FFB wheel problem with RF2

Okay, you RF2 fans! Need your help on what I expect to be an easy issue to solve but I have not been able to figure out. I've owned RF2 for quite some time but I've barely logged any wheel time because of an issue I have with my CSW v2.5. I've looked thru the various set-up vids and stickies and it seems setting up FFB on a wheel should be a pretty unremarkable process yet RF2 is the only sim I have which produces this absolutely horrible spring effect.

Whenever I turn my wheel any degree left or right, I can feel a serious force trying to turn it for me. I'm thinking I need to invert the force but it doesn't seem like you can do that in the UI. I gave the config file a look but it wasn't obvious where I would implement an inversion setting. Or perhaps there is something else going on?

Would love to try out the new Sebring track and the GT3 and Edurance packs (didn't know these existed!).

Hi :)
Apparently there are 2 ways, both states in this thread: link

You should be able to click on some "detect" button that will get your wheel properly set up or I'd that doesn't work be able to load a controller profile with your wheel. Or at least some wheel with also inverted ffb (afaik logitech and thrustmaster are opposites).

If that also doesn't work you need to change a value in some file as states in that thread.

Hope that helps! :)

Worked a charm. Funny thing is I believe I touched that json file a long time ago. Must have because my strength setting was at -10000. Made that a positive and that did it.

RF2 is looking much better these days, I must say. Though I have to get used to it. Took a skippy out on Lime Rock and it was like driving on ice in the corners. Are stock set ups way out of wack? I changed some things which def helped but it was awfully difficult to drive. Not sure if RF2's physics are more accurate than iRacing but had to steer the car a LOT more with the throttle than I'm used to.

Anyway... looking forward to trying out Sebring and the newer cars. Thanks for the help!!

Worked a charm. Funny thing is I believe I touched that json file a long time ago. Must have because my strength setting was at -10000. Made that a positive and that did it.

RF2 is looking much better these days, I must say. Though I have to get used to it. Took a skippy out on Lime Rock and it was like driving on ice in the corners. Are stock set ups way out of wack? I changed some things which def helped but it was awfully difficult to drive. Not sure if RF2's physics are more accurate than iRacing but had to steer the car a LOT more with the throttle than I'm used to.

Anyway... looking forward to trying out Sebring and the newer cars. Thanks for the help!!
I find the Skip Barber a bit slippery, yes. No clue about lime rock...
If you want something awesome to drive try the Enduracers LMP3 at Road Atlanta.

Also: What was your real road setting? Most tracks start at "green" if you don't change anything and need to get rubbered by a few hundred laps (AI or Multiplayer) to feel decent.

Also: What was your real road setting? Most tracks start at "green" if you don't change anything and need to get rubbered by a few hundred laps (AI or Multiplayer) to feel decent.

I have no idea but it's things like that I will have to get used to with RF2. I'll def be buying both the GT3 and Endurance packs along with Sebring. Is Road Atlanta an official release or a mod?

I have no idea but it's things like that I will have to get used to with RF2. I'll def be buying both the GT3 and Endurance packs along with Sebring. Is Road Atlanta an official release or a mod?
Enduracers is free and road Atlanta too. Both to be found in the steam workshop :)

Last edited:
Little manual on how to get a rubbered track:
1. Set the real road to naturally progressing and give it some massive amount of AI!
rF2_Rubber_01.JPG

2. Go into settings -> controls -> check for the time accel. key. Go on track, stay in the pits, hit the time accel. key and drink a coffee or something :p
rF2_Rubber_02.JPG

3. Go back to the pits, go to "standings" and save the real road. It should be rubbered after around 15 minutes with Time Acceleration and 50 AI. Some tracks come with rubbered presets, some don't. I really hate this part of rF2...
rF2_Rubber_03.JPG

4. Last bit: Go back to the main menu, session settings -> real road: your saved settings :)
rF2_Rubber_04.JPG

And if you just wanna hop into Road Atlanta with already some serious rubber on it, put the attached file
(you have to delete the .ini at the end...) into:
\\Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\UserData\player\Settings\Roadatlanta2017

Attachments

• RA_Rubber_01Aug18.zip.ini
    27.6 KB · Views: 98
Guess I'm hijacking my own thread but got a chance to spend some time with RF2 last night. Bought Sebring and the Endurance Pack and also dl'ed the Road Atlanta mod. Um... wow! Felt really connected to the cars - tried the RSR and BMW's GTE - and felt wonderfully planted to the surface. Really liked the night effects when I tried it at Sebring. And Road Atlanta? This is a mod track? Whoa! Fantastic job though a couple of turns didn't seem quite right compared to the laser scanned iRacing track I'm used to. Didn't detract and only took me a couple laps to slightly adjust. Lots of fun there even though I'm still coming up to speed (just never spent a ton of time on that track).

Color me thoroughly impressed! Looking forward to spending a bunch of time in RF2. Hats off to Studio 397! :thumbsup:

The FFB in the endurance pack is the best in rf2 right now. So good in all those cars. The GT3 pack is pretty good as well, but some of the cars are a bit off IMO (Mercedes).

Got to agree there, tbh they're the only ones that really talk to me - having said that I'm still having problems getting any decent actual feedback out of any car in rF2, they all feel like they're on underinflated balloon tyres as far as road feel goes :S ( and yes I've followed ffb guides repeatedly over the years ).

Increasing the Real Road "Time Scale" from normal to like 10x or more will increase the rubber effects faster without the need to use large numbers of AI but still get the same great results!
Can you save it though? I remember someone telling me that only "naturally progressing" would give you real results.
Makes sense anyway as rF2 really lays down rubber where the cars drive afaik so if you increase it to 10x you won't get that variety in the line.

But anyway, if 10x is still "savable" it's nice indeed!

Can you save it though? I remember someone telling me that only "naturally progressing" would give you real results.
Makes sense anyway as rF2 really lays down rubber where the cars drive afaik so if you increase it to 10x you won't get that variety in the line.

But anyway, if 10x is still "savable" it's nice indeed!
The AI tend to follow the fast line so that's where the most rubber will build up so what i discovered to get a little more variety in the rubbered-in line is to first run a 20 minute Qualify using about 20 AI and set the Real Road Time Scale to 10X with Private Qualify "Off" then follow this up using "naturally progressing" into a 15-30 lap race depending on the track length and the desired amounts of rubber. This process will now allow the Qualify rubbered-in Real Road to continue building up additional rubber thru the race.

The Real Road will now have a little more variety because of their passing and blocking abilities during the race. I save the the Real Road at different time intervals and name them Light, Medium, Heavy, and Saturated to provide more choices in my future races!

Note: Pressing CTRL + X keys will considerably speed up this whole process!

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back