G920 desk mounting issue

Hi all,
I recently got this wheel and upon clamping it to my desk I find it is not all that secure. The actual clamps seem pretty short in my opinion and don't grip all that well.

My desk is an inch thick at its deepest point although the front edge is slightly rounded from about 3/4" thick.

At the present I am placing a foam mouse mat between the wheel and desk. It helps a small bit.

I'd appreciate any and all advice!!

Added a photo cos my description is probably off!!

Attachments

• desk01.jpg
    desk01.jpg
    546.8 KB · Views: 1,681
Those clamps are semi-useless, I've seen people using exclusively those on G27's and have them break off.

I used to mount it with bolts rather, but I assume you do not want to drill that particular desk.

Upvote 0
Yeah I'd rather avoid it if possible. However I guess a couple of holes might be ok?

I was amazed when setting it up how little "reach" they have. I would have though common sense would have suggested they need to be longer?

Upvote 0
Yeah my DFGT and then my T500 used to slip and come loose all the time a few years ago I just bit the bullet and put 2 holes in my desk for the T500 and never looked back. Currently have a KEA kitchen worktop [28mm] as my desk and the wheel doesn't budge when it's fastened on. I was using roofing bolts as they have a flat wide head that will take a big screwdriver, but I've just got some bolts with a star head handle off Amazon to try instead so I can do them by hand (not tried them yet).

I've recently got one of those big mouse mats that goes under the keyboard as well that covers up the holes but before that the keyboard was covering them most of the time anyway.

If you're going to drill holes then look if there's a drilling template (for cockpit mounting) for your wheel and try and get the drill as vertical as possible so you don't have to make the holes too big.

IMG_20190113_195633-1843x1382.jpg

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back