Elementary school shooting in Connecticut, U.S.A.

It doesn't help that just about anyone in America can run down to their local gun store or in some cases the 'big-box' sporting goods section and buy a gun.
A two week wait for the 'shoddy, half-assed background check is just not good enough.
Gun ownership should start with a proper mental evaluation and a gun handling course so as not to have them fall into the wrong hands.
I worked with a guy a few years back who clearly had issues.
He was diagnosed bipolar and had OCD as well and yet....he owned every new Glock and HK. All legally purchased. He should not have been allowed to own one single gun...not one.
That would not have helped in this case. This was about pure evil.

Prayers for those lost and injured. That being said the whole situation is starting to reek. New details are coming to light and the official story is starting to warp. Examples:

"News reports Friday suggested that Nancy Lanza had worked at the elementary school, but at a news conference Saturday, the school superintendent said there was no evidence that she had ever worked at the school as a full-time or substitute teacher, or in any other capacity."

Read more: Nancy Lanza, mother of Conn. school gunman never worked at the school:
The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/breakingn...lanza-mother-conn-school-gunman#ixzz2FDrVHHoM

Also reports of second gunman caught in the woods behind the school. Also something to do with his father, can't rember atm but I'll post links when I find them again.

As long as the continue to force people into no weapon zones, they have to expect this. If you put a sign outside your shop that says "everyone entering this establishment must carry at least 100$ cash." guess which store is more likely to get robbed? Why advertise the fact you have dozens of people corralled together in a place where they're not allowed to carry any protection?

I wish there would be very strict gun laws and I don't mean taking guns away because that will procreate more guns.
I disagree about this, banning guns is not the same as banning Alcohol or similar.
Uzi´s are not made in Harlem and they can not be made in your backyard.
Alcohol can though,

USA has had 123 school shootings since 1927,
300 million / 123 shootings / 85 years / 1,4 shootings per year.

Europe has had 20 school shootings since 1913,
739 million / 20 shootings / 99 years / 0,2 shootings per year.

This is a major problem. And it´s just counting school shootings.

USA even has it´s own Wikipedia page for school shootings. That´s insane.

It's a gun focused culture. You can't ban it, YOU'LL BE DENYING THEIR 2ND AMENDMENT RIGHTS!1!!
300 year gaol penalties, and still nobody cares. They did it wrong.

Since there's what, 300 something million people there, and 15 guns per person, I'm amazed that there aren't any more attention seeking psychos.

Its a bit hypocrite. When such tragedies happen the internet and old media are flooded with reasons why this all happened.

But when it comes to decision making about gun laws or voting its that second amendment right thing again. Dates back from 4000 b.c.?

It doesn't help that you can buy guns without papers almost, but still....

I live in Canada, Quebec. I can go to Montreal (Where most gangs are) and get myself a AK-47 with like 2-3 mags for 300$.

Ban on weapons or not, it's **** easy to get a gun, just ask the right people.

The problem is mankind itself, it'll always be. Ban religion, ban politics, ban money, whatever, we'll always find reasons to kill eachother.

That´s the problem though "just ask the right people"
Same goes in Sweden but it also means about 1% of the population can actually "ask the right people".

In USA you go to the store next to the liqour store and buy a gun wait 1-2 days and you are good to go, doesn´t matter if it´s legal or illegal as you probably don´t have in your plans to stay alive after you have assasinated school kids.

Again, look at my stats above. They tell the story. A pretty clear one at that.

To say that banning guns would prevent this kind of tragedy is a gross oversimplification. As William Levesque says, you can still get firearms and explosives regardless of the restrictions placed on their availability.
This should be approached as a multifaceted problem ; the atrocity in Newtown exposes the weakness in our mental health system ( I know this from personal experience with a family member). There has also been a desensitizing effect because violence is glorified in our movies, music and video games. If those issues aren't addressed, then any restrictions on firearms are meaningless.
I personally support my 2nd. Amendment rights to bear arms even though I don't currently own any firearms.

To say that banning guns would prevent this kind of tragedy is a gross oversimplification.
Wrong.

Look anywhere else in the world and compare it to the US.
You have the most free gunlaws on the planet and you have the most school shootings BY FAR on the planet.

It has nothing to do with games, videos, movies that contain violence.
This is called ignoring the problem.

Take 6 minutes and watch this video. This is what happened in Australia when they took their guns away.

Some stats shown about 1:30 in:

Armed robaries up 69%

Assaults with guns up 28%

Gun murders up 19%

That's Austrailia, the U.S. would be much worse if we got to that point.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one."
-Thomas Jefferson

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • More leagues

Votes: 41 19.5%
  • Prizes

Votes: 43 20.5%
  • Trophies

Votes: 24 11.4%
  • Forum trophies