Cars DRM Revival [Deleted]

Status
Not open for further replies.
More like 110% to 50%, and yes, visuals are about 50% or more of the whole experience, plus we're talking about 3 years of work which is not reflected on a lot of rushed details like these lower res cars and others already mentioned here.
I can cry an ocean if I want to, is only fair after they created so much expectation about this and in the end turns out it was not what a lot of us hoped it would be.
I do not own the mod but all the vids I have seen the driver model is out dated the over all graphics are out dated and so on sorry guys love the attempt but you really have to up your game to todays standards to make a opportunity to the even challenge the other modder (paid and free)

OK, as I'm not going to have time to drive them all tonight and give a conclusion, I'll just post my thoughts for each car as and when they're fresh in my mind. I'm using a G25 in a seat / frame with TH8A shifter and Oculus CV1 with the headphones.

So the first car I picked was the Marod Aero. I picked Magione for some reason as I know the circuit well, the long right hander after the straight is always fun and I expected wrestling the car out of the low speed corners would be a bit interesting... I spent about 35 minutes driving it, probably about 25 laps.

Firstly the sound. On throttle it seems like there's almost a sort of additional 'white noise' added above about 4 or 5k rpm, it can almost be hard to distinguish the engine note. The noise reflected off walls sounds excellent and blends very well. The car has a very satisfying off throttle sound, both the engine and also the exhaust pops (which actually sound automotive instead of like popcorn as per some of the Kunos cars...)

The various ambient sounds, turbo, chassis etc. are also very nicely balanced. There's just something about the engine note that almost seems masked by the sheer volume, certainly after half an hour at max volume my ears know what's just happened to them! That element is fairly realistic though, they aren't exactly muted vehicles...

Other cars sounded good driving past etc, possibly some a bit loud when in different bits of the track, but that could well be a game issue, I've not paid enough attention at other times to really say.

Secondly the handling, let's say physics / FFB all as one. Cold brakes and tyres are noticeable, but warm up quickly. I'm not sure I've noticed cold brakes before, but I like that it's there :)

I found the FFB strength about as expected, you can feel the increased grip once the tyres are warm through the FFB, and the movement of the rear is communicated through the wheel as clearly as always. I can't say I noticed the transition from the front end gripping then in to understeer, feedback relating to the front end perhaps feels a little vague or imprecise, but then I don't often drive 'race cars' on slicks, so perhaps I'm just used to a different sort of feedback from street tyres. The car feels alive under hard braking which I really enjoyed.

Physics is obviously very subjective as I've never even driven a car on slicks in real life, let alone a group 5 monster. I would say 'monster' perhaps didn't come across considering it's 500+bhp and so light, it's obviously a bit of a handful in first but as 2nd is so long it's pretty planted beyond that. The grip level feels very good, once the tyres are warm there's no understeer at all at most speeds, and there's a beautiful sweet spot of slight oversteer that can be balanced with the throttle that is very satisfying whilst you manage that turbo spool hoping it doesn't spit you off!

Ultimately I've not driven a real one to compare it to, but for me it handles as I'd expect, maybe a little 'tamer' than the reputation that precedes it (yes at 100% boost) but it feels like there is depth to the handling and something that can be learnt and mastered with practice.

The 3D model seems very good to me, certainly the interior is more than acceptable in VR whilst driving. For reference I drive with the wheel on but the driver off, so I've no idea if the driver model has big feet that clip through the pedals or anything like that! I'd say the 3D model is of the least importance to me from an enjoyment perspective, so I am never going to be an overly harsh critic in this area.

A big reason for picking this car first was I also have a free mod version (at least updated by Velos mods). I'd say of the two, I think I prefer the Velos version for the on throttle engine sound and the slightly 'wilder' feeling. If this was a mod car in and of itself for say €1.50 with no other content, I would stick with the Velos one as it's free and provides my 'lairy Zakspeed' fix.

As it stands, knowing that this is part of a balanced grid of cars means it's a much more attractive prospect to race with. Whilst free mods are often quite fun in isolation, as there are no standards whatsoever building a grid to race can be a lot of trial and error.

I shall move on to another car and report back again :)

I don't know if I shall be labelled a shill now, but if it helps gain any trust I don't think this car is up to RSS' standards. Which frankly are higher than Kunos' standards I suppose. Maybe I'm an RSS shill?! ;)

A quick test with the Carma FF at historic Monza on default setup and 100% turbo boost.
Mod edit: please post the vids in the video gallery

The car is very nice to drive, the FFB is sharp and responsive, compared to the nearest Kunos car, the Moby Dick, the car has much more front end grip and it's a lot easier to handle on throttle (the 935/78 is quite brutal when it kicks the high turbo pressure)

Last edited by a moderator:
I found a little bug but haven't read the whole thread, so if this has been reported already please disregard :)

In the Porsche K3, the shift light doesn't light up correctly, only a ring around the bulb lights up. Other than that it works very well.

Another thing: Are the two versions of the Celica different in terms or aero physics wise or is it just visual?

So then it took one week to make a quality car, now it takes full time month and more than that of work for a highly skilled modeler, then there are also sounds and physics which are also being pushed to next levels.

I miss the times when modder do it for hobby, and for their fun.
Anything without "[PAID]" fits the bill, should be enough to keep you going for a while:

http://www.racedepartment.com/forums/assetto-corsa-mods.36/

UtDeCKe.png

Oh noooo! There goes my weekend. I loved the DRM series in GSCE. I hope this one is as good or better. Can't wait to get off work to give a go. :thumbsup:

Guys, FYI...This is not right!!!
It is as right as any other piracy (which is not right of course) but people can't do anything about it, companies can't do anything about it, much less could modders do. So people has to live with it and modders know, even if they charge 1 dollar or 100 it is gonna be shared freely somewere.

Maybe a better solution would have been steam workshop but we'll have to wait until AC2

Well, next up was a (now Martini liveried) Lardo. I thought I'd stick to the same track as before to get a better feel for the differences between the, erm, whatever, the Capri, and the Lancia.

First up, the sound. Sat in the pit, revved up in neutral and there's a weird delay with the revs. Floor the throttle from idle, and the needle hits the limiter whilst the sound is still building up at around 5k rpm or so it sounds like.

It's a very strange sensation and not something I've ever seen before. It's as if there's a big flywheel spinning up in the background that's making the engine sound. I checked with the onscreen tacho and it does appear to be the sound. I was a bit concerned at this point, but actually once racing it's largely unnoticeable, it does make it feel a bit like you're trying to heel and toe a big turbo diesel or something that takes a while to build up the revs, but it doesn't detract from the overall experience once moving.

Aside from that slightly odd effect, the actual sound itself is great, quieter than the Capri, but the turbo noises are a delight, the backfire also excellent, it's actually a treat for the ears and it sounds vicious from the outside bouncing off the walls, albeit quieter in comparison to the interior sound.

Physics / handling / FFB wise, it's more controllable over the limit than the Capri, it feels as if there's more lock to play with, and under braking it is a lot more planted. The handling on throttle is absolutely mesmerising, I love it, and the front end darts in without inducing oversteer making it a really trustworthy car to push, even when you boot it exiting a corner.

The FFB gives you all the information you need, lock ups at the front and rear are clearly telegraphed through the wheel, it's very controllable during oversteer and the front end just grips and grips. The amount of grip once you're in the groove with this car is an absolute joy, and this is from someone who normally prefers the adjustability of road cars, this thing has that too, just with way more grip and speed.

The interior model looks perfectly good to me, the mirrors are quite far back so require a proper head turn to see, but I assume they're where they're supposed to be. The gearstick moves to each of the correct gear positions which is a nice touch :) The shift light is a bit ungainly, but I couldn't care less, this car is an absolute gem, I'd happily pay €3 for this car alone even if there was no other content to race it against.

One thing I did notice, the cars with fairly open rear ends, the change from LOD A to LOD B is quite jarring, I suspect it was made worse by the track / time of day, as the back straight seems to head directly away from the low sun, but you end up with the dark open rear suddenly changing to a shiny reflective slab, I don't know whether something could be done to make the LOD B rear elements darker / less reflective to ease that transition? I only mention it as it's actually the first time I can remember ever actually noticing a LOD change.

People who have complaints, don't you think that you should point out specific things rather than abstract bits of information which not only isn't useful, but is misleading and confusing in many ways.

I'll try to generate mine later, and have them clear. However, I don't care if those wouldn't get adressed, as there are more perfect cars in the pack already than I can physically enjoy for well deserved amount.

First up, the sound. Sat in the pit, revved up in neutral and there's a weird delay with the revs. Floor the throttle from idle, and the needle hits the limiter whilst the sound is still building up at around 5k rpm or so it sounds like.

It's a very strange sensation and not something I've ever seen before. It's as if there's a big flywheel spinning up in the background that's making the engine sound. I checked with the onscreen tacho and it does appear to be the sound. I was a bit concerned at this point, but actually once racing it's largely unnoticeable, it does make it feel a bit like you're trying to heel and toe a big turbo diesel or something that takes a while to build up the revs, but it doesn't detract from the overall experience once moving.

Sounds like increased Seek Speed to me. Basically artificial inertia for the sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 39 12.9%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 41 13.6%
  • Thursday

Votes: 38 12.6%
  • Friday

Votes: 105 34.8%
  • Saturday

Votes: 175 57.9%