F1 2012 F1 2012 Demo

F1 2012 The Game (Codemasters)
No confusion here, my friend. As a software developer I'm fairly familiar with writing "someArray[5]" to call the 6th element of an array ;)
My problem is rather simple - I need to figure out which button does what, since the game gives no visual feedback about button bindings. Instead of simple and clear "Enter", "Shift" (from the keyboard) or "[]", "X", "L1", "R3" (wheel buttons) icons you get some numbers and you need to check an exterior application for any context.

Just found a bit of a random glitch in the demo when doing the free runs on the YDT. I went on earlier and did a dry run, everything was normal. Then done a wet run and again everything is normal. However when I went back out for a dry run (all of this in the same session) the first sector and up to the braking zone after the first DRS straight was still soaking wet whilst the rest of the track was dry. Whilst this may be an issue, it is a fantastic challenge just to keep the car on the road with slick tyres on the first half of the lap with no assists either
"It's not a bug, it's a feature" :roflmao:
No, but seriously - haven't you heard of a huge new feature this year, an improved dynamic weather system, that makes the rain fall just on a part of the circuit, while the whole rest stays bone dry (very Spa-ish feature).

No confusion here, my friend. As a software developer I'm fairly familiar with writing "someArray[5]" to call the 6th element of an array ;)
My problem is rather simple - I need to figure out which button does what, since the game gives no visual feedback about button bindings. Instead of simple and clear "Enter", "Shift" (from the keyboard) or "[]", "X", "L1", "R3" (wheel buttons) icons you get some numbers and you need to check an exterior application for any context.

Yes, when I see button 16 etc. I haven't a clue which one it is. Maybe they will improve it (I doubt it), otherwise it's a little hand drawing on a bit of paper, with my button layout on it.

Now I have a NEW problem, others have it, and now I do, after it working just fine all day yesterday.

AUTOSAVE has ceased to function ........ aaaaaaahhhhhh!

I was just discussing this very thing earlier today, and now it happens, it's all Paul Lock's fault ! ;)

Yesterdays settings are all there, I just can't change them permanently, my new wheel tweaks no longer stick, I have to enter them every time I boot the game.

I have verified the game cache via Steam, and tried the old F1 2011 trick of booting with the keyboard, then selecting the wheel and remapping again. However, I no longer get the autosave warning after editing, and turning off autosave, then using the SAVE function in the MyF1 menu doesn't work. Doh!

Resetting my profile does work either.

I will have to find where the game save file is located. There must be one, because yesterday's settings are still present in the system. Once I find it, I'll try deleting it.

....... and I really hoped that the autosave bug would be gone after moving to Steam

I'm afraid it won't be that easy this time - the game uses Steamwork and all the perks that come with it... Just like storing savegames in Steam cloud.
A while ago I wanted to try my buddy's campaign from DoW2: Retribution by copying his savegames, but... there aren't any! :D
I'm not sure what would happen though, if you turned the cloud off... That might force the game to store savegames locally.

I can get autosave working again, but it is at the expense of losing your profile, and starting again.

They are stored locally in in a folder called remote (which must go to the cloud). The folder called local has a gamesave folder in it, but there are no files in either folder, probably because it's demo.

During this attempt to fix the problem, I have disabled the cloud for the game, as I don't want it to overwrite what I am doing.

Looking at the file names, this appears to be EXACTLY the same bug that was in F1 2011. I think there were 2 methods of recovering your profile in F1 2011, I have tried one, but that cost me my profile, so I am about to try the other one. I am definitely not impressed.

EDIT: Both of the old methods used in F1 2011 failed to recover the profile. The only good thing is that I got a chance to create a new profile, and start again. This time I have switched off autosave and gone to manual. Neither auto or manual worked prior to creation of the new profile

2012-corrupt1.jpg

2012-corrupt2.jpg

So I've FINALLY been able to try the demo out tonight! I'd been keeping an eye on this thread though to see what everyone thought, and had seen mixed responses.

But i have to say after playing it for about an hour and a half tonight, i feel pretty happy. I think it's definitely a pretty big improvement from what ive seen so far. main thing i've noticed is the loose back end is gone, im now no longer scared to try and get the power down and attack the lesmo's or ascari and have the car spin out on me.

The one thing i have found i really dont like, is the very loose feeling and chronic understeer i was getting when i attacked parabolica a bit too much, and just slid off the track, with no feeling coming through the wheel to correct it at all!!

But on boot up i have noticed a message saying that the finished product will be different, so i'm very much hoping that is something they solve. But apart from that all good, and love that you can have actual battles with the AI now :) and that you cant just simply outbrake them in the big stops

Gday all, ive been having a crack at the demo since release on pc and i must say im loving it. Compared to last year it looks great, sounds good and drives pretty well, yes the handling is different to last year but i think thats a good thing. Im not the best driver in the world and i struggled to start with, but after fiddling with the ingame settings ive managed to dial out a fair bit of the understeer and make it a lot nicer to drive. Your right jonathon ive had some great battles with the AI and i really like the disturbed air feeling when your behind another car. Heres my ingame settings and logitech profiler settings on my G25.

Advanced Wheel Settings

All 0 except
Steering Linearity 35%
Steering Saturation 50%

(at the moment)

Force Feedback

Logitech Profiler

Overall 60%
rest at 0%
Wheel Rotation 300 Deg

Allow game to change settings ticked (i dont like a lot of feedback also still playing with these).

Tried it on the PS3 as I didn't realise it was available on the PC (now downloading that version).

Welcome to Understeer Simulator 2012. Based on my limited running on the PS3 with a G27.

Graphics : They really are quite bad, the only game I own on the PS3 is GT5 and the graphics were considerably better on that, F1 2012 on PS3 is not a good looking game by any standards that I'm used to.

Physics : I don't know where to start, from what I remember of F1 2011 this is a lot worse, words cannot explain how strongly I felt this when playing it. F1 2011 was never a sim and it was no saint, but I enjoyed playing it and felt the driving model was really solid. This however just feels like a game where I select the right gear in order to get through the corner without understeering off the track at full lock.

FFB : Again PS3 version... but my it feels like it really doesnt have much in the way of FFB, a few canned vibrations over rumble strips and a lot of "bleh" the rest of the time, 2011 on the PC was a lot better.

Sounds : Great, I always like the sounds in Codemasters game and this is no exception.

To be honest I don't think I can buy it, I really did love the previous two games, and while they aren't my favourite driving experiences (a prefer a good sim) I really enjoyed them and found the driving models were believable and responsive, but this demo of 2012 has been far from that.

I'm a bit of a sad/disapointed F1 fan now, as I'd hoped they wouldn't be taking steps backwards.

I can get autosave working again, but it is at the expense of losing your profile, and starting again.

They are stored locally in in a folder called remote (which must go to the cloud). The folder called local has a gamesave folder in it, but there are no files in either folder, probably because it's demo.

During this attempt to fix the problem, I have disabled the cloud for the game, as I don't want it to overwrite what I am doing.

Looking at the file names, this appears to be EXACTLY the same bug that was in F1 2011. I think there were 2 methods of recovering your profile in F1 2011, I have tried one, but that cost me my profile, so I am about to try the other one. I am definitely not impressed.

EDIT: Both of the old methods used in F1 2011 failed to recover the profile. The only good thing is that I got a chance to create a new profile, and start again. This time I have switched off autosave and gone to manual. Neither auto or manual worked prior to creation of the new profile

2012-corrupt1.jpg

2012-corrupt2.jpg

If I see anyone having that in the first month of the game's release, I'm not buying. Seriously, after 3 years the lifeblood of the game still doesn't work properly.

I guess if you polish a turd, it's still a turd.

Other question - WHY for Pete's sake can't I change my car settings before qualifying? I can only use those retarded quick setups. Or am I missing something here? :cautious:
Custom setups are not available in the demo, it seems.
On top of that, the Parc Fermé rules apply, so between Q and R sessions you cannot change any of your car's settings (if the weather is the same).

Well, I've had the pleasure of driving this demo, and I didn't play F1 2011, but I played F1 2010 for two years instead, so..

It was a bit of a change to come to 2012, but all in all, it's probably easier to drive F1 2012 but, I can say clearly as many of you discovered the game is not meant for a controller. I managed to race and dominate F1 2010 (literally dominate) with a controller, but I can barely drive here. It's exciting in a way because the way the wheel works, I have a sneaking feeling that when I put my wheel on it will feel alot more comfortable to drive. But at any rate, this is some footage of me playing with the controller.

You'll notice there are some instances where I am having alot of difficulty to control the car, it's quite twitchy and difficult to drive smoothly aswell. So yeah, very excited for the full game, I'll surely be getting it, but I'll more then likely drive with the wheel, if not I'll make some prayers that someone figures out some configurations to make controllers easier to drive.

I could try copying my F1 2010 settings, is it the same system?

If you are talking about the wheel's in game settings, then no, there is a huge difference just changing to F1 2011, and more changes going to F1 2012.

You can try them, but you'd probably better off having a look around this forum or CM's forum for wheel settings, for a starting point at least

If you are talking about the wheel's in game settings, then no, there is a huge difference just changing to F1 2011, and more changes going to F1 2012.

You can try them, but you'd probably better off having a look around this forum or CM's forum for wheel settings, for a starting point at least

Controller settings, yeah. Your probably right. But I don't think there's a way to increase the actual speed that the ingame wheel turns at, and therefore you can't really configure the game for a controller because it has limits.

• Deleted member 115516

Been playing about with penalty system and would like to know if this is correct.

If i spin say Perez and i go off track. Then Glock hits Perez. Should i recive the double penalty i've been getting. One for causing crash between me and Perez and the other for essentially causing the Glock and Perez incident?
you would only get one in real life;)

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea