below made a big difference, there are a lot of other suggestions in ACC forum but the one below works very well for me so I haven't bothered testing more:

https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/the-best-performance-ive-achieved.58766/

It works with ASW on but it is very smooth so I never bothered to check the actual fps counters.

AC1 indeed runs better, I can max it out pretty much, but also doesn't look and sound as good and has less sophisticated physics which also consume lots of resources.

In regards to VR there are other really good titles made in UE, so can you really blame the engine.

You can't just compare different games like this as you've no idea how much processing is going on. If the system load is light, performance will almost certainly be better, even with the same game engine.

Kunos didn't know about the potential that was still in its initial AC engine.

Do you honestly think that Kunos didn't know the capability of their own software? If it was that easy to make a system comparable to UE4/ACC with just a few tweaks, why would they decide to start from scratch with a new engine?

Do you honestly think that Kunos didn't know the capability of their own software? If it was that easy to make a system comparable to UE4/ACC with just a few tweaks, why would they decide to start from scratch with a new engine?
I guess you miss my point. I'm just saying that in his coding sessions back in 2015-2016 Stefano Casillo ruled out many things for AC1 that were eventually realized within the Shaders patch (+SOL). I'm talking about a complete day/night circle and dynamic weather effects, but also little features like visible tire wear and different tire textures.

• Deleted member 197115

The biggest limitation was single source of light. Even with CSP this is still the case, but visually it looks better than full blown UE with all these features. I am sure some witchcrafting was involved.

I bet people claiming ACC looks better just did not explore full potential of CSP and SOL.

And VR in ASW, no thanks, in my book this is not 'running just fine'.

I guess you miss my point. I'm just saying that in his coding sessions back in 2015-2016 Stefano Casillo ruled out many things for AC1 that were eventually realized within the Shaders patch (+SOL). I'm talking about a complete day/night circle and dynamic weather effects, but also little features like visible tire wear and different tire textures.

oh my god not this again.

I never said it was impossible, I said it would require a lot of work and it did not make any sense to do it in a software that was close to its end of life date.

oh my god not this again.

I never said it was impossible, I said it would require a lot of work and it did not make any sense to do it in a software that was close to its end of life date.
I didn't me "ruled out" in a "it's impossible" way, it was just ruled out for the development of AC1. I like ACC but the difference in the number of players between both titles and the number of (high-quality) payware mods pushed out make me wonder whether there would have been a market for an AC1-based successor in 2019. In mean, Dirt Rally 2.0 has hardly any new technical features and still I spent almost 90 bucks on it...

I didn't me "ruled out" in a "it's impossible" way, it was just ruled out for the development of AC1. I like ACC but the difference in the number of players between both titles and the number of (high-quality) payware mods pushed out make me wonder whether there would have been a market for an AC1-based successor in 2019. In mean, Dirt Rally 2.0 has hardly any new technical features and still I spent almost 90 bucks on it...

ya sadly with software development (as with pretty much everything in life) there's no way to reliably evaluate "what if"... the only certain data is about what actually happened and that's what makes it dangerous/fascinating/exciting/difficult :)

• Deleted member 197115

Glad that you have tried.
Can you please at least give us a hint on future plans as far as engine goes.
- Is UE indeed completely out of the table for the next title or still under evaluation,
- Are you looking at other 3rd party engines
- Will be building your own
- Will it be evolution of AC engine or something build from the scratch.

Thanks and sorry for all these questions

Glad that you have tried.
Can you please at least give us a hint on future plans as far as engine goes.
- Is UE indeed completely out of the table for the next title or still under evaluation,
- Are you looking at other 3rd party engines
- Will be building your own
- Will it be evolution of AC engine or something build from the scratch.

we're still very far from that state of mind.
Right now the only practical thought is about making ACC as good as it can be.. when time will come we'll consider what our options are and try to come up with the best decision possible.

• Deleted member 197115

Seriously??? ACC got released a couple of months ago and you're asking what engine they will use in the next title? :rolleyes:
If UE4 if off the table as Marco said in interview, it's reasonable to ask about replacement.
But seems like we have got our answer from Stefano already, not sure what your comments add to that.

If UE4 if off the table as Marco said in interview, it's reasonable to ask about replacement.
But seems like we have got our answer from Stefano already, not sure what your comments add to that.

Neither did Marco say UE4 is "off the table" nor is it reasonable to ask for a replacement after 2 months of a game release.
My intention was not to add anything but rather let you know your question is out of place.

Not exactly. That's a bit like ringing up BMW and asking what they plan to do with the M5 in 2022.

I have nothing against UE4 as my hardware is my limiting factor, nor is it Kunos fault I'm a plebe with a 1050ti.
I don't have the funds to upgrade and experience ACC as I wish to, but have seen video and it is beautiful.

• Deleted member 197115

Not exactly. That's a bit like ringing up BMW and asking what they plan to do with the M5 in 2022.

I have nothing against UE4 as my hardware is my limiting factor, nor is it Kunos fault I'm a plebe with a 1050ti.
I don't have the funds to upgrade and experience ACC as I wish to, but have seen video and it is beautiful.
"We are not sure we will be using Unreal in our future products", these are exact Marco's words from posted video interview.
And the logical follow up question on what you will be using is out of line?
Marco's statement "because we don't like develop only product but also technology" is a petty solid giveaway on what to expect, I think.

No hard feelings @Andrew_WOT , but I do not see this discussion leads to anything. You made your point. The devs were as nebulous as they have to be at this point in time. You can read into it anything you want. At the moment they clearly have their hands full with developing ACC and creating new content., which is actually a good thing! Honestly, I do not see any reveal of a new engine and/or new product in the upcoming months.
And as ACC will not ditch UE4 and switch to another game engine, this is also clearly the wrong subforum, right? ;)

Cheers

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back