AC G55 Supercup @ Mugello - Wed 27 March 2019

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
I supose that the problem with these paid mods are the small ammount of people who own them. Then again, a league or club racing series involving them might be the thing to make them more popular. I haven't managed to dial in the AI so that I can have a proper race. I always get punted out of a corner or some sort of schumacker manoeuver where the AI suddenly decides that the racing line is right where I am and basically crashes into me...

Indeed that is a big issue, you always take a gamble, although there are ways to try and reduce the gamble. Like this car we are using for this event, it is a gamble, although I love it, many might not. I have reduced the gamle as much as possible, I have checked the amount of downloads, it is a free car and we used her sister two weeks ago to great success. This is why you see a lot of "play it safe" cars are used, for events. Getting a full grid is lovely, that is your number one goal, but not always possible. The bare minimum would be ten, any less and you may as well cancel the event.

I know some members love formula cars, I do also, problem is, you are lucky if you manage to get ten drivers, this is why you see very few formula events at RD, the numbers are just not there, yes it is sad, but it is a fact. Same with classic cars, you just do not get the numbers, we have a staff member that is crazy about anything classic, but he rarely gets anymore than ten sign ups. Group C cars, I love them, but again you are lucky to get ten drivers sign up. We have to cater, just like anybody else, for the majority and not the minority.

If we had more people come forward that have the time to host events, then maybe we could start catering for the minority also :thumbsup:

Yeah. I was thinking about why GT3 and other gt cars are so popular. I think it comes down to a couple of things. For once, they look like cars you can actually drive. It is all very nice to see a formula car but you don't get that feeling of actually being in control of a car you can actually buy or that decorates your wall in the form of a poster. Sure GT3s are anything but common cars but they are recognizable and a lot of love that people have for certain brands or cars gets easily transferred there. When I was a kid my favourite class (after group C for other reasons) was the BPR GT Championship as it had the F40 in it. I would rather watch that than formula 1 and it has never really gone away. The GT cars of the 2000s were also my favourite class because they looked like real cars in part.

I love driving formulas mind you. Just not a fan of watching them.

Then comes the simulation part of it. Until recently I didn't own a separate gear lever so I was using the paddle shifters for everything. It sucks. You struggle to find details in the car that are immediately apparent with the stick. Gt cars nowadays are all flappy paddle affairs so with a T150 you get all the buttons and knobs you need to simulate them precisely. Also with ABS and TC they correct misrakes you make abd are more forgiving givibg you the confidence to be faster sooner without owninga decent set of pedals. Wit the accelerator and brake of said T150 you can drice a GT3 competently.
Driving a classic like a Group C car on the same setup becomes the same as a GT3 only harder because it doesn't grip so well, no traction control and ABS etc etc.

Also, because these classic cars aren't racing anymore, it is hard to find a connection to them. My dad was a huge motorsports enthusiast and I grew up with stories about Jim Clark, Fangio, Mario Andretti and cars like the 917, the 908, the ferraris 512, the GT40 DRM (which my dad told me were close to F1 in erms of speed) as well as watching Senna do incredible stuff in F1 (some of my first motorsport memories). So when I do a 1967 Gran Prix or a 1991 there is an emotional link that makes me want to try it. Same with Group C. The first time I saw a group C car on TV (Sauber C9 1989 Le Mans) I remember asking my dad if that car was a spaceship and I was fascinated by them since then. They just looked awesome and to a 4 year old exactly what a race car should look like. By comparison Formula 1 looked fragile and uncool. I honestly thought they had to be the fastest car ever because they looked like it. Sadly Bernie thought so too as he finished group C shortly thereafter so they wouldn't overshadow F1...

So yeah, I think a mix of easiness to simulate, easiness to drive and a lack of contact with the previous generations of cars is responsible for the overall enthusiasm for the newer GT series and lack of enthusiasm for participating in an historical championship.

Btw, I would be up for a Group C drive :)

This post was made by @Martin Kraaijenbrink I actually believe that it is a very good idea :thumbsup:

For me, if the car is fun to drive, I'm generally game. A good example of this is I've been running the RSR series on SRS (stay that 3 times!) which is a fixed setup that gets raced once a week for 20mins. With limited practice, it makes it fun to jump in and try to figure it out on the fly. So when it comes to new cars, I do 4-5 laps and if I'm not having fun, I certainly don't want to spend 1.5hours on race night.

The good and bad of changing it up each time is blind guessing to see how well people respond to the change in vehicle or race format.

wowww!!
thanks for organizing.
would love to join.
new members are very welcome but you have to be premium user to join a race (its less than 10€ a year)
hape
Eligibility: You must be a PREMIUM member. You must also be using your FULL REAL NAME in any of the RD servers, on Teamspeak, in Assetto Corsa and on your forum profile (click here).

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back