End of "graphics card era"?

• Deleted member 197115

Physical media is a dying breed.
Books, CDs, BD/DVDs
Most new PC cases don't even have slot for CD drive.
Why Netflix is fine and this is not?

We are moving to services across the board.

I used to have an ipod for store music that I purchased.
I have ripped all my CD's to FLAC files and have a media server.

However I use Spotify and BT to devices more often than not. I no longer own the music, just the right to access it.

Physical media is a dying breed.
Books, CDs, BD/DVDs
Most new PC cases don't even have slot for CD drive.
Why Netflix is fine and this is not?

Hm, did you check the video posted in this thread few pages backwards here? The guy measured the response to a mouse click using a number of these cloud gaming services and he ended up with something around 100 milliseconds of input lag on average, meanwhile he got 25 ms for his local PC.

Unless there is some magic improvement upcoming that I'm not aware of, these kind of services will be unfit for sim racing, at least for any serious esports level racing. In the esports scene people are obsessed with running 100+ FPS with 144 Hz or at least 120 Hz monitors, yet the frame lag difference between 144 and 120 Hz is only 1.5 milliseconds and even the difference between 120 and 60 Hz is just 8 milliseconds. All this is insignificant in order of magnitude compared to the lag that gaming on these online services would add.

• Deleted member 197115

Not sure what response time has to do with my reply, did you quote the wrong guy?
Yes, response time will be a challenge for twitch shooters, but over time will be solved one way or another.

Not sure what response time has to do with my reply, did you quote the wrong guy?
Yes, response time will be a challenge for twitch shooters, but over time will be solved one way or another.

You asked why Netflix is fine and cloud gaming isn't, I just provided the simple answer, which is latency. There are some factors that can be improved, but those improvements would essentially require rebuilding the local network infrastructure all over the world, which isn't solved by any one company alone. And then there is the encoding part, which adds cumulative lag on top of the network lag. Even if you manage to minimize all of this, whatever solution is provided will always be limited by the speed of light. Even Nvidia boss has admitted there is no solution for this and none upcoming unless you manage to turn physics on its head.

• Deleted member 197115

Well, guess Google, MS, and Sony know physics better than us, internet know it all bunch.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 30 24.2%
  • More leagues

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • Prizes

Votes: 22 17.7%
  • Trophies

Votes: 13 10.5%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 7 5.6%