F1 2017 F1 2017 Details Announced - Classic Content Returns and New Trailer!

F1 2017 The Game (Codemasters)

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Codemasters have revealed details of the upcoming 2017 edition of the long running Formula One franchise, and much to fans delight classic content will be returning to the game!

With 2017 marking something of a pivotal moment in the franchise, Codemasters seemingly found many of the right ingredients fans have been requesting in recent years and built a remarkably solid and well rounded game, drastically improving the experience from the somewhat lacklustre earlier editions of the franchise.

With the 2017 Formula One season already in full swing, Codemasters have now finally confirmed what we have all been expecting and announced the 2017 edition of the series will once again be coming to PC, Xbox One and PlayStation 4 this year, with a release date of August 25th confirmed for all entertainment systems.

As can be expected from an official Formula One franchise game, the new title will feature all the cars, tracks, drivers and rules of the new Grand Prix season. However of a bigger surprise for the new game is the return of classic content for the first time since 2013. Twelve "new" cars are scheduled to join the historic roster of vehicles, and already confirmed are the 1988 McLaren MP4/4 as driven by Alain Prost and Ayrton Senna, the 1992 Williams FW14B that was raced by Nigel Mansell and Riccardo Patrese and the 2002 Ferrari F2002 of Rubens Barrichello and Michael Schumacher, with Codies teasing news of more historic content due to be announced in the coming weeks.

As well as new content, players can also expect further improvements to the already impressive career mode and multiplayer enhancements, plus a brand new game mode in the form of the vaguely worded 'Championships' option.

F1 2017 2.jpg
F1 2017 3.jpg
F1 2017.jpg

Alongside the classic content reveal trailer, Codemasters have kindly released an enlightening interview with Game Director Paul Jeal and Creative Director Lee Mather, who spend a few moments shedding some light on the new title and what can be expected come release day in August.

"After an extremely successful year with the highly acclaimed F1 2016, we are delighted to be announcing F1 2017 and re-introducing classic F1 cars back to the series” said Paul Jeal, Game Director here at Codemasters. “Classics were incredibly well received when we included them in F1 2013, and in F1 2017 they are back and better than ever. With so many great cars to choose from, it was hard to decide on the final twelve, but we are delighted with our selection of some of the most successful and iconic fan favourites from the past 30 years.”

“For the first time ever F1 2017 fully integrates the classic experience into the main career mode,” said Lee Mather, Creative Director at Codemasters. “As part of your career you will be invited to race in modern day, invitational events in the different classic F1 cars throughout the season. We’re also adding to the variety in F1 2017 with the inclusion of four alternative circuit layouts, as well as numerous new gameplay types. The classic cars will also be available to play in a range of other game modes, including online multiplayer modes and time trial.”

It is indeed good news that the classic content will be more thoroughly ingrained in the core gaming experience, and that Codemasters are intent on producing a sizable number of machines from the golden ages of motorsport. With 11 cars confirmed as coming with the base game release, those of you who pre order the new title will also get access to the 1988 McLaren MP4/4 that will be made available for purchase separately at a later date.

System Requirements

Minimum:

• Processor: Intel Core i3 530 or AMD FX 4100
  • Memory: TBC30 GB RAM
  • Graphics: TBCNvidia GTX 460 or AMD HD 5870
  • DirectX: Version 11
  • Network: Broadband Internet connection
  • Storage: 8 GB available space
  • Sound Card: TBCDirectX Compatible Soundcard
  • Additional Notes: Supported Graphics Cards: AMD HD5870 or better, HD6870 or better, HD7790 or better, R7 260 or better, R9 260 or better Nvidia GTX460 or better Series, GTX560 or better, GTX650Ti or better, GTX750 or better, GTX950 or better

Formula One 2017 will be available for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and Steam PC systems from August 25th 2017. The game can be pre ordered from Steam for £44.99 right now.

Check out the Formula One 2017 sub forum here at RaceDepartment to stay abreast of all the latest news and discussions with regards to the latest Formula One game from Codemasters.

Looking forward to the Formula One 2017 game? Are you happy to see the return of historic content? Which cars would you like to see added as part of the historic pack? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
It looks like that is gonna be another F1 title without VR support.:cry::cry::cry::cry:
Good. It's much too niche right now and is best off tested in actual niche games, like most simracing titles. CM are much better off focusing on things that would make the game a complete package for its overall target audience, since coding in VR support takes valuable time.

My biggest concern right now is what I'm hearing about the wheel handling being much, much easier so far in the closed beta, with the traction being very easy and there being more of a focus on cornering and braking. 2016, while simple in many ways, felt so very satisfying on the throttle with how smooth the grip progression was that it ended up being a much better pick-up-and-play game than AMS for me. With the new game matching the (boring) new regulations, I'm seriously going to miss cars like the 2016 Haas.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2017/5/f1-2017-game-iconic-cars-codemasters.html

Don't get your hopes up on anything in the 50s 60s or 70s as Codemasters have said "iconic fan favorites from the past 30 years" so possibly 1987 to late 2000s.

It would be great to have 2007 and 2008 cars in the game, no official games for those years either.
I think CM specifically said that they'd be focusing on the cars voted on by people in that survey they launched not too long ago, which likely means we'll get the likes of the 412T2 and other cars that, while good, are really overdone in simcades and sims. It is only 12 cars after all, with the MP4/4 being a preorder bonus and eventual DLC car for those who don't preorder, so the odds of seeing a 2008 car are sadly low.

It would also be good to see at least two rival cars from either 2010 or 2012, but, again, that's unlikely as well.

3808a35cfb4aa06f95168bc8c100bbe7.jpg

Maybe it's just the low angle of the image.

Hmm no it's not. They've taken the rear wing off and replaced it with a goalpost.

f1-2017-jpg.191394
It might be because of different focal lengths. If you look at the rear tires, they also seam to be closer to the body than in the real photo. It probably just is the perspective that creates the illusion of the rear being to narrow. Here is an example of the same thing:
focal-length-comparison.jpeg

Why not just buy Automobilista for the classic content?
Normally I'd agree, but I've given up on trying to understand AMS's FFB compared to AC's or 2016's (so I've mostly stopped playing it as I don't find it enjoyable anymore), and my less sim-oriented friends would rather play 2017 in MP than something like AMS. The latter in particular is extremely important to me, as I'm not very interested in playing online with random people or in leagues very much.

But dirt rally has it??
Dirt Rally was primarily developed for the PC, by the B team, as a pet project. The A team would have to change a lot of things about the version of the engine they are using in order to make use of the same features, which is difficult for a series that is forced to have yearly releases. In fact, DR got VR support very late into its life cycle.

That FW14B looks a bit narrow to me. I thought it was the FW15 when I first saw the screenshot.

I've seen footage of the old F1 2013 classics and I can't say it ever made me want to play it.

It'll take a lot to beat what the modding community has already come up with for most of those cars.
The 2013 classics were brilliant but it was even better because of the classic tracks that came with it. We ran a league here with the classics back then. No mention of any classic tracks for 2017 though which is a shame but I am stoked to see the cars nonetheless.

Like others I am eagerly awaiting the beta release codes.. anyone got any idea when they are likely to be with us?

Last edited:
The 2013 classics were brilliant but it was even better because of the classic tracks that came with it. We ran a league here with the classics back then. No mention of any classic tracks for 2017 though which is a shame but I am stoked to see the cars nonetheless.

Like others I am eagerly awaiting the beta release codes.. anyone got any idea when they are likely to be with us?
As far as I remember beta started in the beginning of June last year (I still have "notes" saved from various days), it was about a week after they announced the game; still, game was announced at a later time then (27 May, IIRC), so we might be getting beta very soon now, in a week or 2.

Dirt Rally was primarily developed for the PC, by the B team, as a pet project. The A team would have to change a lot of things about the version of the engine they are using in order to make use of the same features, which is difficult for a series that is forced to have yearly releases. In fact, DR got VR support very late into its life cycle.

Why would they have to change the ego engine to accommodate VR :O_o: ?

Its a shame they cant release the complete seasons for the classic cars, just doing the odd car in my eyes is pointless, yes its ok for a while , but we need the full grids! i know i for one would love to race the old cars more than the modern f1 and i feel i speak for thousands out their too, maybe the great mods out their can do some great skin packs etc. 1988/1994/1995/1996/2006 now were talking!

2017 BETA TESTERS:
It was confirmed beta codes will be going out on Tuesday (confirmed on Twitter). Prepare!

Anyway, I do really hope gamepads will be fixed this time - I really don't like this slow-center thing in F1 2016, makes sudden direction changes (a few corners) almost impossible... (for me at least; gamepad is Afterglow AX.1 (X360 gamepad)) If you don't know what I'm talking about, try quickly change directions from one side to another (fully) - you'll notice in-game wheel stops at the middle and then again slowly turns like it was just turned from center...

Hello guys how are you?? Hope this message find all of you in perfect conditions!

So i was watching some YouTube Videos about Dirt 4 and on the video of SlapTrain he shows the Player Profile and i think that this is how F1 2017 is going to build their Profile Setup.
I think you all should check this.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back