Gasly Joins Red Bull for 2019 F1 Season

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Pierre Gasly Red Bull Drive.jpg

Surprising no one, Pierre Gasly has been confirmed as a Red Bull driver for 2019, partnering Max Verstappen at the former World Champions next season.

Gasly has been a very solid performer in the sister Toro Rosso team this season, regularly out performing his team mate and producing several eye catching performances in the Honda powered squad, so much so that the main team have taken the opportunity to secure the young Frenchman's services to replace the Renault bound Australian Daniel Ricciardo next year.

“Since Pierre first stepped into a Formula 1 seat with Scuderia Toro Rosso less than a year ago he has proved the undoubted talent that Red Bull has nurtured since his early career,” commented Red Bull Team Principal Christian Horner.​

“His stellar performances this year at the Honda-powered team, in only his first full season in Formula 1, have only enhanced his reputation as one of the most exciting young drivers in motorsport and we look forward to Pierre bringing his speed, skill and attitude to the team in 2019.

“While our immediate focus remains fully on achieving our best result in the 2018 World Championship, we look forward to competing in 2019 with Max and Pierre at the wheel of Aston Martin Red Bull Racing.”
It has been a busy few weeks for the Formula One drivers market recently, with Ricciardo moving to Renault and Sainz taking the seat vacated by Fernando Alonso at McLaren. Now that Gasly has been confirmed at Red Bull, the drivers market is very much taking shape for the year ahead, with just a potential couple of seats at Toro Rosso and Force India looking like the most desirable drives left on the grid...

For more from the world of Grand Prix racing, don't forget to check out the Formula One sub forum here at RaceDepartment and get involved in the conversation.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Are you happy to see Gasly confirmed at Red Bull? Do you think the Frenchman can match Verstappen next season? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
As written earlier: Max and Pierre is (also) a great duo!

Two 'rebel' kids/teenagers can create some nice fireworks and will -hopefully- strenghten each other to become a better team and individual racer. With Pierre at RBR I think we have a clear 1-2 driver right now. Agree?

PS @Kakusso: is your comment your personal thought or can you provide (reliable) sources?

I think Gasly is a good and logical choice. The Torro Rosso team is the Red Bull driver development team and also Gasly already has experience with the Honda engine the RB team can profit from. I also think Gasly will be able to push Verstappen, because he is a talented driver. The big question next year however is how the Honda engine will perform for RB. They certainly still need to make some steps on reliability and performance before they would be able to score podiums or even race wins.

I like this move, let's see what happens.

They ought to jettison Hartley while they are at it. Those development seats should go to people that are going to make something out of the opportunity, no way is Hartley going anywhere.

View attachment 265789
Surprising no one, Pierre Gasly has been confirmed as a Red Bull driver for 2019, partnering Max Verstappen at the former World Champions next season.

Gasly has been a very solid performer in the sister Toro Rosso team this season, regularly out performing his team mate and producing several eye catching performances in the Honda powered squad, so much so that the main team have taken the opportunity to secure the young Frenchman's services to replace the Renault bound Australian Daniel Ricciardo next year.

Horner has taking his eye of the ball since he got together with publicity leech Geri Halliwell.
I've seen it happen so many times in sport.

The minute they got married, he should have been fired. That's what I would have done. No way can he give his full attention to this massive job under these circumstances.

No wonder Ricciardo left. He knows a sinking ship when he sees one.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.