[Fixed] Post rating (temporary) disabled

Bram Hengeveld

Site Founder
Staff
Premium
We have installed the post rating modification a while back to give users an extra option to leave feedback on quality posts.

While at first the system was used as designed and well received as of late there are a growing number of people blatantly abusing the system by downvoting threads of certain users without ever explaining why.

As we are primarily a discussion forum where people can agree and disagree with each other and discuss certain topics the post ratings were installed as a bonus feature not to replace posts in a discussion.

Unfortunately it's costing our staff too much time on daily basis to deal with this abuse.

Until we find a way to deal with the abuse we are putting the post ratings on hold and revert back to the build in likes system.

We hope you understand this decision.

Im the founder and administrator of a forum and i must say i really like the previous rating system.
Its a lazy way of telling the person what you think or to show your interest in posts you might not want to reply reply to. I have used the agree and disagree (no so often) function and i dont think "disagree" is a bad thing. A written reply weighs much more and the ratings just shows roughly what the opinion is about the post.

I prefer the old rating system but the "Like" system also work.. but i hate the word LIKE. I dont always like the posts i like.

Great quote from Jim Jefferies (stand-up comic) that's incredibly relevant here, (swearing omitted lol):
"In Society we have to play to the 1% that are such D-Bag's that they ruin it for the rest of us. We have to walk as slow as our slowest person, to keep society moving."

Unfortunately the actions of a few have ruined it for the many, and until those people can learn to behave like mature human beings, then the previous rating system allowed for mass abuse.

Sad to see a great feature removed because a minority can't behave.

This community here has appeared very friendly and mainly mature to me, that's why i like i so much in here. Just don't start a discussion comparing 2 sims and you should be fine *g*

Hope we'll see a return of the rating system in some way or the other.
"Like" just doesn't cut it.

I think the argument for getting rid of the disagree/dislike options is an easy one. There is no need for an explanation with a positive post because it is self-explanatory but with a disagree vote it is a counter point of view and you shouldn't be able to say "NO" without explaining yourself. I do like the positive emo's though it helps build community and "Good Vibes Man"

you shouldn't be able to say "NO" without explaining yourself.

I think in the majority of cases a disagree is likely as obvious as an agree / like. However a dislike IMO should be backed up with a comment.

Anyhow it seems like removing the tags for everyone is an over reaction (but I have no idea for the magnitue of the issue)... Why not remove the feature from the abusive people? (If possible) Let the users police the forum, if someone gets too many complaints then it's no more tags for them.

I wonder.

Is it the post rating that is the issue? Or could it be the connection of the ratings and a users profile?
Bring back the ratings but don't reveal the score in a users profile perhaps. This way the ratings can't be used as a weapon per se.

I wonder.

Is it the post rating that is the issue? Or could it be the connection of the ratings and a users profile?
Bring back the ratings but don't reveal the score in a users profile perhaps. This way the ratings can't be used as a weapon per se.
The issue was/is that people dislike posts of a certain person, just because he/she is posting it. Not 'I am liked more than you were'. :p

The issue was/is that people dislike posts of a certain person, just because he/she is posting it. Not 'I am liked more than you were'. :p

Yes I agree for normal persons. But apparently we have a group that is disagree/dislike for no reason (not so normal imo).

Anyhow, I'm just thinking out loud on the problem :speechless:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea