Extremely dark screen after 1.8 update

I have seen one other person say the have this issue as well. Wondering if anyone else has run in to this issue and if there is a fix.

I cannot run races at night or under cloudy conditions. At night, everything is just barely visible, even after turning on high beams. The dash display isn't even visible at night. Under cloudy conditions, it's a bit better but almost like driving at night with only the day time running lights on in my truck.

Even running in clear conditions, it looks like I'm running in overcast but at least driveable.

Do you have a custom engine.ini file? The patch notes advised to not use any customisations there. I removed mine at first, whereby the game creates a new one, but I got curious and tried the custom file and it was dark, starting from the menu background, and night time and dawn were impossible to drive in. I use VR so I had gotten accustomed to messing around with the engine.ini file but it's back to stock option for now.

Do you have a custom engine.ini file? The patch notes advised to not use any customisations there. I removed mine at first, whereby the game creates a new one, but I got curious and tried the custom file and it was dark, starting from the menu background, and night time and dawn were impossible to drive in. I use VR so I had gotten accustomed to messing around with the engine.ini file but it's back to stock option for now.
This did help! Thank you!
Not sure if/when I edited it, though, but much better now!

The r.EyeAdaptationQuality=0 is the cause of this, remove this line from your engine.ini.

Apparently I only have this file for the Skip Barber folder, which I never use.

To be sure, do I need to look in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\ModDev\Vehicles\..."? Windows search (on root C) didn't give me the results I was looking for.

Last edited:
I could kiss you.

Where do I find this file?

I've searched but can't find it

Where do I find this file?

I've searched but can't find it

The Engine.ini file is at C:\Users\****\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor

Replace **** with your user name. The AppData folder is hidden by default. You can change settings in File Explorer to see hidden items or just enter the full file address (including the correct user name) in the address bar.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back