First Wheel

Hi All!

I need your advice on what would a decent wheel to start with. I never had one, so I just want to hear your opinion about it. What would you suggest? It also should be quite economical (I'm not aiming for G25), but reliable just to begin with.

Thanks for your suggestions.

P.S. Happy upcoming holidays.

Hi again, I didn't had time to sit down and look trought the answers, but now I gonna try to answer as many as I can:

1.My budget is an estimated £155 (I hope my maths didn't let me down :D, but I hope it can be slighly expanded if I really, really want to) which is not very far from G25 as I understood from Alex, right, or my english let me down? :) (I should do a bit more research because the one I found is ~£250 :eek: ), but is it worth going for as for a first wheel? Because until the present moment haven't tested any wheels (except from random tries at my friends -does that sentence makes sense?), so they all are pretty much the same for me:D
2.After reading the replies I got confused about the DFGT because it seems everyone has a different opinion about it :confused:
3.Just to make clear to all I play mostly sims (GTR2 (love it), rFactor, sometimes have a go in RBR).
4.Another thing that got my attention :confused: is different pedal-wheel combo's. My question would be: Is wheel and pedals are independant from each other, regardless of the manufacturer?
5.Talking about driving style (If anyone cares) I prefer smoothness and sometimes probably go a bit overcautious (but hey, there is always room for improvment)

He might not be aware of the quality gap between each product........had I been aware, I'd never have wasted money and time on junk like DFGT and their kind.
Other people will also read this thread and can learn of my contempt for DFGT's, LOL.

My only "Wheel" experience was running at Grannys pace (and I mean it :D ) at SPA, and I cannot even recall what wheel that was, so yes, you are absolutely right about "not being aware".

I hope this explains the main questions, if something is not clear to you - reply, and will try to use the best of my english knowledge to reply back.

Cheers, RC.

Upvote 0
Basically, if you can afford a G25/G27, or even better, a fanatec GT2/GT3/CSR/CSR Elite wheel, then go for one of those. I bought the DFGT because of its price, and because i wasn't sure i'd enjoy using a wheel.

The majority of DFGT owners are happy with their product, but if you can afford it, then go for the next level up.

And yes, you can use Logitech/Fanatec wheels and pedals together. I use my DFGT with Fanatec Club-sports.

Upvote 0
Basically, if you can afford a G25/G27, or even better, a fanatec GT2/GT3/CSR/CSR Elite wheel, then go for one of those. I bought the DFGT because of its price, and because i wasn't sure i'd enjoy using a wheel.

The majority of DFGT owners are happy with their product, but if you can afford it, then go for the next level up.

And yes, you can use Logitech/Fanatec wheels and pedals together. I use my DFGT with Fanatec Club-sports.

:confused: I thought Logitech G-thing was "The King", but you say that fanatec is better. Is that correct? Are fanatec wheels more expensive than G-thing?

Upvote 0
Without question, if you can afford the G25/27 then go for one of those, or as said above the Fanatec wheels and pedals. You won't regret that decision as your racing experience will be better with fewer feelings that your equipment held you back.

Upvote 0
Logitech G27 on amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002PHN5...de=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B002PHN5W6

Fanatec GT3 with Clubsport pedals: http://www.fanatec.de/webshop/new_e...id=88&osCsid=aa12503c70a666146653457bcc6499ca

Incidentally, the DFGT on amazon is quite expensive, so obviously a G27 would be more preferable in this scenario:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=103612307&pf_rd_i=B002PHN5W6

I'm sure many people would argue that Logitech is better than Fanatec, and vice-versa. From what i've read and undertsand, Fanatec has the edge in overall quality, but has a worse reputation for their products failing. However, when my fanatec pedals malfunctioned, my experiences with their customer service were second to none, while none of my logitech products have broken down at all! Both companies make great products, so no matter which you choose you'll get a nice piece of kit.

Another thing to consider is whether you want a wheel and pedals that work with ps3/xbox/pc, or whether you just want them for the pc, as Fanatec's GT2 and CSR + CSR Elite wheels are compatible with all three.

Upvote 0
Re-reading(?) your replies it seems that it's a matter of not rushing to make a quick choise. So basically G27 - The Aim, if you can't hit it - buy Fanatec (I think I will need to have a nerve to just not rush). It was useful info (I had no idea that there is such thing as Fanatec). Ross: I don't know why, but just that "customer servise" thing makes me want to go with G because I do not trust that (cause I think a lot of weird stuff can happen with it - Don't ask me why). Anyway, I got enought info, hope I didn't waste too much of your precious time. Thanks everyone for taking your time and expressing your opinions and suggestions. Hope to see you on circuit in some time.

P.S. What's with the fuss (arguing about a wheel, wheel is supposed to make you have fun. And the thread is suppose to give help and advice, not to make people argue) , I hope this thread will be useful to someone like me in the future.

Cheers everyone.

Upvote 0
The majority of DFGT owners are happy with their product,

I was happy with it till I realized that no matter what I did, I couldn't improve my laptimes.....but this is changing dramatically with G27 as I get faster every few days.
Another thing is superior wheel and FFB at high speed, superior paddles shifters, superior 6 speed shifter etc, so you go faster and enjoy it more as well.

Upvote 0
Hey, I just want to show a little comparison, feel free to express your thoughts (I hope I do not annoy you, if so - ignore me :p ):

1.G25 :eek: £101 on e-bay (auction) it's not gonna work out that way (hello auction :()

2.G27 £170 on amazon (it seems to me that it's only a wheel) http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002PHN5...de=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B002PHN5W6

3.GT3 £271 on fanatec.de :eek: (frauds)

4.G27 £255 (local site)

5.Driving Force GT £149 on logitech.com

(all these are from the links above except the local one of course)

Upvote 0
The G27 is not sold in any other package other than Wheel, H-Shifter, 3-Pedal set and PSU, so that Amazon deal is real... unfortunately, out of stock.... seen this before and they rarley come back in at the same price.

However... for £169.99 deleivered, play.com have them in stock :)

Just upgraded to a T500 and sold my G27 for £150 on a well know auction site, having had a DF, DFP and G25 prior to it, I can say it is the best of the Logitech wheels by far (not had a DFGT though). A few of my league associates have upgraded from a DFGT to a G27 and have commented that they are worlds apart in both quality and feel and features... particularly the pedals.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back