F1: Teams' 2015 engine tokens revealed

Anyway another question, apparently each year a number of tokens is addressed tot he teams.

2015 32 tokens
2016 26 tokens
2017 20 tokens
2018 15 tokens

Each year more parts of the engine will be frozen and cant be updated anymore, this will go on untill the complete engine is freezed by 2020 2021 or whatever.

What are the odds of regulations staying unchanged until 2018? (Not to talk about 2020...)

What are the odds of regulations staying unchanged until 2018? (Not to talk about 2020...)

The odds are as high as the certainty of not winning the lottery.:D

But that doesn't answer my Original question. Also changing regulations and changing concept are two different things. Or do you think they will ditch these engines before the 7 year is over which they agreed upon.

These engines cost 3 time as much, obviously with the energy and money spend on these they will never ditch them before the 7 years is over. Maybe the rules will be loosened to allow the competition to catch up with Mercedes, but that obviously requires voting and we all know how that works in F1.

No idea about your original question Mark. I am kind of surprised though, about Honda and specially Renault. Their engines clearly suck, what are they waiting for to use tokens? They say Honda will in Spa, but no news about the french...

About ditching the engines... there is a lot of talk about 1000 BHP, refueling and whatnot. Putting all of that in while keeping the engine structure semi-frozen sounds odd / very difficult. If big changes are made I would not be surprised if everybody including Mercedes voted for defreeze or double tokens, just because they may have put themselves in a corner optimized for rules that are no more.

The problem is that parts are getting frozen each year, if parts getting frozen that you expect are giving the most effect of improvement you don't really want to rush that trough. Because it will be for the long term and not only this year, that's one of the reason Renault has been pushing it forward.

Renault is expected to come with an update around the Russian GP.

My original question was, I want to know if it is possible to transfer tokens from one season to another. So lets say Renault saves their 12 tokens they have left this year and takes them to next year and instead of the addressed 26 tokens they will have 38 tokens to use.?

That's something that is unclear to me.

Im also interesting to see what these engines will do if you remove the fuel limit and let them crank out the rpm what is possible with them. The current Mercedes engine is already expected to crank out 860hp under the current rules so they not that far away from the 1000hp they looking at.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back