Formula Jr. New Physics

The new physics to the Formula Junior car have got me at a total loss on how to drive it. My main dilemma that I've been struggling with is that for the life of me, I can't brake otherwise it's going to spin out entirely. This is a problem for obvious reasons, as I know that with cars like the Formula 3, at least there is some grip with it, but in the Formula Junior it's nearly impossible for me to get braking right. The heaviest examples are turns 1 and 5 at Brands Hatch, along with turn 1 at Mid-Ohio. both turn 1's have around issue, with Brands Hatch being worse, as I can't even brake in a straight line there without spinning. So if anyone has any advice, please by all means.

I have had trouble with the new FJR in fast corners, the back end is very light and more "lively". I've had to slow down to avoid spinning.... In another post it was mentioned that they have no downforce and in fact get lift at high speeds, which may explain it. I'm no setup guy, but maybe forward Brake Bias might help? I will try that and wait for wiser ones to correct me.

The strange thing about these cars in real life is that they actually generate lift instead of downforce at high speeds, so you can brake harder the slower you go. When braking at a high speed, you need to be really careful not to lock the tires.

I generally start with a brake pressure of 80 or so, then gradually increase it, seems to work for all the cars in RR that lock the fronts easily, do actually run a couple cars in the low 80's permanently.

I haven't driven the new FJR yet, but if they're anywhere close to how the Skippy drives (which they should I believe), you have to think about weight transfer *a lot*, so don't lift off completely while braking.

A couple of thoughts on the FRJs.

I really like the new physics as it feels more 'real' (whatever that means when I've never driven anything like it!!) but it is a handful especially under brakes.

A few things I've found (which supports what others have said above):

* brake in a straight line as much as possible (which you are doing);
* use the minimal force on the pedal to get the car to slow down (and it's not much compared to, say, the GTs) and apply the brakes progressively (i.e. more as the car slows down rather than all at once);
* careful on the downshifts (perhaps a split second later than you might otherwise);
* stay on (but obviously reduce) the throttle while braking - well not always but it's especially helpful in faster corners to reduce oversteer;
* move the brake bias forward (e.g. the default set up at Slovakiaring is 51-49 but I find 54-46 or even 55-45 is better). You end up with cold rear brakes but that doesn't seem to matter (at least at my "pace").

The FRJs are also more tricky at some tracks than others - presumably partly due to the default set ups. For example I find the FRJs pretty stable at Zhuhai but a handful at Slovakiaring.

I am also slower on the new physics - as its harder. My best lap on the new physics at Slovakiaring is 5 seconds (!!!:confused:!!!) slower [edit: now 4 - yay) than my old physics lap record. But I am enjoying the challenge a lot more so I'm okay with that.:cool:

Last edited:
Can't say I had any real issues driving the car, at least not at Zandvoort (and I didn't try anything else yet), it felt pretty natural to me. And I guess I can be somewhat fast when hotlapping (though not always, as my current struggles with certain Aussie track in rF2 prove), but rarely am I able to translate that pace into actual races. Oh well, just keep swimming I guess.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back