Enhanced AA Settings?

What's the word on enhancing anti-aliasing? I've already added 8x sparse grid supersampling in Nvidia Inspector along with the in game 4x AA setting. Seems like it's not doing a ton of jaggie removal, though. Maybe I'm expecting too much. I've tried a bunch of other additional nvidia inspector settings with no improvement and I give up. I've also tried 4x DSR and honestly, I don't see what the fuss is about with DSR. I didn't see much improvement, and certainly not worth the GPU load it causes. Anybody have any recommendations?

Also, should nvidia inspector AA mode be enhance? I assumed yes.

Screenshot attached of my nvidia inspector profile. Currently getting 100 fps pretty easily on my GTX980.

SpMDL2RKfkaKJuoGzqSjhJ7pveyi00qAf_OBLp9cd1uj=w928-h819-no

Okay , 1 hour has passed and i tested back to back at Nords 15:30 mid clear .
Started with Shadow map size @16384 = No change (not even fps)
Revert back to 4096
Then Splits to 0, 150, 500, 1000 = no change (not even fps)
Revert back to 5 , 80 , 300 , 500
Then Map bias (es) to 1 = no change ( not even fps)
then thought stuff it and did all together , shadow map 16384 , splits 0,150,500,1000 and left biases at 1 and you guessed it NOTHING !!!
What is going on ? I went back a checked everything was saved to new changed numbers and YES still 16384 , 0,150,500,1000 and biases at 1 .
So i changed it all back to my default just to see if it did look better or change at all and i honestly cant see any difference while sitting 55"away from my 55"3840x2160 screen !
WHY ?
Anyway i just reverted back to my defaults and left it and now walking away in disgust .lol
F**ckin Kunos shadows ,lol , what can you do ? Just hope pCars 2 get it right i guess .
Thanks for your help anyway .

I hope pCars 2 get the aa right. Ive had enough of current Sims and their flicker/crawl and crappy shadows.
I wonder whar Automobilista 2 will look like?
I don't have much hope for pcars 2 in terms of flickering. Every new game gets worse. Dirt 4 is flickering like crazy, dirt Rally was okay.
Only good thing is the new "taa" that a few games are using. Not the best but really little Performance impact and flicker while in motion is heavily reduced :)
Games I know with it:
F1 2016
Battlefield 1
For honor
Watch dogs 2

Hi, I am catching up on this thread with the following situation:

With 1080ti@2.0Ghz and 7700k@4,9Ghz I have 4x SGSS and 4x Multisampling running with Asintropic filtering (AF) disabled as well as SS under Steam VR. I get 90 FPS on the grid with 15 cars. All textures and cars are looking fantastic, no shimmering, no flickering, no blur. So far so good.

Enabling 2x AF (lowest possible setting) and/or using any SteamVR SS >1 for testing dramatically reduces frame rates. As well does using 8x SGSS with 8x Multisampling (experimental setting in Content manager) under the above conditions with a more devastating effect on frame rates but it really looks awesome. Shadows are fully disabled using Content manager and no PP as that does also minimize frame rates. No issue with that.

Now to the issue: With 4x SGSS and corresponding multisampling I am loosing road textures. The road right around the car looks normal but all the rest is just a washed out grey. Driving without road textures totally ruins the immersion for the sake of fantastic looking cars and environment.

Any idea how to get road textures back when using SGSS and having to disable AF? Maybe just a small thing I am not considering.

Thanks,

Chris

Hi, yes, that is true. I am now running 4xAA/16xAF with 2.4SS and ASW on in VR (Supersampling filters off), no SGSS, fullscreen 1920x1080, shadows and reflections high, smoke minimum and gbw-suite installed and I get 90FPS with a stunning quality (no shimmering), perfect with openwheel cars and a little less with all others. When using ppfilter I have to give up on shadows, however, shadows provide so much immersion I can't do without them.

Hi, yes, that is true. I am now running 4xAA/16xAF with 2.4SS and ASW on in VR (Supersampling filters off), no SGSS, fullscreen 1920x1080, shadows and reflections high, smoke minimum and gbw-suite installed and I get 90FPS with a stunning quality (no shimmering), perfect with openwheel cars and a little less with all others. When using ppfilter I have to give up on shadows, however, shadows provide so much immersion I can't do without them.
Not really what you or others might wanna hear but you should try project cars 2 in VR!
Friend of mine just did and while he says the driving itself is indeed a bit weird sometimes, the VR performance is the best of all available sims!

Not really what you or others might wanna hear but you should try project cars 2 in VR!
Friend of mine just did and while he says the driving itself is indeed a bit weird sometimes, the VR performance is the best of all available sims!

Hi Rasmus, you are right and I always like to hear your opinion ;-)

I have always played PC1 and PC2 in the past and even before AC. Graphics are best in class but not so much ahead of AC (at least in VR and on my rig), especially given the year of development in comparison. However, car physics are not even close to AC and when I first tried AC I instantly loved it.

I really expect for ACC to set a new standard over and above PC2 and I am hoping for the VR technology to become more affordable so that more people can enjoy the immersion, the markets becomes more interesting for developers and games start to become optimized towards VR.

I mean, even putting my PC in front of my living room 65inch TV in 4K is nowhere near the fun in VR to me. Immersion. No way back.

It certainly builds on you: Yesterday during a VR training race with "max AI performance settings" in Monza I caught myself sticking out my middle finger while finally overtaking that "bastard"...LOL and I was wondering why he did not even turn his head towards me. Is he not taking it serious enough...? His manager should have a chat with him.

Chris

Hi Rasmus, you are right and I always like to hear your opinion ;-)

I have always played PC1 and PC2 in the past and even before AC. Graphics are best in class but not so much ahead of AC (at least in VR and on my rig), especially given the year of development in comparison. However, car physics are not even close to AC and when I first tried AC I instantly loved it.

I really expect for ACC to set a new standard over and above PC2 and I am hoping for the VR technology to become more affordable so that more people can enjoy the immersion, the markets becomes more interesting for developers and games start to become optimized towards VR.

I mean, even putting my PC in front of my living room 65inch TV in 4K is nowhere near the fun in VR to me. Immersion. No way back.

It certainly builds on you: Yesterday during a VR training race with "max AI performance settings" in Monza I caught myself sticking out my middle finger while finally overtaking that "bastard"...LOL and I was wondering why he did not even turn his head towards me. Is he not taking it serious enough...? His manager should have a chat with him.

Chris
I agree! On my screen PC2 looks "okay" but somehow everything looks like made from plastic. A bit like driving through a playmobil world! And flickering/shimmering a lot.
I very much prefer AC graphics on my screen!
From what I heard AC is kinda blurry in VR whereas pc2 with it's lighting etc can score. Also the mirrors seem to be dynamic and not static. But you already got your own impression. :)
I didn't :speechless::p

AC can be anything with different settings. I have personally played around with that for the past 6 weeks. There are two settings that take away blurriness and make a track look as good as with PC2. One with shadows and Supersampling, the other one with GBW-PPFilter, no shadows and low SS. The out of the box graphics are better in PC2 than in AC but that does not need to be accepted.

I admit I have not put that much effort into PC2 graphics or AC graphics.
I usually wait for some gem of information from one of racedepartment's many
Contributors, which if it makes sense to me, then I apply it.:)

But is it just me or does anyone else agree that PC2 graphics are noticeably better that AC :thumbsup:
until the car moves, then AC is better (excluding the static car interior):thumbsdown:

I guess a lot of people will agree that PC2 graphics are better and you are right, especially before the car moves. It has been developed years after AC so I think it should be better in that sense. But you know, people play Minecraft night and day and boy - have they pimped the graphics...

I don´t get the "wow" with pCARS 2 graphics, while I drive it a lot, is only good when you are driving. I really, really hate the huge blur in trackside view that I don´t have any way to disable it. AC looks so better in replays in my opinion. Comparing apples to apples (day time with no weather), AC with the correct PP effect is king, and more, if you put " AA SAMPLES " to 8 in your config file.

All of this is very interesting. (but not easy to follow)
As I built my new PC recently, I am of course looking at the configuration for the best possible graphics with assetto corsa. I am not limited with fps. I am lucky to have the choice with almost any configuration of AA, but there is so much various comment on the web that I am a little lost.
(I7-8700K + GTX 1070Ti)

So far I am only sure of one thing ; SGSSAA is the best for assetto corsa, but also for other games as Grand prix legends etc.. . (best fences ever !)
But even if I can put 8x SGSSAA, I am not sure it looks really better as with 2x or 4x ? should I stay with 4x as the "best" compromise ? (don't need to use what is not necessary !)

I also found in various website that SGSSAA works only with MSAA in the same amount together.
Should I apply only MSAA antialiasing type in Nvidia inspector, or may I apply some other touch of AA type ?? (or nothing else !)
4x SGSSAA + 4X MSAA for example, or just 4x SGSSAA ?

Should I then also apply AA=4 ingame or just in Nvidiainspector ??

I also read things on LOD bias, which should be corrected to compensate the light blurry effect introduced with SGSSAA. Is it really mandatory ?
LOD bias : -1 for 4x SGSSAA + 4X SGSSAA ????

To finish, what is about compatibility bit in Nvidia inpector.
Should this set at a value (which one ?) or just ignored ? The profil Assetto corsa which comes with Nvidia inspector has a value.

I would be very happy to have some answers on that. Many thanks in advanced

All of this is very interesting. (but not easy to follow)
As I built my new PC recently, I am of course looking at the configuration for the best possible graphics with assetto corsa. I am not limited with fps. I am lucky to have the choice with almost any configuration of AA, but there is so much various comment on the web that I am a little lost.
(I7-8700K + GTX 1070Ti)

So far I am only sure of one thing ; SGSSAA is the best for assetto corsa, but also for other games as Grand prix legends etc.. . (best fences ever !)
But even if I can put 8x SGSSAA, I am not sure it looks really better as with 2x or 4x ? should I stay with 4x as the "best" compromise ? (don't need to use what is not necessary !)

I also found in various website that SGSSAA works only with MSAA in the same amount together.
Should I apply only MSAA antialiasing type in Nvidia inspector, or may I apply some other touch of AA type ?? (or nothing else !)
4x SGSSAA + 4X MSAA for example, or just 4x SGSSAA ?

Should I then also apply AA=4 ingame or just in Nvidiainspector ??

I also read things on LOD bias, which should be corrected to compensate the light blurry effect introduced with SGSSAA. Is it really mandatory ?
LOD bias : -1 for 4x SGSSAA + 4X SGSSAA ????

To finish, what is about compatibility bit in Nvidia inpector.
Should this set at a value (which one ?) or just ignored ? The profil Assetto corsa which comes with Nvidia inspector has a value.

I would be very happy to have some answers on that. Many thanks in advanced

I'm very happy with my settings shown in the screenshot in post #7.
No need for any compatibility bit changes in NVidia Inspector. Just use the drop-down box to find Assetto Corsa - then modify it as shown in my post:
Nvidia Profile Inspector needs to be set to Enhance the application setting - not Override
MSAA set in Assetto Corsa
SGSSAA set in NVidia Inspector

I'd also read that MSAA and SGSSAA must match, but I later read that it works with MSAA equal to or higher than SGSSAA e.g.
MSAA 4x SGSSAA 2x

I like 4x 4x because it cures flickering shadows. My monitor resolution is 2,560 x 1,440.

I haven't tried changing LOD bias - I'll try it. Thanks for the info.

Thanks.
I will adopt your setting.
I have seen that in content mamager the AA is MSAA type, but not designated so in Assetto corsa itself.

For the LOD bias, I don't know.
It is a parameter that I have used in Grand prix legends at that time, .
I found some explanation here, but I can absolutely not confirm myself !!!
https://naturalviolence.webs.com/sgssaa.htm

Regarding the compatibility bit, i may have found here a begin of explanation.
SGSSAA tends to blurry the image a little. Use of compatibility bit may brings back a sharp image (?)
https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/3hdhsj/nvidia_sparse_grid_ssaa_is_insane/
In this case is the LOD maybe not useful ?
In your config on post #4, you have this compatibility bit (Anti aliasing - behavior flag) ??

I don't see personally any better graphics with 8xSGSSAA + 8x MSAA in comparison with 4x.
I will stay at 4x myself.

It is very new for me, but I really think that the G-sync on my new monitor is a killing feature.
The game is incredibly fluid (I have about 120 fps on a Gsync monitor @ 144hz). No stutter, no flickering, just like driving a real car (I mean fluidity)

Last edited:
Thanks.
Regarding the compatibility bit, i may have found here a begin of explanation.
SGSSAA tends to blurry the image a little. Use of compatibility bit may brings back a sharp image (?)
https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/3hdhsj/nvidia_sparse_grid_ssaa_is_insane/
In this case is the LOD maybe not useful ?
In your config on post #4, you have this compatibility bit (Anti aliasing - behavior flag) ??

Thanks for the link on compatibility bits.
I'd forgotten that there is a compatibility bit set in my screenshot (post #7). It is set automatically when I choose Assetto Corsa in the drop-down.

Glad you're pleased with your new Gsync monitor. One of the best bits of computer kit I've ever bought!!!

I am not 100% about this "compatibilitybit" things.
I have read again the links and I have seen that it may be something else.

When we select assetto corsa profuil, there is indeed something in "Antialising - Behavior flag".
But in the link, they are talking about "Nvidia - Compatibility ", which is something different.
https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/nvidia-compatibility-bits-master-thread-and-iq-guide.392715/

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...XoEfDuaDiiP--H4BJ-U/edit?pli=1#gid=1911323755
(Here they just say to enhance ingame MSAA with SGSSAA ;) ; no value for compatibility bit => probably not necessary, or it would have been included in the nvidia inspector profil)

Unfortunately, I have no idea what should/could be the value for Assetto corsa

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back