• Welcome to the largest (sim) racing website in the world!
    Blurring the line between real and virtual motorsports.

Featured Ferrari: F1 Could Lose 1.5 Seconds This Season

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by Paul Jeffrey, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey
    RaceDepartment Editor-in-Chief Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +20,046
    F1 to lose 1.5 seconds ferrari.jpg
    Formula One cars could be lapping up to 1.5 seconds slower this season, according to Ferrari chief Mattia Binotto.

With Formula One speeds having rocketed up to record levels during 2018, the racing hasn't always been the spectacle many of the fans would have liked to have seen, prompting the rule makers behind the sport to introduce a raft of new technical regulations for the coming season. With changes to the aerodynamic regulations at the front and rear of the cars the most visual difference from last season, the sport hopes it will become easier for drivers following another car to remain close without losing the all important downforce needed to perform an overtake - the result of which means overall downforce this year has been reduced, something that Ferrari believe could cost a second and a half in lap time at the start of the season.

“We predicted an impact of 1.5s per lap when we (first tested) in the wind tunnel (and) it’s what we got,” said Binotto.

“So, these cars are heavier compared to last year, and the aerodynamics, especially the front wing, has been simplified a lot. The expectation has been 1.5s and that has been (proven).

Although it is doubtful if fans watching trackside and on TV will see that lap time difference without the aid of a stopwatch, Formula One teams never traditionally like going backwards in performance, and as has been proven in practically every year of the sport, the deficit at the start of the season is unlikely to remain as large by the time the championship comes to a conclusion at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix in November.

For more from the world of Formula One, head over to the RaceDepartment Formula One sub forum and join in with fellow fans of the top level of open wheel motorsport.

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Instagram
    Youtube
    Twitch

• Like Like x 2
  2. Red[Noise_Bomb]

Red[Noise_Bomb]

Ratings:
    +2
    That was obvious... Less downforce-less corner speed-more time takes to finish the lap

3. Rick Jonk

Rick Jonk

Ratings:
    +5
    Interesting... Red Bull said they already matched 2018's downforce levels.

4. apex11

apex11

Ratings:
    +490
    Down force??
    Its pure driver skill that makes them corner is it not?
    Down force he says.... you'll be telling me next those big black rubber things give them grip....

• Haha Haha x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  5. ATSSHD

ATSSHD

Ratings:
    +45
    Multiple teams reported this and im sure it's true. I expect this: When they come into Australia then the pole time is going to be similar to last years. +- 0.5 sec

6. Koen Verlinde

Koen Verlinde

Ratings:
    +184
    Coulda should woulda

F1 is build around hype and millenial clickbait these days.

We'll see at Melbourne, all the rest is of no importance.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Wedge

Wedge

Ratings:
    +174
    If it means more overtakes and better races, no one will care about those 1.5s

• Beer Beer x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. farjam

farjam

Ratings:
    +163
    So the turn 3 in spain and some of silverstone's corners are not full throttle anymore? i', ok with that if it can make racing better

The last few times that F1 decided to improve racing they ended up making it worse but i have a little more hope this time :D

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r
    Premium

Ratings:
    +1,544
    Or you could read it as Ferrari not adapting as well to the changes as the others, and could be 1.5 seconds off the pace of Mercedes.

• Beer Beer x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Enagee

Enagee

Ratings:
    +138
    The games have begun

• Beer Beer x 2
  11. Kieran89980

Kieran89980

Ratings:
    +1
    Faster... Slower... I don't care. Just give us better racing that's all we want.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. delpinsky

delpinsky

Ratings:
    +293
    Let's hope in a very fought season... hoping Ferrari will be stronger and more consistent this year :cool::D

• Like Like x 1
  13. Andrew Harper

Andrew Harper

Ratings:
    +1,710
    Their comment doesn't quite make sense, having read various articles.

The front wing is simpler now to generate less reliance on it when running behind another car. A lot of the small parts were aero routing rather than downforce. That was the goal by the rule makers I think. So the front wing is less air sensitive now. However it is much wider than before (and according to one article in Racecar Engineering will actually produce more downforce than before). Same for the rear wing which is wider than before

The downside (for the designers) is the cars will hopefully (for us) produce more drag. The reason I say hopefully is the more draggy the cars are, the more effective slipstream and DRS will be. So hopefully better racing down the straights.

We will see....:laugh::)

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Mitja Bonca

Mitja Bonca
    Premium

Ratings:
    +2,337
    Vettel is already inside 1 second mark of his last year`s record time of 1.17.182.
    So he`s not right, I am sure they will come to that mark in these days.

15. PoopMan

PoopMan

Ratings:
    +6
    Sneaky snake, they are already running faster than race pace last year. I don't think the cars lost any downforce. The parts they are missing mostly helped efficiency. With the added front and rear wing span, the teams seem to all be trying to improve efficiency and flow rather than front downforce with the front wing. More f1 media silliness

16. yayiguess

yayiguess

Ratings:
    +0
    downforce levels, they will almost certainly be producing more drag.

17. Terry Rock

Terry Rock

Ratings:
    +650
    Simply Ferrari playing the usual 'head' games in anticipation of any loss.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.