F1: Rain dampens spirits as qualifying is delayed

Qualifying for the opening Grand Prix of the 2013 season was curtailed by the monsoon-like conditions that descended over Melbourne on Saturday evening, with only the first session of qualifying completed before proceedings were called to an abrupt end.

The final two sessions will take place on Sunday morning (00:00GMT) to decide the grid for Sunday afternoon's curtain raiser. Nico Rosberg topped the largely inconsequential times in his Mercedes, followed by Ferrari's Fernando Alonso, and Romain Grosjean in the Lotus.

There was disappointment for Pastor Maldonado and newcomer Esteban Gutierrez, who were eliminated along with perennial backmarkers Marussia and Caterham – the reduced grid for 2013 will see at least two drivers from the 'bigger' named teams drop out in the first session. Despite luck escapes for Lewis Hamilton and Felipe Massa – who both ended up in the wall – there were no major shocks that often occur in adverse conditions.

In tricky conditions, several cars were involved in incidents; both Caterhams ended up losing their front wings, as did Massa in the Ferrari. Hamilton's day was almost ruined when an off on his second flying lap left him briefly stranded, wheels spinning to no avail, but the Brit managed to get going again under his own power; the damage to his rear wing not proving sufficient to warrant repair.

Adverse weather conditions caused a similar postponement at Suzuka 2010, an event that saw Sebastian Vettel take pole position in the rescheduled Sunday morning qualifying. Judging by the German's pace in practice, a repeat performance could be on the cards tomorrow.

Image: Mirror
View the Post on the Blog

The only plus is that the qualy starts at a good time for me. I really hope that in the future they will not delay any more sessions because of a bit of rain. The gentlemen are paid a pretty good salary to practice their hobby and F1 is never without danger anyways.

Wasn't it Ecclestone that came with the idea to have an artificial wet race in some countries to add to the excitement? :)

I agree. There wasn't enough water on the track to cancel the qualy. I've recently re-watched F1 season reviews from the 80's and 90's where they proceeded with the sessions even though the tracks was flooded.
Now I have to stay up until 1am to see the qualy and then up again at 7am to see the race. On top of that, my three months old son sleeps very 'loudly' at night which wakes me up every hour or so. Even though, I'm still looking very much forward for the first race of the season.

It wasn't because of the rain only. But FIA's connection to the cars steeringwheels didn't work. so if a yellow flag came up, they would not be able to letting the driver know by the display. I know I know. Why is that even needed, I don't know that :D seems stupid, but im sure they had their reasons.

It wasn't because of the rain only. But FIA's connection to the cars steeringwheels didn't work. so if a yellow flag came up, they would not be able to letting the driver know by the display. I know I know. Why is that even needed, I don't know that :D seems stupid, but im sure they had their reasons.
so what..years ago they didnt have that..everything has to be digital..lol what happened to the old classic waved flags

For me it's the worst thing possible.. Can't stay out all night (show to do in the evening, need to have my usual 101% sleep to be at 95% performance level, rest is up to moon position in the sky...), qualy starts 2am and the race 7am local time... Then again, i've done so many show after 24h of work, maybe i'm okay being a bit dazed...

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back