DTM | Audi Secure IndyCar Star

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
The Audi Sport entry in 2020's DTM series has been bolstered by the signing of IndyCar star Ed Jones for next season.

With the DTM 'Young Driver' test having taken place in Spain this week, Audi Sport team WRT have confirmed an all new line-up for their new DTM programme, with current drivers Pietro Fittipaldi and Jonathan Aberdein making way for new signing Jones, and former Formula 3 racer Fabio Scherer.

Jones has long been considered an up and coming star of the American open wheel scene - having taken the competitive Indy Lights championship crown on his third time of asking back in 2016, before competing in IndyCar racing for the past three years with Dale Coyne Racing, Ganassi Racing and Ed Carpenter Racing.

WRT Audi DTM 2.jpg

Jones had made a strong impression on the IndyCar paddock during his three-year stay in the series, securing three podium finishes and a best result of 13th overall in the drivers standings while racing at the top level of US open wheel motorsport.

Finding himself without a drive heading into 2020, Jones has elected to make the switch to European competition for the coming year, swapping IndyCar for a tin top in what will be his debut season in a closed cockpit racing car;

"I am excited to get going, with such a great team around me. Audi has won the title last year, WRT has done a great maiden season, and now the objective is to be on the podium, and if everything goes well, to go for a win" said Jones of his new deal.​

"I know it is going to be tough, but we have everything to grow and perform well.”

Partnering the 24-year-old driver in the WRT Audi next season will be surprise signing Fabiio Scherer. The little known Swiss driver has endured a difficult few years in open wheel racing these past few years, having failed to make his mark in F3 racing with just a single podium finish to his name back in the FIA Formula 3 European Championship back in 2018.

WRT Audi DTM 1.jpg

With little in the way of success to his name, it is perhaps surprising that Audi have elected to go with the youngster next season, especially considering the high regard Aberdein is held within the halls of the Ingolstadt marque.

"It’s a real pleasure to join WRT Team Audi Sport for the 2020 DTM. Morevover, it’s a dream come true as I don’t think there is anything higher than DTM! It’s amazing to have this possibility and I thank you everybody who made it possible. I really look forward to 2020, I am really excited and I think we can achieve a lot.” added Scherer of the announcement.​
WRT Audi DTM 3.jpg

Last edited:

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
The kid is young and enjoyed a stellar junior career in the US, although never quite maximised his potential in IndyCar that's for sure. I still think, although cool for DTM, its a shame he didn't get the chance to stay around in Indy with the same team for two consecutive seasons! I think he was potentially a front runner, but never quite managed to put it together properly.

Suppose as a youngster making a name for himself, running with someone like Ganassi is a big pressure, and switching between teams each year makes it even harder still.

IndyCar needs a steady stream of new talent (although plenty of younger drivers are coming through), so its a shame to lose him from the series, but exciting to see what he can do in DTM.

The kid is young and enjoyed a stellar junior career in the US, although never quite maximised his potential in IndyCar that's for sure. I still think, although cool for DTM, its a shame he didn't get the chance to stay around in Indy with the same team for two consecutive seasons! I think he was potentially a front runner, but never quite managed to put it together properly.

Suppose as a youngster making a name for himself, running with someone like Ganassi is a big pressure, and switching between teams each year makes it even harder still.

IndyCar needs a steady stream of new talent (although plenty of younger drivers are coming through), so its a shame to lose him from the series, but exciting to see what he can do in DTM.
Yeah, I totally agree with the swap to DTM being good - I love it when drivers swap series (especially between US & Euro based series) because it gives a great barometer of where the various drivers and series stack up.

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 90 19.0%
  • €151-500

Votes: 125 26.4%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 81 17.1%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 42 8.9%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 48 10.1%
  • €3001-5000