Fanatec McLaren GT3 rim problems...

Hey guys,

Anyone having problems with their newly released McLaren GT3 rim? I am having the clutch paddles drop out on me after a random amount of time. Upon plugging the rim into the base (I use an OSW with the Fanatec wheel base side conversion kit with the newly flashed firmware to operate the GT3 rim) everything is recognized, map-able and works fine. After a while driving, the clutch paddles just drop out and become unusable. I've had the gear paddles drop out once or twice but it's the clutch paddles that do it pretty much every session. Sometimes after 20 minutes, sometimes after a couple of minutes. I've contacted both Fanatec and Simracingmachines.com where I got the conversion kit from in a hope to get to the bottom of it. Just wondering if anyone else is having drama with it.

When you first plug it in, everything is recognized so their shouldn't be a problem with compatibility. Just a reliability thing now.

Could you please link to where to buy the McLaren magnetic shifters ?
Has anyone successfully done the conversion ? Id love to see how it was done :geek:
I just had my rim repaired for the second time ,so my 3rd attempt , first rim was replaced and now repaired . The shifter has a really annoying creaking sound and im thinking a shifter replacement would be ideal because Fanatec used these crappy snap-dome switches :mad:

Still out of stock, but here is the link.
https://www.simracingmachines.com/WebShop/gear-shifter-upgrade-for-mclaren-wheel

Upvote 0
After getting my wheel back from an RMA repair, the shifting problem appeared again after 30 seconds. I then tried this advice given by Ray T. I firmly pressed the paddles back, pressing the bottom part of each at the same time, so it moves back and upwards. After doing this a few times you'll notice the rocker pin will raise up slightly, which I think is key. 1 month later I haven't had a single mis-shift! It's clear the contacts on the buttons aren't quite lining up correctly with the paddle. I'm not certain if the paddle metal is actually bending, but having the rocker pin slightly loose may be allowing it to press the contacts correctly. Perhaps a combo of both, but it's been a flawless fix for me.
Can you please explain this to me a different way? I don't get what movement your doing :(

Upvote 0
Hi Fil40, the shifting issue is more complex than what you are describing here. The assessment that it is caused by snap dome movement on the tape is certainly not the whole story. Following a thorough investigation, we know there are actually three separate factors involved, and therefore this fix of soldering the snap domes is not going to solve all cases of miss-shifting. As such, we recommend that anyone with shifting issues contacts our support team to initiate a full repair.
Hey @DomB_Fanatec I've just had my 11 month old McLaren rim repaired for the second time, what would have been done to fix it? I'm concerned I'm going to have issues again but now it will be out of warranty, hence why I'm looking at going to an aftermarket solution if I get issues again but honestly would just prefer to have it work as is.

Upvote 0
@2stains I've recently done the conversion and the difference in quality between the SRM shifters and the standard ones is massive. They aren't cheap but once you have them you'll realise why.

It isn't that big of a job to do the conversion, just a bit fiddly, especially the part where you have to grind some plastic away from the rear of the rim in order to get the new shifters to seat into place.

Link to the shifters: https://www.simracingmachines.com/webshop/gear-shifter-upgrade-for-mclaren-wheel

Note that although it may state that they are out of stock, if you contact Simon directly he will be able to get a set made up for you or/and give an estimate of when you could expect to have them. Don't wait for the stock status to change on the webpage as I suspect that while you are waiting for that moment, others are contacting Simon directly and eating up any incoming stock :)

Fitting instructions can be found here: http://www.simracingmachines.com/Content/Guides/Fanatec McLaren Shifter Instructions.pdf

A few poor quality pictures from my conversion

20190629_094601.jpg

20190629_105313.jpg

20190629_112658.jpg

20190629_121841.jpg

20190629_133339.jpg

20190629_132447.jpg

20190629_133902_50.jpg

20190629_142408_50.jpg

Upvote 0
@2stains I've recently done the conversion and the difference in quality between the SRM shifters and the standard ones is massive. They aren't cheap but once you have them you'll realise why.

It isn't that big of a job to do the conversion, just a bit fiddly, especially the part where you have to grind some plastic away from the rear of the rim in order to get the new shifters to seat into place.

Link to the shifters: https://www.simracingmachines.com/webshop/gear-shifter-upgrade-for-mclaren-wheel

Note that although it may state that they are out of stock, if you contact Simon directly he will be able to get a set made up for you or/and give an estimate of when you could expect to have them. Don't wait for the stock status to change on the webpage as I suspect that while you are waiting for that moment, others are contacting Simon directly and eating up any incoming stock :)

Fitting instructions can be found here: http://www.simracingmachines.com/Content/Guides/Fanatec McLaren Shifter Instructions.pdf

A few poor quality pictures from my conversion

View attachment 317317

View attachment 317319

View attachment 317320

View attachment 317321

View attachment 317322

View attachment 317323

View attachment 317324

View attachment 317325
That looks really nice ! My downshift side feels crappy atm , really noisy and plastic feeling . But $150 pounds , yikes :o

Upvote 0
That looks really nice ! My downshift side feels crappy atm , really noisy and plastic feeling . But $150 pounds , yikes :o

If you do plan to keep the rim in the long term then I wouldn't hesitate in recommending the upgrade. Even if you were to sell it on, I would imagine that you'd recoup a lot of that outlay. They feel so much better but the most important thing I've gained from them is the feeling that they are going to be reliable and I need not worry about them missing a shift any time soon.

Although I bought my rim 2nd hand, it was only a few months old and the shifters started being unreliable after just a couple of hours of use. I'd try manipulating the orange shifter bar and it would work for another few minutes or so but then sure enough, the missed/double shifts would return. It got to the point that even when it was working, I was just anxiously waiting for it to inevitably go wrong again as I was driving which took the enjoyment away for me.

Upvote 0
If you do plan to keep the rim in the long term then I wouldn't hesitate in recommending the upgrade. Even if you were to sell it on, I would imagine that you'd recoup a lot of that outlay. They feel so much better but the most important thing I've gained from them is the feeling that they are going to be reliable and I need not worry about them missing a shift any time soon.

Although I bought my rim 2nd hand, it was only a few months old and the shifters started being unreliable after just a couple of hours of use. I'd try manipulating the orange shifter bar and it would work for another few minutes or so but then sure enough, the missed/double shifts would return. It got to the point that even when it was working, I was just anxiously waiting for it to inevitably go wrong again as I was driving which took the enjoyment away for me.
Do you know if they ship to Australia?

Upvote 0
For shifter? Are you sure? The BMW upgrade was like 50 bucks for me.

I got the same upgrade for my Porsche 918 wheel, but the upgrade we installed was simply an add on that allows a magnet to make the click snap more.

The McLaren upgrade is the entire mechanism including switch, lever, paddle, spring, and magnet.

I'm enjoying the crispness of the action on my 918 wheel now. My McLaren wheel still works perfectly, but has less than 2 hours of play time on it.

Upvote 0
Well I just got my McLaren rim back 2 days ago from Fanatec after the 2nd repair, so 3rd attempt and it worked fine for the first night but last night the up shift side started missing shifts! FFS! Talk about being pissed!

First time one week after purchase the N and P buttons stopped working and Fanatec replaced the rim, now 10 odd months on the down shift side stopped working and Fanatec "repaired" the the rim only for it to fail on the other side 2 days after coming back to me!

Im totally over this McLaren rim! It's got a design fault and seems like it can't be fixed.

Fanatec should make a add on shifter set like the one suggested in this thread and offer it to owners of the McLaren rim at a discounted price or just flat out recall all rims and return the money or swap the wheel for another in their line up.

I really liked this rim, it feels really nice in hand and has just the right amount of buttons that only the newer F1 style rims offer.

I've told Fanatec I'm done with this wheel and I'll just have to wait and see what they come up with.

I've just gone 2 weeks without it and two weeks previously, so 1 month total only to have it broken again.

Freaking annoyed. Usually I have nothing but good praising words about Fanatec but atm I have to hold my judgment till I have a satisfactory conclusion to this.

I've got videos of the creaking noises and missed clicks that I've shown them but held off posting them on social media as I feel that they should have an opportunity to fix this issue first.

Upvote 0
Maybe they should return $250 and I'll keep it but replace the shifters with the magnetic upgrade! Because as it is now its completely useless for its intended purpose.

Upvote 0
Hey @DomB_Fanatec I've just had my 11 month old McLaren rim repaired for the second time, what would have been done to fix it? I'm concerned I'm going to have issues again but now it will be out of warranty, hence why I'm looking at going to an aftermarket solution if I get issues again but honestly would just prefer to have it work as is.
The repairs usually involve changing a component on the PCBA, but in some cases the entire board is replaced.

I'm sorry to hear that you're still having issues - I've sent you a PM.

Upvote 0
Now that my McLaren wheel is fixed, this is the pair of wheels I'm keeping. McLaren GT3 for the modern GT cars and open wheelers and the BMW GT2 wheel for other cars. I also did consider the other roundish wheel options from Fanatec, but I actually prefer the BMW Alcantara to the leather Porsche wheel. I feel no need to change the rims only, so I did not consider the universal hub.

I've also got the shifter upgrade for the BMW wheel coming!-)

Funny - that's the exact combo I've decided to go with! I've had the Mclaren for a while and love it, and am getting the BMW today! Primarily for the touring cars and older DTMs etc. in Raceroom. Very excited to get home and open the new toy :)

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back