Electric Cars - The Future of Consumer Motoring?

Since it appears that there will be electric cars running on quickly replaceable recyclable power cells rather than a rechargeables, that will mean some electric cars will be very cheap. I'm still hoping for the perfect compromise. A plugin electric that has about 100 miles range which is all most people need and helps keep the cost down, and then have a slot for these recyclable fuel cells when you need to take a trip that you can easily replace in "90 seconds" if what they say is true and just get them as you go like you do gas.

Then there is no range anxiety since you can pick up power as you go quickly, but you can start off with a full charge on a smaller cheaper battery every morning with plenty for a commute and errands.

just a heads up guys... i parked at my local petrol station in the electric charge bay whilst i nipped in for a **** coffee. the bays are never used (theres two) anyway managed to pick up an 80 quid parking charge or 40 if i pay in 14 days, ye its my fault and when i went back there is a sign up and an anpr camera. think my point is that theres nobody using them at the moment so the company is making more from the fines :O_o:

just a heads up guys... i parked at my local petrol station in the electric charge bay whilst i nipped in for a **** coffee. the bays are never used (theres two) anyway managed to pick up an 80 quid parking charge or 40 if i pay in 14 days, ye its my fault and when i went back there is a sign up and an anpr camera. think my point is that theres nobody using them at the moment so the company is making more from the fines :O_o:
That sounds crazy? Where you supposed to pay for the parking sport and the charging?

That sounds crazy? Where you supposed to pay for the parking sport and the charging?
i honestly dont know, i think the garage is going to pull some strings for me and get let me off, but we'll see. ive been going in for ages which is what annoyed me.

I started responding directly to several posts, but I'm not going to bother. I'll just leave a few things here, with the caveat that I, too, love driving, I love motorsport, I love the sound of a good ICE, etc etc. These points here are all fact.

- Many, many studies have been done comparing the environmental footprint of ICEs with electrics. Overall, an 'average' electric car takes about 4-6 years to break even with an 'average' ICE, environmentally speaking, when driven an 'average' yearly distance in a US state with a dirty electrical grid (read: coal powered). After that they're more environmentally friendly than ICEs. It's not the margin the gung-ho electric advocates would have you believe, but it's there, it's real and it's substantial enough to warrant. This rough figure includes all mining of raw heavy metals for batteries; it includes everything in the production of the vehicle plus the running of said vehicle for the timespan. This is what the evidence says. Anyone who thinks differently is simply denying the facts (read: your "opnion" is, in fact, wrong. Yes, opinions can be wrong)
- Everyone making statements based on electric's future from the standpoint of an enthusiast is completely missing the point: We enthusiasts are a small minority. That's why the manual transmission is dying. That's why sports car are almost all dead. The only reason supercars are enjoying life right now is because of the super-rich who don't know/care about actual performance but want a statement piece - they basically never properly use those cars, even on track days they get driven at 5/10s. Enthusiasts mean essentially nothing in the greater automotive market, so your "opinion" that we will be the death knell of electrics is farcical at best. We do not matter to the companies' bottom line, period.
- Range anxiety is stupid for the vast majority of people. Most people drive less than 100 miles a day. The only "issue" with current electric cars in this vein becomes road trips; for which there are many other options. If you had an electric car, the money you save in powering it (and maintenance!) could probably pay for a rental with cash to spare.
- In the Western World Electric cars are only more expensive if you consider the vehicle cost in isolation. Factor in running costs and they are cheaper. This can change in areas with limited access to electricity, obviously, or less developed nations, but for the majority of people using this forum that is not a problem; if your electricity was that expensive you wouldn't spend time playing racing sims. Unit for unit, electricity is more expensive than gasoline (in most of the world, anyways), but electric cars are exponentially more efficient than ICEs and therefore require vastly lower amounts of potential energy to be input, giving you a massive savings in powering the vehicle. This is fact, as well, confirmed by numerous studies.
- Carbon-neutral fuels for ICEs exist. The company has received funding from Chevron and other oil companies, too, and is currently trying to get to an industrial scale with its carbon recapture technology. I hope that soon turns into industrial-scale carbon recaptured fuel production available at the pump. Even if electric does completely take over, it'll still take decades for a full changeover in rolling stock on our roads, and this tech could eliminate ongoing emissions for ICEs in the meantime; and, bonus, it'll sound exactly the same as the dinosaur-based sludge we're using now for those that think cars still sound good.
- Climate change is not a problem to be solved (entirely, anyways) by technology. Electric cars are not going to save the planet, but they could help a bit. The real issue is over-consumption. We just demand too much. Regardless of the vehicle of choice. Same goes for hemp-based paper, or recycling, etc etc. Stop buying so much stuff, that's the best thing you can do. Absolutely do not go out and lease a car for two years and then switch to something else. Even if you go electric, you're still being a tool; environmentally speaking. There's a reason the phrase "reduce, reuse, recycle" is in the order it is.
- Tesla's terrible build quality is not a knock against electric cars, it's a knock against Tesla as a brand. It's their crappy quality control, it has nothing to do with it being an electric car. Oh yea, their paint finish is abysmal, too. My parking neighbor has a model 3 and at first I thought it had been spray-bombed it was so bad.
- On balance, the rare-Earth metals in batteries get compensated by the vastly more efficient nature of electric cars. But is there enough to go around? What will happen when electric cars, with these materials, become the norm? I haven't seen anything scientific addressing this point directly.

Now, driving experience from the perspective of an enthusiast. For the sake of argument here, I'm going to do a general "modern" to "modern" comparison. A classic car is a more desirable experience, bar none, from an enthusiast standpoint. 100% agree. But that's not a relevant comparison (and, frankly, serves to kill any performance-based argument really), for obvious reasons. So, comparing a modern electric to a modern ICE:
- Sound: The loss of the ICE rumble. Well, frankly, modern cars sound like crap. They do. Every single modern car produces a manicured exhaust note, and they all sound terrible. There, I said it. This is a moot argument.
- Performance: Electric offers 100% torque, all the time. Even a modest electric is quicker off the line than most ICEs. Loses a bit at higher speeds, but most of us can't get there, anyways, due to 'pansying out,' lack of straight roads and unwillingness to break the law that much. This doesn't bother me one bit since I like the twisty bits, anyways, and straight roads are boring as hell. In this situation, from a pure numbers-on-paper performance standpoint, electric wins. If you're highway blasting, sure, an ICE might be quicker sometimes, but that's so irrelevant, anyways. Straight lines are for people who can't drive.
- Transmission: A manual is arguably the most fun part of any fun car. Score one for the ICE - except, not really. The manual is a dying breed, so it won't be long before this is a moot point, too. Brings a tear to my eye, but it's true: see my previous point about us enthusiasts being a small minority.
- Weight: Score one for the ICE here. Apples to Apples, the ICE car will be lighter, probably. Who knows where battery tech will be in 15 years, but for now this is the case. I like lightness, as any self-respecting enthusiast should. I am a fan, after all, of the twisty bits.

Feel free to draw your own conclusion from that.

Honestly, for me? If Polestar made an all-electric version of a Subaru BRZ (meaning, rear-drive, the same size/proportion, as light as possible, and styled like a Polestar), that would be my next car. 100%. Probably won't happen, but that's what I want for a modern vehicle. In my dream garage, I'd park it right next to my 2017 Subaru BRZ and 1972 DeTomasso Pantera.

Point being: You can be a car enthusiast and like both options, and understand the advantages and drawbacks to both. It's not black and white.

Spitting mad truth there. What's coming is inevitable, and we are ancient as motoring aficionados. However if I'd go to electric I'd like the styling to be retro (E30, Lancia Delta, etc, or batshit crazy, Stratos, Countach, Birdcage etc) and I'd park it right next to my BMW E46 M3 Competition (catless, with OE Euro headers, and 100rwhp over stock, 8,400rpm raised redline)

I can't refute or propose counter arguments to what you've said. Partly because I'm of the same mindset, and also because truth.

12,000 lb towing rating that they say is only limited by the chassis because they didn't want to add any more weight to it. They look impressive and expensive based on current battery technology and the size of the batteries they are using which can go much larger than the ones Tesla uses. I "expected" Ford might come out of the gate in this segment. Maybe they still will.

Here in Iowa (and in much of the USA), you're describing cars that are literally coal powered. I realize performance is improving, and range has made some minor progress. But frankly, if I wanted a golf cart, I'd buy one.

Here in Iowa (and in much of the USA), you're describing cars that are literally coal powered. I realize performance is improving, and range has made some minor progress. But frankly, if I wanted a golf cart, I'd buy one.

Currently coal generates less than 20% of the power in Iowa.

The power utilities around the US have been converting from coal to Natural Gas pretty quickly including Iowa. There has been a MASSIVE transition from 2015 going forward. It just makes sense. We have massive natural gas reserves and it is much easier to deal with.

Iowa has been generating more power from Natural Gas than they do from Coal for a number of years now.
This graph shows where it was in 2017. Also notice that other renewables are already at 2/3 of where coal is.

1573301331069.png

This article says that Iowa customers will save more money if Iowa pulls out of coal completely and that Iowa has some of the lowest costs of wind development in the country.

"The study’s bottom line, according to Johannsen: “Every single one of the fossil-fuel generators was more expensive to own and operate than replacing them with market energy and capacity or new wind generation. For me, it was a striking analysis.”

If you read that quote, the take away is that using coal to generate power has become expensive compared to other sources of energy AND that Iowa power utilities need to transition away from coal to remain price competitive OR it will make more sense to import energy generated cheaper in surrounding states.

Last edited:

As per my previous post; even on a grid predominantly coal powered an average electric will break even with an average ICE in 5-6 years when driven an average distance per year. That's the worst case scenario.

This whole thing about Battery electric being worse for the environment is complete BS.

That 'Mustang' looks to be an interesting car.
It is the first time I've seen an EV shooting for an affordable price.
If they can get it to market at the estimated mid $30k price, then I think the sales will finally take off.
It also has quite a lot of nice features.
The next thing that is a limitation to EV is charging stations.
I think the hotel industry will need to get on-board as well.
Think about it....You are on a long road trip and the car needs to be charged to complete the final leg...
What are your options during over-night charging?
If you are at a remote charging station... How do you shuttle to and from those accommodations?
If hotels have charging, you simply pull in...hook up the car...go find your room for the night.
It is a whole other industry segment waiting to happen.

The hotel industry has started to get on board. Tesla calls that destination charging. It would have been nice if Tesla and Ford came to some arrangement to share, but Tesla has adapters and I'm sure Ford will offer them too.

Below is a map showing both super charging stations that are off major highways in red and destination charging stations in gray. Many of the destination charging stations are hotels.

The next thing that is a limitation to EV is charging stations.
I think the hotel industry will need to get on-board as well.
Think about it....You are on a long road trip and the car needs to be charged to complete the final leg...
What are your options during over-night charging?
That might be good for people driving across a continent like America but I don't think it would work in Europe. We already have cheap public transport, I can get a plane from Dublin to Barcelona for about €50 and be there in 3 hours. I have drove from Normandy down to the south east of Spain and it's damned expensive because of the tolls, the French and Spanish are racking it in. I think one of the tolls I paid was over €20. I'd say it cost over €200 just on tolls to drive across France and Spain. It's a great way to see the country but driving is expensive in Europe.

So Europeans don't do much long haul driving. It's not cost effective before you go anywhere near fuel prices.

I live in Ireland which is a small island. The longest drive from north to south would probably take about 5 and a half hours, max. East to west is 3 hours max. So spending more than 30 minutes fuelling my car would add significant time onto any journey. Irish people aren't good at planing things so we need an option that allows us to be late and in a rush.

The more I think about it, I think electrics can't take off until there's a standard swapable battery pack. It's faster but it's also going to be environmentally better if a company can maintain batteries rather than let them be used to death and dumped. Cars with integral battery packs are going to be worthless in a few years.

The more I think about it, I think electrics can't take off until there's a standard swapable battery pack. It's faster but it's also going to be environmentally better if a company can maintain batteries rather than let them be used to death and dumped. Cars with integral battery packs are going to be worthless in a few years.

Did you see the post earlier about how in the UK they are putting into production a recyclable aluminum and non-toxic liquid fuel cell that are supposed to take 90 seconds to replace and will be available at grocery stores according to the article. Drop off your old cell(s) and pop in a new one and continue on your merry way. Pricing was supposed to be similar to current fuel prices in the UK per mile.

These should be available in the near future. Ideally electric cars would have a small battery for getting around town and then allow these very quickly replaceable cells for trips. Only time will tell.

These should be available in the near future. Ideally electric cars would have a small battery for getting around town and then allow these very quickly replaceable cells for trips. Only time will tell.
But the manufacturers have to agree on a system. It needs to be standardised or we'll end up paying manufacturer premiums. They would be more than happy to make their cars disposable so we have to buy a new one every time.

But the manufacturers have to agree on a system. It needs to be standardised or we'll end up paying manufacturer premiums. They would be more than happy to make their cars disposable so we have to buy a new one every time.

Surprisingly I think they said they would convert ICE cars over to use these new cells in the UK for about 3-4,000 pounds. I'm not sure how well that will work, but they are planning to go big with it and I can only assume create a standard. My guess is that they will license their manufacturing techniques to help make this go very big.

I can only assume create a standard. My guess is that they will license their manufacturing techniques to help make this go very big.
To create a standard somewhere like the EU or US has to force it. Then the big players may be under enough pressure to buy out a smaller company that's further along. Mercedes has already pumped a lot of research into electrics and would probably prefer to do things their way.

I've seen the best product get side lined because big players could just ignore it. They won't necessarily jump on a product because its' the best, it has to be beneficial to them. They need to be forced into action as we did by bringing in taxes on emissions or bringing in fines for not having a standardised way of doing something.

Big companies aren't going to do the right thing out of the kindness of their hearts, if the US or the EU don't step in and force them they'll just compete with each other for dominance in the market.

Is electric car really environmentally friendly? Is electricity really clean? Electricity itself does not create a greenhouse effect. But what about the process of generating electricity? We have to reconsider the process of generating electricity now and in the future. The amount of electricity we are using comes from: burning fossil fuels, hydroelectric power, wind power ... many ways to collect electricity, and all these processes produce a certain amount of CO2...
I learned that, the process of producing an electric car generates 15% more CO2 than the process of producing an gasoline car. There are many reasons, mainly due to the materials and processes that make up the battery pack, and more closely, the reason is that the production line makes gasoline cars more efficient.

Last edited:
It does take a few years before the electric car comes ahead, right now.

So if a new ICE car and a new electric car are totaled within 4-5 years, the ICE car ends up cleaner. However with most people keeping cars longer they do come out ahead. I've had my car purchased new for 8 years now and my wife's car purchased new is now over 10 years old. Both of them would have come ahead a long time ago.

As you said most of this has to do with the battery and battery technology is changing with a number of new technologies racing to get to manufacturing that are much nicer to the environment.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back