F1 2012 eXhaust Fumes unofficial review of F1 2012

F1 2012 The Game (Codemasters)
eXhaust Fumes
unofficial review of
F1 2012 by Codemasters

Hello race fans and welcome to another edition of eXhaust Fumes, you one stop magazine for a little bit of news about formula one. As I play the PC version I will not be addressing anything about the console versions.

In this special article we'll be looking at the latest game from Codemasters, F1 2012. This is the third game in the series and it comes with many changes. By far the most wanted change from the PC players was the dropping of GFWL, this has finally happened! Steam is so far proving to be much more reliable for a means of setting up online racing although I only have the words of other players to go by as I have not tried the game online yet... That may happen this weekend so be ready for a possible Sunday supplement ;)

So what’s changed in the game? Gone is the full weekend race mode with all 3 practice sessions, this has been replaced by a single hour long practice followed by a 3 part qualification system which matches the real world of F1. I have a few problems with this change, firstly this is supposed to be a game which allows us to 'be the driver' and live the life... So when did all the teams decide that practice was just a waste of time? Did the FIA decide it was just costing to much in fuel and tyres? NO. Instead I have a theory as to why the game has been changed in this way. Remember the tyre wear issues we had with F1 2011? Well they're back... But by only allowing us to run for one hour the issue is minimised. So the whole reason we have only one practice now is to white wash over a bug they have not fixed yet.

Champions mode. This new mode allows us to try our skills against the large number of Champions we have on the grid. While fun the first time around I do not see much, if any, replay value in this feature. A nice try at a new game mode but a bit limited in its value.

New driver stuff. I've always wondered how the teams go about introducing new drivers to the cars and now we know. Though when you think about it these young drivers come from F2 or formulas that are very close to F1 so why do I feel like I'm being told how to drive for the first time? Its a great tutorial aid for new-comers to the game but again once you've done it a few times are you really going to rush home thinking “I can't wait to do the young drivers test again to night!”?

Graphics. 2010 Was good, 2011 was better and 2012 again improves on what we already had, granted its not by much but aside from a building a new track, touching up the old German track from 2010 and re-painting the cars there was never going to be much that could be done. It seams that the graphics team spent quite a bit of time making new cut scenes for us to OOo and Ahh over. Once again the view from the cockpit has improved and we can now see the useless mirrors and just like the commentators of the real F1 are so fond of telling us, you can't rely on them to much...

Sound. Over the last couple of games the sound is something that Codemasters have always seemed to struggle with but I am a lot more impressed by this years offering. From the much improved menu music to the noise of the tyres on the track, every aspect of the sound has got better... Except that I’m certain my old Commodore 64 could make the same engine sounds. Maybe I should look up the tutorial on sawtooth sounds for SID (You have to be a bit old to understand that reference :)).

Gameplay. A lot of people have said that the game has to much under-steer and is unplayable. This may have been the case for the demo but once you have the full game and you've spent some time setting up your wheel, pad, keyboard or even joystick the car handles fine. Its then that you come to the real issues. Is this an evolution of F1 2011 or F1 2010? I ask because I feel like I’m driving the 2010 car with the 2011 wheel controlled changes and the ability to move the brake balance. In short this does not feel like an advancement but a mash-up of the last two games and one new option thrown in to make it more 2012ish.

Rules. Well this year we have Parc Fermi (If I have spelt this wrong go and shoot yourself for knowing that its wrong :p) which stops us making changes after practice finishes. After the 3 patches it seems that this system is now keeping your car set-up saved between each session. If you go from Q1 to Q2 and then quit the game, the next time your set-up from the end of practice will be on the car without you needing to load anything. This is working fine for me but I am still reading about people who say it is not. Try it out for yourself. Anther big change to the rules is the way the car responds when being driven of track with little to no traction available. This is a blessing for online players! The main reason why I stayed away from F1 2011 was due to the number of drivers who would ignore the RD race club rules and just drive over corners without penalties. At least now they will suffer the loss of traction which should make things a lot more enjoyable and possibly bring back many of the old league racers from the 2010 game.

Now I know I haven’t touched on all of the areas the game has issues with or even all of the improvements but after spending a year waiting for the game to come out I’m now going to go back to playing it.

Thanks for taking the time to read this personal rant and keep an eye out for our non-exclusive review of multilayer...

Now its over to your the players for some questions...

What is your favourite new feature for F1 2012?

What is the worst feature of F1 2012?

Which game mode will you play the most?

Which of the three games do you think is the best so far and why?

Till next time folks!

You can't win a race in turn one...

But you can loose it.

What is your favourite new feature for F1 2012?Kimi Räikkönen and the black Lotus. But regarding gameplay it is KERS and DRS since I didn't buy F1 2011.
What is the worst feature of F1 2012?The lack of Full race weekend and adjustable season mode.
Which game mode will you play the most?Quick race. I only want to play as one of the real drivers and I have had my own F1 World Championship parallell to the real since 1979 (homemade board game) and since 1991 (Geoff Crammonds Grand Prix)
Which of the three games do you think is the best so far and why?I've only had time to test the new tracks (India and USA) and half an hour on Monza but I think F1 2012 is best so far.

The safety car.. oh wait

Peer 2 peer hosting

Quick race.

F1 2010 offered the best value for your money as it was new and innovative. The two sequels are both just minor upgrades that are sold for the full price. F1 2012 is a fun game though but not as innovative as F1 2010 was.

Parc Ferme (but there should be the option to turn it off for online practice session.

No custom season mode or 75% race distance.

Quick Race

Tough to call at the moment.. I have loved them all for different reasons. 2012 is still in it's infancy but it has the potential to be the best. More time with it will tell for sure.

Parc Ferme.
No dedicated server for multiplayer.
Quick race.

Tough one, F1 2010 suited my driving style but the braking was a joke, F1 2011 had better braking which i was getting use to, F1 2012 is something i can't answer for yet because i'm still getting use to it and bugs are still been fixed. Maybe if the steering problems was fixed or dialed down a little i would find this game closer to my liking.

What is your favourite new feature for F1 2012?I guess Parc Ferme... but should Parc Ferme even be considered a feature in F1? Should just be

The worst feature is the one that is missing..... Season mode. Head scratcher there

I will play career the most once the console has the rain forest fix.

As of right now (console) without the 2.5 million patches released.... 2011 is my favorite. That may change once we get our 2.5 million patches.

The weather system, and the new car models and Handling.

The Removal of FP1 and FP2

Career

2012 has by far the best driving experience, but i liked the atmosphere of 2010 the most. But if i had to choose, then definitely 2012, because aside from the removal of some modes and features, etc. The technical side of the game has increased hugely, with DRS characteristics of each car, and tyre wear characteristics, and the weather system has improved the strategy greatly.

You mentioned in the 3rd paragraph that the tyre bug has not been fixed, when in actual fact, it has.

In 2011, you couldnt "drive out" of the garage more than once on a single set of tyres. without the wear getting transferred over to the next set of fresh tyres. In 2012, you can "drive out" as many times as you like on what ever tyres you like, and no wear is transferred.

Some people are also claiming that the bug is in fact still present, when they say that they drove into the pits, and selected a tyre that is different to the one on the pre race strategy, and then they dont get the tyre that they selected with the D-pad. This is because 2012 doesnt allow you to select a set of tyres for your next stint whilst you're trundling down the pit lane. You have to select them before you dive into the pits.

You mentioned in the 3rd paragraph that the tyre bug has not been fixed, when in actual fact, it has.

In 2011, you couldnt "drive out" of the garage more than once on a single set of tyres. without the wear getting transferred over to the next set of fresh tyres. In 2012, you can "drive out" as many times as you like on what ever tyres you like, and no wear is transferred.

Some people are also claiming that the bug is in fact still present, when they say that they drove into the pits, and selected a tyre that is different to the one on the pre race strategy, and then they dont get the tyre that they selected with the D-pad. This is because 2012 doesnt allow you to select a set of tyres for your next stint whilst you're trundling down the pit lane. You have to select them before you dive into the pits.

I'll have to get some screen shots together or maybe its a misunderstanding on my part but when Im in the pits and I look at the tyre's there is a number which increases for all of my sets whenever I have driven out or even just hot-lapped but thanks for pointing this out :)

What is your favourite new feature for F1 2012?Kimi Räikkönen and the black Lotus. But regarding gameplay it is KERS and DRS since I didn't buy F1 2011.
What is the worst feature of F1 2012?The lack of Full race weekend and adjustable season mode.
Which game mode will you play the most?Quick race. I only want to play as one of the real drivers and I have had my own F1 World Championship parallell to the real since 1979 (homemade board game) and since 1991 (Geoff Crammonds Grand Prix)
Which of the three games do you think is the best so far and why?I've only had time to test the new tracks (India and USA) and half an hour on Monza but I think F1 2012 is best so far.
I changed my mind about my favorite new feature! Now my favorite news is the "Race Director"-possibility to see the other cars position during the race whenever I paus and the fact that the AI get penalty. That NEVER happened in F1 2010.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back