F1 2010 F1 2010 - Arcade or Simulation?

F1 2010 The Game (Codemasters)
There is no rubber banding. Codies have used the rubber banding coding to allow a leading AI driver with a big lead over the next car to back off, as they do in real life. Very clever if you ask me :)

That seems quite a strange thing to do as it seems the ai dont carry fuel loads(qualifying lap times at the first qcouple of laps of the race) and their speed isnt affected by damage or engine wear ,rain(posting better lap times in the wet than in the dry)
So why do they have to slow down to conserve these things.
If they were operating under the same rules and restrictions as the player then yea i could see the point but they arent,
half the time they are ignoring pitstops and tire changes required under the rules of F1 racing.

And whats funnier is targa has posted that they couldn't get the ai to compete competitively in practice and quali (so they give them random times)so how are they matching quali times posted in the first few laps of the race,seems more like they need the player on the track racing to bring the rubber banding into play for the race to work.

Lastly there is no time generated by the game in relation to how far back or in front another car is (at least for the player)so how are the ai calculating when to bring that rubber banding in to play.

PS :A while back Targa posted when a question was asked about rubber banding,he replied that under no circumstances would he want a game with rubber banding ai in it .
I wonder what changed.

This is not an arcade game, it isnt in any arcades i am aware of, and it certaintly doesnt play like Daytona USA or Sega Rally. F1 2010 is a racing game, it isnt an accurate simulation and the driving system isnt the best by a long way but its a pretty good game, to non enthusiasts it will probably be very difficult to play.

Graphics wise it is fanstastic, the tracks are amazingly well done, so detailed in terms of eye candy, something that no other game/sim can even compare to. The sounds are great, the AI is better than any other racing game/sim to date.

Im not a fan of the physics or the FFB, i do enjoy other games alot more in this area, but F1 2010 is a Racing game, a pretty good one, its not an "arcade game" it couldnt be further from that, and in many areas it manages to surpass pretty much every other game.

It is not a sim in terms of Rfactor, Iracing, LFS, FVA... but an arcade game it is not.. have a think about what the phrase "Arcade game" means. What F1 2010 is... is a Racing Game.

I think the point is that Sega Rally/Daytona were games that were made for arcades, with no intention of being realistic at all, then converted onto consoles due to their success. Aye they were Racing games, but they were born in arcades, they are the benchmark arcade racing games of the early 90's, you cant compare F1 2010 to those games.

For the record, I loved sega rally, I played it to death on my sega saturn ^^.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.