Driving technique - advice needed

Hi Guys,

I could finally beat the Stig's time at Imola but I'm still not satisfied with my driving style. I think I really tortured the car and probably used up my front tyres completely. Would you please take a look at the video and give me some advise? I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks in advance!

(Sorry for no audio and low res)

Two things I find help in a number of sims and situations are;

1, When braking, leave your foot slightly on the throttle, only maybe 10-20%, but it really helps with avoiding locking the rear wheels (assuming its a RWD car).

2, When applying the throttle out of a corner, try to get on the throttle a little before the apex, and be progressive. You need to load up the rear axle before you nail the throttle to get out of the corner.
1. Nope, terrible habit to have.

2. Depends on the corner and car, you can't make an universal statement like that on something that varies as much.

1. Agreed with William. Once brake heat/damage is in AC, you will be nowhere and you'll have to relearn to drive. Your brakes will get WAY too hot. Also, if you happen to take over this habit in a real car, things are going to get messy if your brake starts fading more and more...

2. Generally, be progressive, but sometimes it's functional to be more abrupt on the throttle. Loading the rear can generate understeer as well due to the weight transfer, thereby missing the apex if you do it too soon.

sneaky sneaky ... you edited your post clever Mr. Cunha :roflmao:

won't make a good picture of you, but if thats what you want, be my guest!

teaches me to quote everything :rolleyes:

besides you're still wrong... braking has to be done progressively and not "hard" without locking them

I brake hard when needed and still i'm much faster than the video:) about 9 seconds faster:)

ps: I can edit whatever i want,i have no secrets...

1. Agreed with William. Once brake heat/damage is in AC, you will be nowhere and you'll have to relearn to drive. Your brakes will get WAY too hot. Also, if you happen to take over this habit in a real car, things are going to get messy if your brake starts fading more and more...

2. Generally, be progressive, but sometimes it's functional to be more abrupt on the throttle. Loading the rear can generate understeer as well due to the weight transfer, thereby missing the apex if you do it too soon.

worry not my friend, i can manage all that understeer! otherwise i would not deliver hotlaps.
but most of all you are missing a thing:
who cares about brakes condition when I'M DOING TIME TRIALS, NOT RACING!!!!!!;)

Emptybox does great videos on that difference hotlapper vs racer and it is an vastly different mentality, and how you race the two differently.

Really late breaking and massive understeer works every time but the time it does not then you lose the car and lose the race. racers look for smoothness and consistency, the safer bet is usually the better bet because bad bets wreck cars and put you in the dnf category far too often.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back