PC2 First News of Project CARS 2 DLC Packs Revealed

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Project CARS 2 DLC and Pre Order Details Revealed.png

Well the game isn't out until around September 2017 but already we get our first look at some of the DLC due to be added to Project CARS 2 post go live later this year...

DLC or additional paid content is now seen as an essential way to extend the life expectancy and financial position of a game long after the original release, be it on console or PC and regardless of genre. Some love this new found industry policy and some yearn for the days of buying a physical disk in the shop and having the full and final package available from day one. However in 2017 DLC content post release is as inevitable as a poor Jeremy Clarkson pun or a misjudged Ferrari pitstop strategy, and Project CARS 2 will be no different from it's immediate PC and console rivals in that respect, with fresh news of some upcoming DLC packs that should be made available for the game once it releases toward the end of 2017.

Coming to light as part of the pre-order details surrounding the title, fans have now been made aware of two new DLC packs due to be added to the simulation and they contain a nice mix of iconic road and racing cars.

Following on from the trend started by Assetto Corsa, one of the packs coming to Project CARS 2 will focus on cars of a Japanese origin, with four attractive sounding machines from the land of the rising sun due to make their way to the sim, mixing up desirable road and race machines of both the real and concept car variety. The Japanese pack has come to light as it is due to form part of the package available to players who purchase the 'Project CARS 2 Ultra Edition' and as such individual DLC pack prices and release dates remain unannounced at this moment in time. You can check out the details of the cars due to be included below -

Japanese Car Pack:
  • Nissan’s infamous Group A R32 Skyline GT-R
  • Nissan’s sublime 280ZX GTX race car
  • The Euro-spec’ Honda Civic Type R, a modern day hot-hatch
  • Honda's 2&4 Concept Car—get a feel for the future with this 13,000rpm collaboration between automotive and motorcycle design that screams performance
As part of the same 'Ultra Edition' pre order deal, details of another exclusive release package have surfaced in the form of the Motorsports Pack DLC, however this collection of cars will not be released for the general public to purchase and will instead release as exclusive content to players who buy either the Ultra Edition, Collectors Edition or DLC Season Pass licence. Again containing four cars, the 'Motorsports Pack' is limited to some incredible racing cars of years past, from the 1974 Jaguar E-Type to the very recent TCR specification Opel (Vauxhall over here in Blighty) Astra TCR, a first official inclusion of a TCR specification car in a modern racing simulation. You can check out the contents of the exclusive 'Motorsports Pack' DLC below -

Motorsports Pack (Exclusive to Season Pass owners and/or Collector’s, and/or Ultra Edition owners).
  • The 1974 Jaguar E-Type V12, Group 44—beauty, speed, and an absolute motoring icon
  • The Panoz Esperante GTR-1—a ’90s GT stalwart
  • The Audi 1991 V8 DTM—a DTM legend with 460hp @ 9,500RPM
  • The 2016 Opel Astra TCR—a 300hp Touring Car monster
Additionally as has become normal practice in the gaming industry SMS will be making available a 'Season Pass' opportunity for gamers who anticipate purchasing all the DLC for Project CARS 2. Much like with other modern games, the Season Pass will be priced at a lower cost that purchasing each DLC individually and will make available all new DLCs plus some exclusive content mentioned above immediately upon release of the relevant pack.

Season Pass
"Project CARS 2 will be fully-supported post-launch with new, bold additional content featuring dozens of cars, as well as many tracks that will enhance and extend the overall experience. All these additional contents will be available to Season Pass holders the instant they are released at no charge"

For those of you interested in the limited edition 'Ultra Edition' Project CARS 2, the game is available to pre order on all platforms now and contains the following features:
  • Limited to only 1,000 copies
  • Includes the full Project CARS 2 game in an exclusively designed, premium-packaged Steelbook™ case, the world’s most sought-after collectable packaging
  • A 1/12 scale resin model car of the gorgeous McLaren 720S in one-off SMS-R Stealth Satin
  • The McLaren 720S Sketchbook: Take a unique journey through the development of this ground-breaking supercar. Exclusively created in partnership with the design team from McLaren, the book lifts the covers on the making of the 720S, including never-before-seen early sketches and models, clays and renders, and guides you all the way through to the final production of McLaren’s new supercar
  • The Project Cars 2 Art Book: A beautifully crafted book that takes you behind the scenes to reveal how the raw excitement of the racing world has been brought to life in the virtual realm. Featuring exclusive images taken throughout the development process, the 200-page book demonstrates the immense attention to detail that is the hallmark of the game, whilst showcasing the stunning new cars and true-to-life locations that make this the world’s premiere motorsports game
  • The Esport Live VIP Pass: Present this pass to any Slightly Mad Studios, or Bandai Namco staff member at Project CARS Esports live events anywhere in the world, and you will be treated to the full benefits that come from being a Project CARS VIP. Meet the team, jump to the front of the queue, or maybe even pick up some free swag!
  • An individually-numbered, embroidered Snapback cap
  • A stunning Project CARS 2 poster signed by the SMS team as well as the real-world drivers who make up Team SMS-R
  • A Project CARS 2 Sticker Sheet: Unique and stunning Project CARS, SMS-R, and Esports imagery and iconography
  • The exclusive Japanese Cars Pack. Revel in iconic JDM machinery with this added content that features four cars from iconic Japanese manufacturers Honda and Nissan:
  • Nissan’s infamous Group A R32 Skyline GT-R
  • Nissan’s sublime 280ZX GTX race car
  • The Euro-spec’ Honda Civic Type R, a modern day hot-hatch
  • Honda's 2&4 Concept Car—get a feel for the future with this 13,000rpm collaboration between automotive and motorcycle design that screams performance
  • The Season Pass: Project CARS 2 will be fully-supported post-launch with new, bold additional content featuring dozens of cars, as well as many tracks that will enhance and extend the overall experience. All these additional contents will be available to Season Pass holders the instant they are released at no charge
  • The Motorsport Pack*: Exclusively available to Season Pass holders, this exclusive, bonus pack of fan-favourite race cars includes:
  • The 1974 Jaguar E-Type V12, Group 44—beauty, speed, and an absolute motoring icon
  • The Panoz Esperante GTR-1—a ’90s GT stalwart
  • The Audi 1991 V8 DTM—a DTM legend with 460hp @ 9,500RPM
  • The 2016 Opel Astra TCR—a 300hp Touring Car monster
    *This content is not available for purchase, and only available to Season Pass holders, and/or Collector’s, and/or Ultra Edition owners

Project CARS 2 is scheduled for a release around September 2017 for both Xbox One and PlayStation 4 as well as on PC via the Steam network.

Project CARS 2 - 3.jpg
Project CARS 2 - 1.jpg
Project CARS 2 - 21.jpg

Want to know more about Project CARS 2? Fancy chatting to fellow game enthusiasts about what is known so far, or simply just to speculate on what the game could feature on release? Well look no further! Head over to the Project CARS 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment and get involved with the community discussion right now!

Like the look of the first announced DLC's? Any car strike your fancy particularly? Will you be digging deep in the pockets for the Ultra Edition of the game? Let us know in the comments section below!

1) Kunos always delivers core game updates (for free) with each DLC
2) Kunos didn't give the impression of cutting out cars six months before launch to sell them extra

So all these did not happen? Essentially, for you, if it doesn't happen to you, it means it never happened. Assetto Corsa console also has this kind of preorder nonsense where console gamers get shafted if they did not buy the Prestige edition.

505 struck a deal with retailers where only EB Games (at least where I am from) gets the version with 9 additional car DLC, so if you buy from elsewhere, you only get 3 cars. What's more, a lot of these cars are free content for us on PC while console gamers have to pay for it. Is there any difference to the pcars 2 preorder nonsense if not worse as console gamers had to pay more to access the same content?

prestige-pack.jpg

AssettoCorsaPerformance_preorderbonus-800x450.jpg

Also, Dirt 4 also have preorder crap.

DiRT4_Pre-order_giveaway.jpg

Or this with Project CARS 1 that SMS gave both DLCs out with every new copy for the first few months.

modified-cars-pack-800x298.jpg

project_cars_le111.jpg

Even Dirt Rally have preorder bullshit. Yeah, this also never happened to PC gamers so that does not matter too. Hence, it can be ignored too.

dirt_rally_legend_edition.jpg

Surprisingly, Forza and GT kinda stop doing this kinda of crap with specially skinned cars in the latest game. However, now, you get this sort of bullshit with Horizon 3.

71c37858-1a57-4966-a17a-038e9d74e8cb.jpg

The ultimate edition cost like $100. That's $100 on day 1 with 2 DLCs, then, along with 6 more planned before release. Not to forget, there is that expansion pass that cost another $40 and even more DLC (like recent Porsche DLC) that they did not include in ultimate edition.

Some people are acting like this is some sort of oddity while it had been happening for a long time in many games that has the retail presence. All these "sim" racers are still stuck in 1997 where they expect a full game with complete features for $40. Sorry guys, it is 2017 now and the game industry has changed where I think it may be a good idea to sharpen and keep your pitchforks for a racing game to have fuel/tires consumable microtrasactions that are similar to those predatory mobile games. Also, the irony that these people can spend thousand of dollars on the expensive hardware, expensive games like R3E and iRacing yet complains about some stupid preorder bonuses for a $60 when it is very much a norm these days. Even after years, I still hate it but business is a business.You are always welcome not to buy them then complaining as if they owe you the game.

Retailers love this sort of stupid preorder bonuses because it moves a lot of copies for them with some customers. Limited Edition these days means little as you can find them fairly easily at retail for the first few months. Or if you shop around smartly, you still can snag the full LE game with less than $60.

Last edited:
@ Cheesenium
You've most definitely got a valid point there. The difference though IMHO is that the DLC issues (with regards to PCars2 at least) is a symptom of customers being P!ssed at them for how the PC1 release and its support were handled by SMS. The sentiment for some is that they would like to see a solid title, that is on a much improved level than what PC1 was on release, before committing to DLC. (show us that it is really worth investing our hard earned money in the product)
That's where AC, Dirt Rally and the like differ, as customers could get access to the early access programs generally at fairly reasonable costs leading up to release. Because of the risk attached to early access titles and it being clearly stated, those customers are perhaps more forgiving of certain issues up to the point of the title going into full release. So more customers grow along with the title as well - warts and all. Those warts are also well documented, criticized on many media platforms though and expected to be fixed.
The PC formula is somewhat different with their crowd funding and it's a more closed system than Steam early access in that respect. We have to rely on feedback from guys who currently have access to PC2 for the feedback we need and we cannot get by experiencing it for ourselves. PC1 had this as well. The feedback on PC1 was great from the backers and based on the huge expectation that this created along with the title not living up to that expectation on release day, is IMHO what is creating the negative sentiments and the DLC backlash. Because there is a possibility of that happening again. I'm not knocking backers or those who are fortunate to have access to the title, providing information to the community within the constraints of the NDA, but as with anything it is always important to get independent reviews as well before committing to something.

(Please note that I am stating this within the context of the PC versions of the software and not the console versions as that is a whole different dynamic altogether)

Well, I'm not a poster here, but I take a look at Racedepartment every day.
It's a great source of info, not only for sim racing, but also real world motorsports.
Great work guys, love your site/forum.

I would like to take a chance to put here what I think. Maybe of topic (sorry).

I'm a WMD member since the start of PCars1 and I love it!

I want to take the chance to publically thank Ian Bell, SMS people and all WMD members for the incredible journey we had and still have.
It's just a bunch of people that love what they do, they love cars and racing. I look at that forum and I see really passionate people.
They are serious in what they do. They work really hard to achieve their targets.

For me Ian/SMS made something amazing and unique in the world of gaming. I feell part of the team that made PCars and I'm really proud of being there.
Certainly not everything is perfect, nothing is and I hope we go for PCars3 to try achieve perfection.

For me they are all friends (virtual ones i know).

Everything I do there is for free, hell I even paid to enter (but I will get the game), but since I have no time to develop mods for other games, it's the closest think I can do. And I'm happy (that's what we all want right?).

The funny thing is that we have some topics about other games at WMD and instead of trying to mock those games, I always see constructive criticism there.
"Hey look this game makes this better, can we achieve this..." or "We are already better there let's keep it..." That's the general comment inside WMD forums and I find it amazing and constructive.

Than I look at the forums from others, that I also like and I'm in shock! That's just sad.

Guys, just be happy, play what you like, do what you like, look at the others and think what they make better and help enhance your favourite sim. Don't loose time mocking PCars, while you loose time at that, PCars advances and I think most will be surprised with the result (at least that's what we want at WMD).

Once again, thanks Ian and SMS.
Also thank's to Racedepartment for existing.

Just be happy, but not at the cost of others hapiness.

Bye.

I don't think there is another sim game in the world that would attract this much hatred and opinion.

As you will know I am not a fan of SMS or Bell, I think he is the main reason why the company receives so much bad press in forums, and the game they released was a console game developed by testers who paid for the privilege. But were roundly hounded if they dared to speak out about issues. Warning SMS you know the for here. It was flawed in many ways but served a purpose. It was perhaps the best console next gen racing game, until AC came out. But that has similar flaws in a different area. Both are flawed. But then what game isn't.

At least they have been open about what they are doing. I don't like it, it sucks, but guys, you are responsible for the results. You have a fantastic opportunity here to show a company that doing things this way is not for you as a consumer.

You want content up front, not a game that has been completely finished, that is being priced as a complete game, yet will cost you upwards of 3 times the asking price to actually play completely over the months. Or a game that wants you to pay up front for it so they can spend that on marketing. I mean are you stupid guys? Cmon

I know this is the new age, but it only is because we have been stupid enough to roll over and have our belly tickled by devs. We have not said "NO". Look at Destiny and other titles on consoles, gamers have only themselves to blame.

And people like SMS know it. They will release it when nothing much is on, so you will be hankering for a new game, they will release endless trippy looking videos, have utter rot celebrity tie ins from people who they pay to say nice things, spam sites like this and others with updates and news abotu the 60 new things they changed and did.

So, it's up to you guys.

Are you going to remember what happened before and allow your lack of discipline to let SMS get away with this.

Or are you going to hold fast?

In the end when turnsout Pcars 2 is indeed as bad as most of us predict, the fanboys will still claim that it is a great game and that it is not sms fault.

Some people will never like nor appreciate anything SMS brings to the market regardless of how good it may be... That's just a fact. The other fact is regardless of whether you like it or not, there will be others that do like it. Your opinion will not sway theirs.

I'm not entirely sure why you care. Maybe you just like to post gibberish because you can. Just be happy there are this many options for sim racing at all. About 10 years ago, there weren't any options.

Just be happy there are this many options for sim racing at all. About 10 years ago, there weren't any options.
Hmm are you sure Kyle? Have you forgotten or you just don't know sim history? How about these PC sim legends:

Microprose Grand Prix 1
Microprose Grand Prix 2
Microprose Grand Prix 3
Microprose Grand Prix 4
Race 07
F1 2000
F1 Challenge 99-02
GTR
GTR2
GTR Evolution
Rfactor
Nascar Racing 2
Nascar Racing 2003
Nascar Heat
IndyCar Racing 2
Grand Prix Legends

To name just a few brilliant PC racing sims of the last 20 years. What were you saying about choice and options? :whistling::):thumbsup:

In the end when turnsout Pcars 2 is indeed as bad as most of us predict, the fanboys will still claim that it is a great game and that it is not sms fault.

You just want the game to be bad. Whatever floats your boat.

Essentially for me, I do not monitor console releases so I was talking about PC, yes. Amazingly enough I criticize things that relate to my life and not what relates to other people's life.

As I said, you only see what you like to see and ignore everything else that does not affect you. Narrow view on the world while being selfish.

Last edited:
Hmm are you sure Kyle? Have you forgotten or you just don't know sim history? How about these PC sim legends

No I haven't forgotten. But during the mid-2000's, nothing new was coming. Sure you had some gems already available but they were getting old during that time with nothing new on the horizon. It was also a bad time as there were a lot of rF1 mods that looked to be really good, which never materialized.

LOL !!! :roflmao::roflmao:
I think your math does not stick either: "most of us" probably meaning the haters that are so focused on pCars that they can't even resist "polluting" each and every topic about it.
But I can assure you that is a minority, a very small one compared to people who do like pCars.
Get over it.

LOL !!! :roflmao::roflmao:
I think your math does not stick either: "most of us" probably meaning the haters that are so focused on pCars that they can't even resist "polluting" each and every topic about it.
But I can assure you that is a minority, a very small one compared to people who do like pCars.
Get over it.
Youre right, the console player base is indeed much larger than the pc simracing community.

And ontop of the DLC already locked in months and months ahead of release, there is also a package locked behind having to purchase the more expensive versions of the game.
Fork out extra money for a "special" version, to then get the extra DLC pack. Amd then you can buy the other DLC packs too..

I don't mind DLC packs, and I remember expansion packs for games. But having this DLC already announced just rankles with me. Any kind of release day DLC.
If it's years later to extend the product, I'm fine with that. It may just be ignorance is bliss, but still
Agreed.

I don't mind DLC at all, but when it obviously could have been included with the core game, I end up feeling nickel and dimed.

Not that I'll buy them, but I don't have a problem with multiple pre-order editions either, as long as all game content is available a la carte.

I wish the Motorsport Pack wasn't exclusive to Season Pass buyers, but I'm not outraged.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 32 24.8%
  • More leagues

Votes: 26 20.2%
  • Prizes

Votes: 23 17.8%
  • Trophies

Votes: 14 10.9%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 7 5.4%