F1 2010 Formula One 2010 (Codemasters)

F1 2010 The Game (Codemasters)

Bram Hengeveld

Site Founder
Staff
Premium
As seen on autosport.com - F1 News: New computer game deal for F1:

Formula One is to have its first official computer game in more than two years next season following the capture of a new official licencing deal with British gaming company Codemasters, autosport.com can reveal.
With Sony having published the most recent official F1 game last summer, based on the 2006 season and available only on PlayStation consoles, Codemasters' deal will see F1 return to a multiformat platform for the first time in many years.
The game is set to be available on all major home consoles, as well as handheld and PC gaming formats.
After weeks of discussion between Codemasters and Formula One Administration, it is anticipated that the company will produce the first game next year, based on the 2009 F1 season. This will be the first game that Lewis Hamilton will appear in.
Rod Cousens, chief executive officers of Codemasters, said: "Formula One is ambitious in expanding its reach with more circuits planned beyond recent additions in the Middle East and China. It is also ambitious in expanding its reach via technology.
"The digital communities that computer and video gaming creates will play a key role in further growing the F1 audience and connecting them globally.
"As a world-leading creator of driving games, this alliance with F1 is the jewel in Codemasters' racing crown and creates an undisputed segment champion."
Chris Deering, chairman of Codemasters, added: "Codemasters' success and recent innovations in the racing game space makes the company more than appropriately tuned for the challenge.
"The combination of F1's new momentum of expansion and Codemasters' contemporary technology and past experience is the breaking of a new dawn for the sport, on the track and on the HD game screen."
Codemasters Studios has already begun preparations for the major task of creating the new game, by strengthening their team with personnel from the now defunct Sega Racing Studio.
There are 350 people working on the project, which will be based on the EGO Engine that Codemasters has put to good use on the Colin McRae: DIRT and soon-to-be-released Race Driver: GRID titles.

The Studio Liverpool button press thing was bad. I figured they really just ran out of ideas and dev time so had to put something in and thats what they came up with fast. I don't mind the voice activation idea at the top post but I have no intention of sitting there talking to my computer. It would no idea what I was saying anyway. So if they put it in it best be optional. I'd be happy enough with the race07 style menu, straight forward simple and gets the job done.

CM statement on adding "Real F1 Voices"

madfiddler said:
Hey peeps,

There's a lot of really cool ideas being bounced here and we're taking note of every good idea which is being suggested. Keep them coming!

Just so you know, there are a lot of factors to take into account regarding the script for F1.

The first factor is concern regarding repetition. Those who have played GRID will understand that whilst playing the game, the pit chief became annoying saying the same sentences alot. This was using a game script which was over 3000 lines in size (for just the English). Game mechanics will dictate that certain phrases will naturally be said more than others. If we record 20-40 lines with each driver engineer (which would equate to 400 to 800 lines just for the driver engineer) you can imagine the horrible repetition you'd end up hearing.

For DiRT2, the English script has more than tripled to over 9000 lines. Then, remember that we want to translate to FIGSJ (French, Italian, German, Spanish, Japanese). That's now over 45000 lines of speech to record, process and ship on a disk. If each line is 3 seconds long, that's 37.5 hours of speech!

So, for a comfortable unrepetative script, with variation per line, just for the race engineer, you're probably looking at a good 500 lines per race engineer. Multiply that by the number of race engineers, 20, you're looking at 10,000 lines before you look at the translations. And that's for just the race engineer.

Next, just because Codemasters have the license to create an official Formula One racing video game, this does not automatically give us any more than the permission to create that game with access to data to re-create an accurate representation of the sport. What I mean is, we don't suddenly have free access to the race engineers to get them into a studio to record a script we have re-created - and believe me, these guys are really busy. Anything more than access to the data will come from the results of the hard work the Codemasters production team are putting in to build personal relationships with each and every team. They owe us nothing, we have to work to get them to give us what we need, and anything we get is gratefully received.

I hope that helps you understand the process that we will go through to create a good script that not only works with our English territories, but the foreign language territories which are very important to us.

m

nice to see them reply !

Morgan, I used to feel the way you do. I have to admit tho, if an F1 sim is too easy or even too managable, I would lose interest. It HAS to be a challenge! Not undrivable, as some sims have proven to be, but challenging enough to keep one "engrossed". Practice eventually reaps results and enjoyment, which I suppose is what every simracer yearns for. Let's hope Cody's can find the balance.

• Allan Minto

I,m hoping that this will be at least sim'ish, and I think it will be,...I hav'nt bought a codies game since Toca 3 and that was rancid rubbish,....got it only thinking it may be at least as good as Toca 2, (Bram, you hit the nail on the head with what you said mate,....great times) I still race with lots of guys from Toca 2, good fair racers too.

Bring on the circus :dance2:

All new tracks for F1 2009

Uncle Chewy said:
We are not recycling tracks from GRID. They are all being built from scratch with our new, updated Ego tech in mind (which is much better than you've seen in DiRT and GRID) and will be fully researched, photographed, scanned, videoed etc. to ensure accuracy.
wonderful

Great!:) The tracks in Grid were already wonderful and if they make them better... I can't imagine how good they'll look! Just I hope they'll optimize game performance better as if it will be a sim with better graphics than Grid, it'll have very high requiements!

That sounds promising indeed. But the tracks in Codies games are mostly super nice. Especially the toca series had some incredible tracks imo.

Now some good cars and gameplay and it might work out nicely. Defo on my purchase list for 2009!

Official CM Statements:

Feb 9:

"We're planning on having full length races right down to very short races for those that want it. Tyre wear and pit stops etc will be scaled accordingly so that they all still make sense. The integration of this and the lap length is still being investigated."

What does this statement say :) That they are trying to make a simulation but then they say its not yet decided and up for discussion.

A F1 game should have 100 procent race distances for those that want to do an offline championship simulation (like in the old days with GP2 :D)

there was a question as to whether we'd get full races [believe it or not !!] and if we'd get the ability to do 1/2 distances or 10 laps with scaled pits / wear

it's more a confirmation of what we hope for, but were not sure of.

i'll add more official statements here to keep you posted, although this 1st one was not a blockbuster ! :)

It seems Codemasters are working very secretly and quietly or they don't work on this project at all :D ...Because i searched many place, no information, no screenshot, other than community of codemasters, there is nothing. And as you know there are only unofficial people talking about the game.

Even at the webpage of Codemasters, there is not a game of f1 in their games list section....At this list there are even games will come out next year .... I think we will have to wait for moreeee looong......:disapointed::disapointed::pissed-off:

I think this is because of the release date being so late into the season Omer. The pressure on them is already high as can be seen at their forums. releasing too much now with 8 months dev time left will only fuel that, along with the start of the new season. I think we might see some kind of output when the new season begins but if not I think its likely to be much, much later.

on the CM F1 Forum, the producers of the game do chat with us

Oh..Really ...sorry then for giving wrong information :(

I think this is because of the release date being so late into the season Omer. The pressure on them is already high as can be seen at their forums. releasing too much now with 8 months dev time left will only fuel that, along with the start of the new season. I think we might see some kind of output when the new season begins but if not I think its likely to be much, much later. 5 Hours Ago 12:20

Yes Dave, you must be right. It seems i need to be more patient :)

CM: "Our game will not be moddable. The data structures we use are very complex to make the most of current hardware and we'd have to release a whole range of editors, exporters and converters + you'd have to buy a range of expensive art tools to work with them. We will be releasing an F1 game every year so you should get all the latest data you need at the highest possible quality."

Sweet. Yearly realeases. I do hope this game is going to be good.

Hopefully they will make proper additions and developments each year like all the other sporting type releases do that follow that realease model.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.