Alright when was that again.....?

I don't understand why the fact that, "the best drivers end up in the best cars", is such a revelation to some people. Its been happening since F1 began. Fangio was in the best cars, Clark was in the best cars, Prost, Senna, Mansell, Villeneuve, Hakkinen, Schumacher, Vettel, Rosberg, and yes Hamilton were all in the best cars when they won their championships. I've been watching since the 70's, and I don't remember anyone doing well over a season in a car that was junk. Is the Merc the best car? Yes. Was the Ferrari when Schumacher was driving it the best car? Yes. But it still takes an exceptional driver, that's why you didn't see Barrichello, or Bottas, or Webber, win any championships.

You have to hand it to Russell being on the pace already, sometimes people are just really talented, and the rest of the world become haters or can explain why it is so.

Russell is for sure Hamilton's long term replacement and I think he will replace Bottas for the last few seasons we see Lewis drive in, and he can learn a lot from Lewis.

There are millions of good drivers thousands of awesome drivers, hundreds of exceptional drivers but only a handful of the true gifted drivers lets see how it progresses tomorrow.

But all that aside Max for the win :) or an amazing Max V George showdown.

Just out of interest how many of you in this thread truly believe the car is so much the element here, and do you really think you can jump in a Merc and get fastest FP1 after all it's the car :p

Last edited:
... or can explain why it is so.

The explanation is simple, George gained superior vehicle control by driving the lawnmower from Assetto Corsa during F1 lockdown.

Just out of interest how many of you in this thread truly believe the car is so much the element here, and do you really think you can jump in a Merc and get fastest FP1 after all it's the car :p

Sure I can, but only if Nelson Piquet becomes my race engineer. **** would be hilarious.

For Dutchmen there is only 1 good driver lol....
All the rest is about the car....
No that’s not true. The only thing is Max has to drive 120% to keep up with the Mercs, this because the Honda has less power, nevertheless he is the only one who can keep up with the Mercs, this because of his talent. That’s all.
And you know that’s the fact.

Last edited:
No that’s not true. The only thing is Max has to drive 120% to keep up with the Mercs, this because the Honda has less power, nevertheless he is the only one who can keep up with the Mercs, this because of his talent. That’s all.

The honda engine also sounds worst from all the engines on the grid. Like the sound of an engine made by a USSR F1 team.

I don't understand why the fact that, "the best drivers end up in the best cars", is such a revelation to some people. I've been watching since the 70's, and I don't remember anyone doing well over a season in a car that was junk.
Have you never heard driver Keke Rosberg? Only 1 first place in season 1982 and World Champion. His car was very poor Williams free-breathing engine and there was super fast Turbo cars also. So Keke is the greatest ever!! Huraa, huraa, huraa!!!

Last edited:
George Russell has had to overdrive every lap in the Williams to be noticed.

Bottas has had to underdrive every lap in the last bunch of years to make sure he doesnt impede Lewis.

Now they are on a "new" track George technically has the most advantage in learning- speed of all the drivers, since he now doesnt even need to pay attention to the car at all, all his problems he had with the car suddenly vanished.

Put somebody in a tough situation and suddenly remove the difficulties and he will go much higher than anyone who never had those difficulties.

I don't understand why the fact that, "the best drivers end up in the best cars", is such a revelation to some people. Its been happening since F1 began. Fangio was in the best cars, Clark was in the best cars, Prost, Senna, Mansell, Villeneuve, Hakkinen, Schumacher, Vettel, Rosberg, and yes Hamilton were all in the best cars when they won their championships. I've been watching since the 70's, and I don't remember anyone doing well over a season in a car that was junk. Is the Merc the best car? Yes. Was the Ferrari when Schumacher was driving it the best car? Yes. But it still takes an exceptional driver, that's why you didn't see Barrichello, or Bottas, or Webber, win any championships.

That isn't really the point. Not since Mika Salo stood in for Schumie in 1999 when he broke his leg have we seen and guy go from slow car to fastest car in same season..

Mika BTW was winning the German GP till he was asked to let Irvine past so came 2nd...

What Russell has shown the world is that a guy at the back can be at the front if they are in the best car.

Had Russell just got 5th in FP1 and 2 its still a world away from his time in the William's ...

So basically in a Merc he can jump up 10-15 places..he hasn't got better in 5 days, he wasn't a worse driver last week...

The car allows him to go faster..... doing the same stuff as before, but better equipment ...

The 'best get the best car' as an excuse is laughable.
Is that really the best come back....

Judging by today Russell is the best twice.... but yet he'll scuttle back to Williams and be at the back...no longer, the best....

Of course your are right about Max having more chances if he were in a Mercedes.
My point is: this also goes for some of the other drivers.
Max is NOT the only talent out there.
George's achievement is not ONLY about the car today.

Last edited:
That isn't really the point. Not since Mika Salo stood in for Schumie in 1999 when he broke his leg have we seen and guy go from slow car to fastest car in same season..

Mika BTW was winning the German GP till he was asked to let Irvine past so came 2nd...

What Russell has shown the world is that a guy at the back can be at the front if they are in the best car.

Had Russell just got 5th in FP1 and 2 its still a world away from his time in the William's ...

So basically in a Merc he can jump up 10-15 places..he hasn't got better in 5 days, he wasn't a worse driver last week...

The car allows him to go faster..... doing the same stuff as before, but better equipment ...

The 'best get the best car' as an excuse is laughable.
Is that really the best come back....

Judging by today Russell is the best twice.... but yet he'll scuttle back to Williams and be at the back...no longer, the best....

I disagree, Russell hasn't showed the world that a guy at the back can be at the front if they are in the best car. He has showed the world that He, George Russell can come from a back marker car, and lead a couple of practice sessions in the best car. I'm not convinced that anyone can do it. Maybe Russell is a future world champion? All the great drivers had great drives in lesser machinery. Look at Senna in the Toleman, or Alonso in the Minardi. Also, given the chance both Senna and Alonso shined once they were given competitive machinery, like Russell is doing so far.

Have you never heard driver Keke Rosberg? Only 1 first place in season 1982 and World Champion. His car was very poor Williams free-breathing engine and there was super fast Turbo cars also. So Keke is the greatest ever!! Huraa, huraa, huraa!!!

Yes but the Turbos where fragile, and failed at an extremely high rate when they first came into F1, so essentially Keke was in the best car that season. Even if your hypothesis is true, there are outliers in all statistics.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back