AC FAT-ALFIE championship multiclass round 5@Battenberging, Wed 13th December 2023

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
Actually I've been thinking to make it a monoclass because the Abarth and the Mazda are comparable in performance over a mix of tracks but unfortunately not often on a single track. Being stuck behind a car with different characteristics is quite common in racing. We also see that now in F1 with the Williams as a slower car is hard to overtake due to the top speed it has. It's the drivers capability that should deal with it by using the advantages of their own car at the right moments. This year I've been with my Abarth the lead of a 'Fazzi train' with Mazda's behind but guys like Jason and Fulvio have found a way to pass me. Maybe the other 'wagon' drivers should look at the replay and see how they are doing that.

Anyway, personally I like races with cars with different characteristics but similar performance. It adds dynamic to the race. With the Swift we have now a 3rd car in our events.

For next year I'm thinking of doing short championships with these 3 cars as a monoclass so everyone can decide which cars would be the best for them on the scheduled tracks.

Probably first with an Australian/New Zealand championship in Q1 of 2024.
Yes Han, i hope you are listening. You need to analyse all this data and dissect the numbers etc.
I have got a cracking idea though. Why don't we just drive the damn efin cars and Continue to enjoy what we have. I know my idea sounds a bit complicated and will be time consuming but less chance of us having an accident with the slide rule maybe :D ha ha.
Only kidding guys

Last edited:
Yes Han, i hope you are listening. You need to analyse all this data and dissect the numbers etc.
I have got a cracking idea though. Why don't we just drive the damn efin cars and Continue to enjoy what we have. I know my idea sounds a bit complicated and will be time consuming but less chance of us having an accident with the slide rule maybe :D ha ha.
Only kidding guys
"Nuff said" ;)

If we ever switch to mono class I think the bop'd tire wear and fuel usage needs to go. it seems to only help the arbath, which already has the top speed advantage.

Here for example, I was a good 1-2s faster into the village than the arbath ahead, which isn't a great overtaking spot. Having to lift, losing time, then having the car ahead fly away isn't much of a fight... Unless that car in front has to pit for longer than you to change tires.

If it stayed as is and became mono class, I think the level of dangerous aggressive overtakes would rise. Especially because the best way for an overtake by the Mazda is in the corners. Just my two cents as someone who's been stuck and frustrated behind the fazzi train before :roflmao:

I believe (hope) you just exploded the mono class for Han :p

Withou the tyre/fuel crutches the Abarth would be even more difficult to keep alive.
You´d have to safe fuel AND baby your tyres or stop twice in Fonteny.
(one spin and you´re ****ed regardless.:sick:)
Which woud make it Multiclass.........:roflmao::roflmao:

(by the way it was me holding Robert up.....):D

Last edited:
Which woud make it Multiclass.........:roflmao::roflmao:

(by the way it was me holding Robert up.....):D
Well,

I remember also sniffing your tail (pipe) for some time until someone "brake danced" out :rolleyes:

Real shame CM "forgot" to save my replay, somehow I only have the qualy.

If one of the gentlemen could be so kind as to put it up??

Also we could come back to opinions expressed by several gentlemen here:
it´s not broken so don´t Fazzi with it. :inlove:

Meep Meep.PNG

After enjoying the first laps I must say that Ernie really earned his celebratory beverage:D

he held up several laps with Fulvio chomping at his butt tail pipe.

Right until his Abarth did his thing in HairPin 1 :( and a little later in Holzhausen when someone else was taken aim......

Brake Dance.jpg

- performance:
- Enable the GUI and Taskbar Extensions in CSP
- go on track
- the app should be called something with render stats
- it should show you the overall times for cpu and gpu in the upper part and in the lower part show the cpu and gpu times for every part of AC.
Compare practice alone with an AI race with a similar field as this race.
You should see a few of the times in that render stats app changing dramatically.
These are the settings we need to adjust.
Might be a single HUD app that kills your fps or might be reflections, shadows, anything really.

You don't need to look into this on your own though. Just open that render stats, try to unwrap the things that go up the most in frame time between practice alone and AI race and post the Screenshots in here.
I'll try to tell you what to adjust :)

A little bit extra information about this:
What CPU do you have? AC eats any CPU for breakfast if you have some settings slightly too far up.
To give a feeling for this:
AC uses two big "CPU threads", so you basically only need 3 cores for it.
One for each thread and a third core for Windows, discord etc.
You can't see this in Taskmanager or any other normal monitoring tool though, since Windows will seemingly randomly throw these threads around across all cores.
You're only seeing the average over the tick rate of the monitoring tool though.
In reality, if you'd freeze after just 5 clock cycles or so (4 GHz = 4.000.000.000 clock cycles per second), you would see 2 cores at 100% and the other cores doing everything else at a lower load.
It's more efficient to let one core do a few cycles and then let the next core do the next few cycles. Probably has something to do with internal latency, caching etc.
It's a mix of Windows' "scheduler" and cpu microcode.
There, my knowledge stops.

Anyway:
One of these CPU threads will always be "heavier" than the other, so it all comes down to that one single CPU thread on one single cpu core in a single "moment in time".
If you look into that csp app, you'll see the cpu frame time and that's directly your momentary fps.
One frame is always cached, so your overall frame time is almost identical to the higher frame time of either the cpu or gpu. Not both added together.
So at 10 ms, you have 1 second = 1000 ms. Divided by 10 ms = 100 fps
At 16.67 ms, it's 60 fps.
The issue is that any HUD app, additional car, shadows, track details, everything, adds up to that time.
So 6 ms are quickly gone if you add a few things here and there.

Hello Rasmus and thank you for answering me such a long ago, I didn't even thank you for this at the time. I only had the chance to verify something yesterday during the Fonteny race.
There are two aspects of the issue, here, and that are the following: first, the overall FPS and second the stutters.
Talking of the first, as I probably already stated in my previous posts, settings being equal I got 190+ FPS in the benchmark and much less in regular sessions. What I noticed yesterday having the CPS render stats enabled was that while I was getting 75 FPS (and I could maybe got more if I did not cap the value due to my monitor's refresh rate being 75Hz) during my practice in the afternoon, with no one on track, I immediately saw the value dropping to a steady 60 Hz during the race practice (with other cars on track). While this may seem obvious due to the presence of other cars, the fact is that what limited the frame rate was the GPU and not the CPU, which I thought would have been the culprit in case more cars were racing (more on this later). Actually, the frame generation time went all the way up to 16,6 ms (i.e. 60 Hz) as soon as I joined the server. CPU was always quite low (around 6 ms if I'm not wrong).
If the problem was all here, I'd call me satisfied, 60 Hz is relatively good even though I thought that my computer could have delivered a better performance (oh, the specs.. Ryzen 5 5600X + 16GB of RAM + RTX3070 founders edition. Game is on HDD).

However (here comes point 2) all of a sudden sometimes the CPU time in this case raised abruptly for (apparently) no reason, thus the terrible stuttering that I experience also yesterday evening. Is there any kind of log that I could dive into, or any other way to review the data? You mentioned that I should have provided a screenshot, but there are so many values that I can't see what's going on and what changes (apart from the graph) when the stutter happens. Should I try using OBS and record the next race or try setting up an AI race to see if the problem continues happening?
I should specify that, due to not having practiced and not being that good, while the stuttering happened I was practically alone, no other car was in sight, therefore I can't even understand the reason of problem 1... I thought that in terms of GPU being running alone or not having anyone around would have been the same in terms of load, if the graphics setting were the same..

On that topic I´d like to piggyback as I have a stutter problem also.
for a while i thought killing "SOL" would solve the problem but I had stuttering in fontney with SOL appscompletely switched off.

Same CPU, GPU 3080 10gb, 16 GB ram, game on SSD?

same here, and Robert as well, if I'm correct. To me it looked like it were sort of time warps on different levels. For instance, during such a warp/stutter/jitter/lag-thingie, my car seemed to slow down, but the dust from the edge I drove over just overtook me at normal speed, really weird, and then the entire scene sped up and all was normal again.

Last edited:
That sounds strange! No real idea what's going on there.. Maybe the new CSP version is causing some issues? I didn't fire up AC in a while...
Talking of the first, as I probably already stated in my previous posts, settings being equal I got 190+ FPS in the benchmark and much less in regular sessions.
The benchmark of AC sadly is completely useless since you don't have apps and other things actually running. Even with my old i7 2600k I would get 200+ fps but then drop into the 50's during races.
If we want to actually compare fps or test fps for a race, do it with AI races or a replay.
To compare fps we could use the same single screen resolution and share presets via Content Manager so quickly get identical settings without having to remember and manually set our current settings.
I was getting 75 FPS (and I could maybe got more if I did not cap the value due to my monitor's refresh rate being 75Hz) during my practice in the afternoon, with no one on track, I immediately saw the value dropping to a steady 60 Hz during the race practice (with other cars on track).
The steady 60 Hz.. You really mean Hz? That would indicate that you somehow switched to 60 Hz + vsync..
CPU was always quite low (around 6 ms if I'm not wrong).
Yeah so definitely a GPU limit, probably vsync.
Is there any kind of log that I could dive into, or any other way to review the data?
Sadly not really.. What I did in these situations was to run Taskmanager at refresh rate: High (Win 11 -> little wheel at the bottom left -> Real time update speed -> High), then switch to "Details", sort by "CPU" and then record Taskmanager via OBS, while AC was running in the foreground.
As long as you don't minimize a window or move it out of your monitor, OBS will record it even in the background!

Looks like this, with TaskManager trimmed for privacy:
1703854332631.png

OBS can be a bit complex to set up, but the only important thing is to make sure it's using NVENC like this:
1703854740200.png

That sounds strange! No real idea what's going on there.. Maybe the new CSP version is causing some issues? I didn't fire up AC in a while...

The benchmark of AC sadly is completely useless since you don't have apps and other things actually running. Even with my old i7 2600k I would get 200+ fps but then drop into the 50's during races.
If we want to actually compare fps or test fps for a race, do it with AI races or a replay.
To compare fps we could use the same single screen resolution and share presets via Content Manager so quickly get identical settings without having to remember and manually set our current settings.

The steady 60 Hz.. You really mean Hz? That would indicate that you somehow switched to 60 Hz + vsync..

Yeah so definitely a GPU limit, probably vsync.

Sadly not really.. What I did in these situations was to run Taskmanager at refresh rate: High (Win 11 -> little wheel at the bottom left -> Real time update speed -> High), then switch to "Details", sort by "CPU" and then record Taskmanager via OBS, while AC was running in the foreground.
As long as you don't minimize a window or move it out of your monitor, OBS will record it even in the background!

Looks like this, with TaskManager trimmed for privacy:
View attachment 717177

OBS can be a bit complex to set up, but the only important thing is to make sure it's using NVENC like this:
View attachment 717178
Thanks Rasmus for the usual detailed and helpful answer. Regarding the Hz.. sorry, I obviously meant FPS. I will play the replay that Bouke kindly supplied and see if it also happens during the replay, and I'll give your other suggestions a try during the break that is starting today until Jan 8th!

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.