First Rig & RSeat S1 Woes

td1garage

Audi LMS/GT3
I've spent the last month or so doing quite a bit of heavy research into the right pieces for my first rig which will primarily be used in off-track/home training/practice for GT3 racing. Possibly some e-sports as it looks pretty fun as well. I went through hell with the research and ended up making mostly good choices and a couple of not-so-good choices.

It all started with a RSeat S1, I liked the look of it and the fact that a seat was included, which didn't look horribly uncomfortable. My quick bit of research didn't lead me to a lot of issues with the S1, minor flex in the steering deck that wasn't easily felt when racing, I could live with it, especially as my inexperience led me to purchase a Fanatec DD1 & Inverted V3 Pedals. With these on the rig, I didn't notice the steering flex much at all (and noticed no pedal flex) and was pretty happy.

That was until I wasn't that thrilled with the DD1 & Inverted Pedals. Wasn't getting the kind of road detail & pedal feel was hoping to and further research revealed that a Simucube 2 Ultimate & Heusinkveld Sim Pedals Ultimate would be a better fit given my use. They were exactly what I was hoping for, great road feel through and the pedals, after some tweaking, feel fantastic - can pretty much perfectly replicate the R8 GT3 pedal feel.

This is where the RSeat S1 fails, and fails hard. The pedal flex, no matter how they're mounted (included with the HE Pedal Plate), is MASSIVE. It's to the point where it drastically alters the feel of braking making it basically mush. The steering flex is just as bad, with the DD1, it was noticeable but not noticeable while driving, with the Ultimate it is considerably more noticeable.

As of now, this is my current rig:
  • RSeat S1 (black/red alcantara)
  • Simucube 2 Ultimate
  • Heusinkveld Sim Pedals Ultimate
  • Heusinkveld Ultimate/Pro Base Plate
  • Sim Racing Bay Wireless GT3 Wheel
  • 4Play Racing 3 Monitor Stand
  • 3 x 32” Samsung C32HG70
  • Digital Storm Aventum X Tower (9900k OC’d, 2x 2080ti, Custom Watercooling Loop)
I've got a couple of additional wheels on the way, the OMP GT3 Wheel from Simucube & a custom Turn Racing one. Those are both exciting but the one I'm most excited for (and will probably take the longest) is an OEM R8 GT3 wheel that I'm having converted.

What's next is now figuring out the ideal 80/20 setup. I don't have the luxury of time and continuing to fiddle with and replace pieces, I need a functional setup for when I'm home so I can practice as much as possible. To this end, I was really hoping to order a Sim-Lab P1-X but with their current store shutdown and unknown return + lead times, that made it very difficult. What I did manage to do is catch a Trak Racer TR160 in stock and have ordered that - I'm hoping it'll solve the flex issues and take a really nice carbon OMP HTE-R :geek:.

IMG_1269.jpg

Sorry to hear about your experience with the Rseat. I nearly went down the same path as you, including with the Fanatec DD1. I did a bunch of research and did not hear a lot of good about Fanatec. Ultimately, I went with the Simlab P1-X -- I ordered Jan 1, it will ship tomorrow -- finally.

I also have HE pedals, a Bodnar 53 wheel, Ascher racing paddles/button box with a OEM GT3 wheel, AIOlogs SQ shifter, HE handbrake -- all waiting to be mounted to the P1-X.

Curious how the 2x 2080Ti's work with three monitors. I am currently on 1x 2080ti and 9900k@5ghz, with a 34" Alienware monitor. I thinking about triples, but probably want more than 27" and 1080p. How does the system spread load of 3 monitors over 2 video cards?

Cheers,
Dominic

Upvote 0
The RSeat continues to get worse. No matter how torqued down the bolts holding the steering assembly are, I can move it up and down with little force. Guess I'll try adding lock washers next.

@djm68 Nice - you're going to have a beast of a rig when it's all said and done! I wish I would've ordered a P1-X when they were still taking orders. I'm not entirely sure how it distributes the load. When I was running a single monitor with NVLink, you could set the mode to boost performance and then it would be game dependent on whether or not the second GPU made any difference. When you go surround you have to change the mode from boost performance to surround at which point I'm not sure what it's doing.

I've only used ACC so far - I get 140+ FPS consistently no matter what and that's with all graphic options completely maxed out at 7680 × 1440.

Upvote 0
Your TRX160 is very similar to the P1-X -- once you have that set up, you'll be good to go. Post pics when you get it setup.

I built my PC myself in an ITX format (only one PCIE slot) -- so if I want to go dual GPUs, I will need new case, power supply, and motherboard, but will be able to reuse the rest. If I do go triples, I think I want to go for 32s rather than 27's.

Cheers,
djm

Upvote 0
@djm68 In completely expected news, the TR160 order was some kind of glitch on their site, it's out of stock till the end of march. They're sending me a TR80 for the short term and i'll either order a P1-X once they open the store again, or a TR160 when it's back in stock. Hopefully the TR80 will be enough for now. Will def post pics!

I mounted a 27" & 32" side-by-side on my triple mount to see the difference, the extra vertical space in the 32" brings so much more immersion - it's a must.

Upvote 0
@djm68 In completely expected news, the TR160 order was some kind of glitch on their site, it's out of stock till the end of march. They're sending me a TR80 for the short term and i'll either order a P1-X once they open the store again, or a TR160 when it's back in stock. Hopefully the TR80 will be enough for now. Will def post pics!

I mounted a 27" & 32" side-by-side on my triple mount to see the difference, the extra vertical space in the 32" brings so much more immersion - it's a must.

I am not surprised to hear about the 160 being out of stock -- I was about to order, but before doing so I send an email asking if it was actually in-stock and ready to ship. Head of sales replied stated that last one 'just sold' and will not be in-stock until March; I went to their website and sure enough, they were listed as 'pre-order'. This was on Jan 22.

Thanks for the tip on the 32" vs 27" -- I am all ready shopping motherboards and cases!

BTW: you track a real car, correct?

Cheers,
djm

Upvote 0
I am not surprised to hear about the 160 being out of stock -- I was about to order, but before doing so I send an email asking if it was actually in-stock and ready to ship. Head of sales replied stated that last one 'just sold' and will not be in-stock until March; I went to their website and sure enough, they were listed as 'pre-order'. This was on Jan 22.

Thanks for the tip on the 32" vs 27" -- I am all ready shopping motherboards and cases!

BTW: you track a real car, correct?

Cheers,
djm

Their website, when I ordered the other day, listed as in-stock. Was a glitch as they confirmed, unfortunately.

I do, this will hopefully be my first year in a few GT3/GTE events with the R8 LMS GT3 Evo.

Upvote 0
I do, this will hopefully be my first year in a few GT3/GTE events with the R8 LMS GT3 Evo.

Wow, the major leagues -- very cool! I do time trials and take part in a competitive hillclimb series (2012 Cayman R , highly modified) -- it is grassroots series, great fun, great crowd. Has the vibe of what I believe road racing was like in the 60s.

Upvote 0
Go SimLab all the way. I had an RseatS1 it was a huge disappointment. I purchased my RseatS1 last summer and my son purchased a SimLab P1-X - as soon as I saw his rig vs my Rseat I knew I made a mistake, not only is the P1-X much more solid and adjustable, by the time I added on the attachments for my triple screens, and button box the P1-X was less expensive. Also, when I received my RSeat S1 one of the monitor stands were bent, I contacted Rseat and they just gave me the run around - if anyone wishes to see the emails I sent and the replies back from Rseat you‘ll quickly realize they do not stand behind their product. I ended up selling my rig for 1/4 of what I paid and purchased a P1-X. Now I am much happier and the best part, my times are as good as my sons. I learned long ago to only do business with reputable people and businesses - I just made the mistake of believing that Rseat‘s nice website would mean their company was reputable and their products would be well built - live and learn, but at least I can help others from making the same mistake I did. Do not waste your money on an RseatS1 no matter how nice the website and video is, buy a SimLab P1-X - you’ll be glad you did.

Upvote 0
Second that, while I don't have an S1, I have an RS1 which in design is weaker than the S1, but never expected it to be this weak. Even with some low-end load-cell pedals the flex is horrible and with a 30NM direct drive wheel it's a wobbly mess. The seat is also very uncomfortable for longer stints so yes, please take our advice and go SimLab.

Upvote 0
Sorry to hear about your experience with the Rseat. I nearly went down the same path as you, including with the Fanatec DD1. I did a bunch of research and did not hear a lot of good about Fanatec. Ultimately, I went with the Simlab P1-X -- I ordered Jan 1, it will ship tomorrow -- finally.

I also have HE pedals, a Bodnar 53 wheel, Ascher racing paddles/button box with a OEM GT3 wheel, AIOlogs SQ shifter, HE handbrake -- all waiting to be mounted to the P1-X.

Curious how the 2x 2080Ti's work with three monitors. I am currently on 1x 2080ti and 9900k@5ghz, with a 34" Alienware monitor. I thinking about triples, but probably want more than 27" and 1080p. How does the system spread load of 3 monitors over 2 video cards?

Cheers,
Dominic
What negative things have you heard about Fanatec? My DD2/p1-x have been flawless.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

RS1 is not really meant to be used with any serious load cell pedals or direct drive wheels.
Served me well with G27 and T300RS, after moving to HE pedals and DD wheels (OSW and SC2) was a nightmare with pedal deck and wheel mount flexing. Gave RS1 away to a friend and got myself P1X. Super happy, should have done it long ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
I very nearly found myself on this same path. I tried to buy an rseat however due to international purchase restrictions I was unable to do so. I ultimately ended up with a custom aluminum extrusion build that I am regularly updating and tinkering with. I am very happy with it overall. Especially now that I find myself with HE pedals and a direct drive wheel on the way :thumbsup:.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back