Game won't launch

TL;DR rF2 thinks I have insufficient VRAM, but that's not true. How can I force the game to launch anyway?

So, just bought rF2, because of the Steam discount. No DLC or anything FYI. Thought I'd give it a try. After configuring the game in the graphics config, I get this error:

Startup Error - Insufficient video memory detected - 512 MB Minimum Required
Continue Anyway?
I click Continue Anyway, and the game immediately quits.

FYI I have an i9 iMac with a Radeon 580x (basically a RX 580) with ~8 GB of VRAM. I run Windows in a VMware Fusion virtual machine, and comfortably play AMS1, rF1, GTR2, RACE07, and Raceroom - with hundreds of FPS in the older titles, max settings. An unconventional setup I know, but it's what works for me at the moment. When running the other titles, I sometimes look at my Mac system monitor, and can see that there is lots of GPU usage, and I have the VM configured to use all of the 8+ GB of VRAM and 3D acceleration including DX11 support. So, in other words, I know my graphics drivers work.

I was only expecting a low settings experience with rF2 given the VM performance hit and my system specs - but I was hoping the game would, you know, launch.

Attempted solutions:

1. At first I thought the game's config hadn't selected the right drivers. I then manually told the game to use the high performance VMware drivers in the rF2 config, but... same problem.
  2. Then I thought it was because the game had no content, so I subbed to a few mods in the workshop - but then they never downloaded, presumably because the game wouldn't launch.
  3. I then manually downloaded the Enduracers Alpine and Trembling Mountain mods manually and put the RFCMP files into my Packages folder, but still no change.
  4. I've also tried deleting the ConfigDX11 file and redoing the config, but nothing.
  5. I also reinstalled the VM graphics drivers (which is a reinstall of VMware Tools, in case you're wondering). Same problem.
Very frustrating, as you can imagine. Given everything I've heard about rF2, I didn't expect a smooth experience... but I wasn't expecting this.

Any further troubleshooting advice? How can I force the game to launch? While I think I understand why rF2 is complaining (VM graphics drivers are NOT what the game is programmed to understand) I know my system has enough resources to play the game, even at a low-settings experience. I just need to force rF2 to try to launch.

Any help would be massively appreciated, thanks!

I think the problem is your iMac, not your RX580. (I use the RX480 also with 8GB vram and it works just fine with W10) And, adding to your difficulties, There may not be very many Mac users who have experience in this arena.

Thanks for the reply! :thumbsup:

I think the problem is your iMac
The thing is, my setup is successfully sharing the full 8 GB VRAM of the GPU with the VM. That's the only way I could play RaceRoom and AMS with lots of FPS on high-ish settings (which I do regularly). So, logically, the issue seems to be with rF2 not being able to understand something about the graphics – whereas AMS and R3E don't have any issues.

There may not be very many Mac users who have experience in this arena.
Yep, I don't doubt this. I know this is an unusual case, to say the least.

So I guess my question remains: is there a way to force rF2 to open? If I can force it to open, I know it'll run fine on low settings – which is all I need, personally, to get that sexy FFB and use the rF2 tools for some modding.

Note: otherwise, I'll just have to install Windows directly on the (Intel) iMac. Which is possible of course, and means you get native performance as if it was a PC, but comes at the cost of having to shut the computer down and boot into Windows – which I rarely do at the moment. Realistically it would just mean I won't play rF2 often, if at all. Which would be a shame when I have an existing setup that can run rF2, but the game just won't cooperate.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply! :thumbsup:

The thing is, my setup is successfully sharing the full 8 GB VRAM of the GPU with the VM. That's the only way I could play RaceRoom and AMS with lots of FPS on high-ish settings (which I do regularly). So, logically, the issue seems to be with rF2 not being able to understand something about the graphics – whereas AMS and R3E don't have any issues.

Yep, I don't doubt this. I know this is an unusual case, to say the least.

So I guess my question remains: is there a way to force rF2 to open? If I can force it to open, I know it'll run fine on low settings – which is all I need, personally, to get that sexy FFB and use the rF2 tools for some modding.

Note: otherwise, I'll just have to install Windows directly on the (Intel) iMac. Which is possible of course, and means you get native performance as if it was a PC, but comes at the cost of having to shut the computer down and boot into Windows – which I rarely do at the moment. Realistically it would just mean I won't play rF2 often, if at all. Which would be a shame when I have an existing setup that can run rF2, but the game just won't cooperate.
You'll have to excuse my poorly worded response. I should have indicated that the interaction between rF2 and your iMac was causing the issue, not your computer itself.
I am a complete Mac/Notebook novice, but you talked about assigning all 8GB of Vram to share with the computer. I wonder if there is a way to set aside just 1GB for system ram instead of sharing.... Hopefully the user techs in the audience will know more.

No worries mate!

I wonder if there is a way to set aside just 1GB for system ram instead of sharing
As far as I know, this isn't possible on Mac – but a good idea! Will check into it, just in case.

One small bit of progress: Road Atlanta 2021 and the ByKolles LMP1 suddenly decided to download from the Workshop. Sadly didn't fix my issue (game still refused to launch after clicking Continue) but another factor potentially driving the issue ruled out!

Last edited:
Another thing to report: just tested AC for the first time on this funky VM setup I have, and it runs, CSP and all, on moderate settings. I had wondered if my setup didn't support DX11, but thankfully it does! So that more or less ensures the issue is not with my drivers, but with rF2 being annoying.

So any suggestions on how to force rF2 to launch?

One thing I think might matter: after I click "Continue Anyway" on the Insufficient video memory dialog box, the game instantly crashes to desktop. Does this suggest a specific bug or anything particular to troubleshoot? Perhaps the game doesn't think it has any content? Since FYI I haven't bought any DLC, just the base game.

Last edited:
Another thing to report: just tested AC for the first time on this funky VM setup I have, and it runs, CSP and all, on moderate settings. I had wondered if my setup didn't support DX11, but thankfully it does! So that more or less ensures the issue is not with my drivers, but with rF2 being annoying.

So any suggestions on how to force rF2 to launch?

One thing I think might matter: after I click "Continue Anyway" on the Insufficient video memory dialog box, the game instantly crashes to desktop. Does this suggest a specific bug or anything particular to troubleshoot? Perhaps the game doesn't think it has any content? Since FYI I haven't bought any DLC, just the base game.
I still don't have any solution, but rF2 does NOT need any DLC. It has a fairly large compliment of cars and tracks that are included in the price of the sim. Whatever you do, don't go buying any DLC until you get this solved.

The error message either means, you don't have enough ram, or you haven't selected the correct graphics card adapter in graphics config.
I know I've selected the right adapter (I've selected the VMware SVGA driver again and again lol) so it's a question of RAM, then.

Could actual RAM be the problem? My Windows currently has only 8 GB of RAM, which has been sufficient for the older sims and hotlapping in AC. But perhaps that is what's causing rF2 to crash? If I gave it, say, 12 GB, would that potentially fix my issues?

Note that I have enough VRAM, because I couldn't run the other sims I run at the settings I do without more than 512 MB. Perhaps I don't quite have the full 8 GB my GPU has because of virtual machine things, but I have more than 512 MB haha. That said, rF2's "minimum settings" detector may not understand the VM GPU setup.

The number 1 problem, is you purchased a mac to run pc games.
rFactor2 doesn't support SVGA, so no idea why you have been selecting it.
You need to be selecting your Radeon 580X, in the graphics card section.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    15 KB · Views: 194
The number 1 problem, is you purchased a mac to run pc games.
Unsurprisingly, I didn't purchase a Mac for the purpose of running PC games. That would be very stupid. But it's what I have for other reasons, and it has happened to work really well so far with every sim I've thrown at it except RBR (annoying visual bug) and rF2! Would be a shame if rF2 was the only sim that doesn't work at all with my setup.
rFactor2 doesn't support SVGA, so no idea why you have been selecting it.
Sorry, should have explained that better! My bad. The virtual machine communicates with my graphics card through a driver called "VMware SVGA3D" (who knows why they called it that). This is what I've been selecting in the rF2 config in the box you highlighted – and I've also been using it in other sims like AMS and GTR2, which I know are functioning as they should and receiving 3D acceleration. For completeness, I did try the one other thing listed in that box just in case (can't remember what it was called) and that didn't change anything.

Unsurprisingly, I didn't purchase a Mac for the purpose of running PC games. That would be very stupid. But it's what I have for other reasons, and it has happened to work really well so far with every sim I've thrown at it except RBR (annoying visual bug) and rF2! Would be a shame if rF2 was the only sim that doesn't work at all with my setup.

Sorry, should have explained that better! My bad. The virtual machine communicates with my graphics card through a driver called "VMware SVGA3D" (who knows why they called it that). This is what I've been selecting in the rF2 config in the box you highlighted – and I've also been using it in other sims like AMS and GTR2, which I know are functioning as they should and receiving 3D acceleration. For completeness, I did try the one other thing listed in that box just in case (can't remember what it was called) and that didn't change anything.
Then you need to stop now. rFactor2 was designed to work on windows, and be able to communicate with the graphics card hardware. Your Mac and VM Ware is incapable.

rFactor2 was designed to work on windows, and be able to communicate with the graphics card hardware. Your Mac and VM Ware is incapable.
Yep, looks like it. :(

It's a shame, because every other sim I play – including modern and graphics intensive DX11 sims like Assetto Corsa – was "designed to work on Windows" yet communicates successfully with the graphics card and is playable in the virtual machine (which basically is just a container for a 'typical' standalone Windows install). So this is a (admittedly very niche) rFactor 2 problem.

If I ever get rF2 running in the virtual machine I'll update here. But I think it's a lost cause. Dammit. I'm reluctantly giving up for now. :cry: If anyone ever has any ideas in the future, feel free to let me know here.

In general, this is the sort of thing I was hoping for, but it's for Automobilista 1, not rF2:

There's a file which is generated when you run the config app. It also seems to be automatically updated by AMS at every launch:

C:\Users\<your_username>\Documents\Automobilista\config.ini

I would:
  1. try to find a version coming from a PC running some supported Intel Graphics chip
  2. copy the values from that file, starting at "VideoRAM=xxxx", to mine. Especially, "VideoGUID", "VideoDriver" and "VideoMode"
  3. save the file, edit its properties and lock it in read-only.

Same thing apparently used to be possible for rF2 a few years ago (presumably when it was on DX9 like rFactor 1):

Also, GTA IV can be launched with command line parameters to ignore RAM and video memory restrictions:
I looked through the rF2 command line parameters (under Support/CLI.txt) but sadly don't see any options that would force rF2 to bypass the video memory restriction.

Anyone have any ideas, please post below. If not, then don't, I guess :roflmao:

My friend runs RF2 on his macbook pro without issues but he's using boot camp to run windows natively. I wouldn't recommend using a VM.
Good to know it runs on Bootcamp without issues! Thanks for the info. Haven't gotten around to setting that up yet, but will do that at some point, and installing rF2 will be one of the first things I do.

Yeah, it isn't ideal to run in a VM, but I've had amazingly good luck with titles like GTR2, NR2003, AMS, RaceRoom, and AC, so it wasn't entirely unreasonable to hope rF2 might work as well. But it doesn't work, so oh well.

Quick update: just created a Bootcamp Windows partition on my iMac over the weekend and immediately installed Steam and rF2. It runs really well and without issues, as far as I can tell. Had lots of fun with it! :)

Still no luck forcing it to launch in the VM - but oh well, it is what it is.

Reactions: je5
Creo que el problema es su iMac, no su RX580. (Uso el RX480 también con 8GB vram y funciona bien con W10) y, añadiendo a sus dificultades, puede que no haya muchos usuarios Mac que tengan experiencia en esta arena.
I have an Asus with Windows and I have the same problem. Is there any known solution on the web? Thank you very much!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back