Gaming PC or Fanatec CSW?

Hi,
I currently only do my racing in GT5, but would like to get in to PC simracing someday! I already have a triple screen setup that i use with GT5 and I love the immersion that I get with it. I already have a rig that I love and I still really enjoy GT5, haven´t tried any PC sims yet.... I´m really tempted to order the Fanatec Club Sport Wheel first(love the looks and the mechanics of it :ugeek: ) and get the PC later as that is more expensive.

What will I get a better experience with?

A Gaming PC and continue to use my G27 and later upgrade to CSW. ( The PC I would buy today would be with the following parts, i7 3770, HD7970 or GTX680, 32GB ram etc.)

A CSW now and continue to use GT5 untill I get bored with it and wait with the PC a few months until Project CARS, rFactor2, AsettoCorsa, RaceRoom Racing Experience etc. are more finished and better hardware is available. Seems to be a lot going on right now on the PC side both regarding Simracing titles and hardware wise..!?

I currently use/own
3x27" LED BenQ GL2750HM,
3xPS3
Logitech G27 with Nixim brake mod
Logitech z906 DTS 5.1
Buttkicker

If it was my choice, and I want it now attitude...A PC without hesitation. A PC would give you entry to a world of games to explore and your G27 would be more than sutiable. Your Pc specs look the goods also.

On the other hand wait...if I had patients....untill rF2 and other titles arrive and see what hardware is doing good and make your selection from there.

ethier way I would hold back on the wheel.....that's my way of thinking.

Upvote 0
I would get a gaming PC. You can make one great computer with those parts you mentioned.

AC and rFactor 2 are coming soonish and GSG 2012 is all ready released. Also almost all other games will look much better in computer than your PS3.

Upvote 0
Just a quick note of those specs, there's practically no games out yet that can use more than 4GB ram so unless you plan on video editing etc 32 Gb is overkill IMO. You would be fine with 8GB for gaming but if you wanna be future proof you could go for 16Gb.

Upvote 0
The wheel will probably hold it´s price for atleast a year or so.
Computer parts will plummet during that time.

If you really really want to switch now then buy PC, if you can wait, either buy the CSW or simply wait until the games you want to play is released or close to release.

You´ll get better performance for less money if you wait.
But on the other hand you can wait all your life so eventually you have to buy it.

Upvote 0
If I where you I would go for the PC, but lower the specs a little. A i7 won´t do much better in terms of gaming than a i5, at least not for a while. Less RAM as I already mentioned (I checked your profile though, as you are a photographer maybe you where speccing your computer for heavy Photoshop use or something like that?).
Use the cash you saved on a "lesser" computer and buy the Clubsport Elite Pedals V2 and use them with your G27 until you can afford the CSW. The pedals will be the biggest upgrade from a G27 to the full CSW package imo. That said the wheel looks damn impressive and I want it too ^^
Also worth keeping in mind is that the CSW is not in stock and won´t be until september earliest.

Upvote 0
PC definitely! I played Race Pro and Forza etc on Xbox 360 and GT5, Shift on PS3, Since buying an Alienware X51 they don't get a look in. I'm loving the realism and variety of Race 07, test driving pCars, iRacing and SimRaceWay......The console might make the games look pretty but the PC is second to none on realism, handling and MODS.
I still use the Logitech DFGT and it feels so much better with the feedback settings on race 07 than I was getting on GT5, shift etc.....

So.....PC and give your GREAT!! G27 a new lease of life..

Upvote 0
Since you have a G27, I'd go for the PC, it will open you more posibilities than a new wheel.

I'd make sure to pick a "K" cpu though, since that way you can overclock it if games become more demanding.

Also, I wouldn't recommend playing the "wait" game when it comes to hardware, because there's always something new coming that will be better and cheaper than the current ones. So if you have the money and you're convinced you want a PC, it's better to buy it now. Besides, the new hardware might be a fluff and you'll have waited for nothing.

My 2 cents.

Upvote 0
I agree with buying a pc first. I run the amd hex core cpu, 8 gb of ram, and three monitors off one 6970. That runs pcars on high and every other sim maxed out so save some money and hold back on the ram. I also have the csr elite which cheaper than the csw and uses the same base. It just doesnt have quick release but they are making a formula rim for it.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back