F1 2010 F1 2010 - Arcade or Simulation?

F1 2010 The Game (Codemasters)
Pretty disappointed with it tbh. I dont know what input Anthony Davidson had other than saying "Yes, that looks like an F1 car". You can put you foot hard on the throttle with no TC and still not lose control. How is that even 1% sim?

I know it's been made so everyone can enjoy it but the effort to try and cater for more serious users is massively lacking. All this talk of an 'Arcade' and 'Sim' mode are none existent (or I just cant find them). The fact you can just hammer it into a corner, completely miss the brake point, stand on the brakes whilst thrashing it down the gears without locking a wheel or even coming close to losing control is rediculous. The physics are comparable with that of NFS:Underground/Most Wanted. Even NFS Shift is leaps and bounds ahead of F1 2010 because at least you could challenge yourself.

I managed to qualify 11th in a Lotus with a pretty shocking lap with it on the most difficult settings. It needs a patch, fast. Oh and what's going on with the pit stops? You set it all to manual yet you cant drive yourself down the pitlane? It's one of the key parts of the race, why is it all automated!?

It's not all negative. They've done a great job with the graphics and sound, pity that's the only thing I can give praise about.

Pretty disappointed with it tbh. I dont know what input Anthony Davidson had other than saying "Yes, that looks like an F1 car". You can put you foot hard on the throttle with no TC and still not lose control. How is that even 1% sim?

I know it's been made so everyone can enjoy it but the effort to try and cater for more serious users is massively lacking. All this talk of an 'Arcade' and 'Sim' mode are none existent (or I just cant find them). The fact you can just hammer it into a corner, completely miss the brake point, stand on the brakes whilst thrashing it down the gears without locking a wheel or even coming close to losing control is rediculous. The physics are comparable with that of NFS:Underground/Most Wanted. Even NFS Shift is leaps and bounds ahead of F1 2010 because at least you could challenge yourself.

I managed to qualify 11th in a Lotus with a pretty shocking lap with it on the most difficult settings. It needs a patch, fast. Oh and what's going on with the pit stops? You set it all to manual yet you cant drive yourself down the pitlane? It's one of the key parts of the race, why is it all automated!?

It's not all negative. They've done a great job with the graphics and sound, pity that's the only thing I can give praise about.

Thank you Tim, you said the truth... for 101 %

I would consider it 80% sim. Remember the devs said that it would be about an 8 of 10 on sim scale. The problem, there is no 100% sim game. The best sim is difficult and still not 100%. It does not take into account the real world factor(like oil or oil dry on the tracks) or devs have not worked on the tires like they have in F1 2010, but I would imagine F1 2011 to be 90-95% or as close as you can get. I think they have done an excellent job trying to market towards non F1 followers with this game and I plan to play this title until 2011 comes out.

Thank you Tim, you said the truth... for 101 %

Please speak for yourselves ;)

Yes there's a bug with the AI difficulty, but they're looking into it along with the pitstop bug.

I've had many times I just spin out because I put my foot down to early, or took too much curb for example.

You can also lock the brakes, mostly at low speeds. I'm sure you can lock the brakes at high speeds also if you are going to play with the brake balance and mess up.

Beside this there are many good points about it. Use your tires wrong and you'll get a puncture, they will wear out to soon etc., you've got to manage the engine as you only have 8 engines to use in the season, make a tyre strategy for the race etc.

For me the good points outweigh the weaker point for sure, having good fun with it so far :)

If I throttle too much with tcs on I spin. Then with it off, I spin. If I miss the braking point and hit the brakes harder, they will lock easy and send me off into the grass or dirt. If the ai is really easy on expert, then try another mode like amateur or casual! Mine is hard on amateur!

FVA praised by many as the greatest F1 sim, you can floor it with the throttle in a straight line without so much as a tickle, and while you have to be careful coming on the throttle out of corners you can be very aggressive, far more so than in other sims. Though i will admit the braking mechanics in FVA are just awesome and ruthlessly unforgiving which does make it difficult to drive in a different way.

How much of this is down to snobbery with F1 2010? I cant speak about the game and perhaps i will be tooting my horns about how i dont like it, and if it plays like GRID im sure i will, but then i will get over myself and play it anyway. I liked GRID, its a fun game, even if i despise the physics of it.

This thread title should have been "Is it enjoyable or not?" That would have been a real question ;)

I am sure everybody do enjoy quite different things.

For me the question is, do you feel you drive a screen or a car? If you feel you are driving a screen through the circuit, I won't enjoy it (may be others do), but if you feel the game reacts as a car would do, then if you feel you are driving a car, I will enjoy it.

Is it as realistic as Shift? That's enough. But for me at least that, not less.

I personally think its great. Its a nice entry 'sim' for folks looking for an accessible online racer. I knew what it was going to be before i purchased it, so i wasnt expecting a hardcore simbin rfactor etc simulation. But its far enough away from Grid or shift to not be called arcade. its a great middle-ground imo.

So much opposite opinions going around its hard to know what to believe. GRID is a good place to compare, made by the same company, probably based on the same engine. It was a fun game but very unrealistic, you could drive crazy fast, the handbrake was better than the normal brake in a lot of cars. Driving aids in GRID made you not just faster, but monsterously faster, it was like adding a tonne of downforce and removing understeer altogether if you turned on the stability control, allowing you to take corners much much faster... Where in many sims the aids slow you down if you can drive properly without them. Cars turned like on rails, without any apparent tyre modeling, it was like driving on 1 big fat tyre.

When you spun in GRID, it wasnt a situational moment of part of your driving, it was like a scripted "you just hit this threshold" trigger that caused you to spin or go off the track at which point you become a passenger, rather than something that is part of the driving experience that can be anticipated or corrected, when the game wants you to spin there is no remedy, you spin. Something that felt very unnatural and made for frustrating gameplay especially when up against the suicidaly stupid AI cars, that at the slightest bump you from behind could trigger the "you are going to understeer and drive in a straight line off the track into a wall, regardless of what you attempt in order to fix this situation"

This type of gameplay is what i have been dreading from F1 2010, as GRID for me consisted of lots of "Restart Race" due to the absolute madness of the other cars on the track, and if i managed to get passed the other cars without destroying my car i would pull an absolute massive lead over them, handbraking through most corners because it was faster than the understeer of the normal brakes.

Good fun, but i played that with a gamepad.

I think, there is more negative from the game not being setup correctly, look at my posts. I have the game properly setup. The ai is hard even on amateur, I have poled in qual session and when I pitted went back in the field to past 20th in the race due to being held up, you get wheel spin with TCS on, You can easily spin with it off. Like I put in another post if the ai is so **** easy do some video capture to show how hard they are and how bad you are!

I think it is hilarious, that people are complaining about the physics when they never sat in an f1 car. I cant tell you about how much sim it is because I never tried the real thing!!
Everyone who says " I wait for the modders to improve the physics" is full of crap. How does a modder know all the data to make it "more of a sim" ? THEY JUST MAKE IT MORE TWITCHY!
In my opinion all the f1 Mods out there are crap. I like how f1 2010 rives and I dont have to be an engineer and work on setups all day. I am a driver, not an engineer. I think it is pretty close to the Ferrari sim. I can spin my tyres, lock up brakes and curbs can be easy to use but when you are too aggressive and too low you gonna loose control.
I also wanna see videos of "he who complains about it being too easy" and doing real life lap-times.
I am not going back to the crappy years old rfactor and simbin titles.
I stick with iRacing and f1 2010.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 282 15.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 190 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 192 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 140 7.5%
  • < 5 years