Doors Closing For Hulkenberg as Haas Confirm Drivers For 2020

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Hulkenberg Time Up 1.jpg

Is time running out for Nico Hulkenberg to extend his F1 stay? With Haas confirming Romain Grosjean and Kevin Magnussen, yet another door closes for the talented German.

Finding himself looking for another drive following Renault F1 electing to sign Esteban Ocon alongside Daniel Ricciardo next season, Nico Hulkenberg was excepted by many to be a shoe in for the second Haas seat... everyone apart from Haas it seems.

With the driver merry-go-round slowly winding to a halt, the best available drive in Formula One next season has been filled today, with Haas F1 confirming Romain Grosjean will extend his stay with the American team for a fifth consecutive season in 2020.

On his day, Grosjean can show blistering pace - but the last couple of years have been a trying time for the popular driver, with many believing the Frenchman would be moving away from Grand Prix racing at the conclusion of the current season. With highly rated Renault driver Nico Hulkenberg now on the market, and current driver Kevin Magnussen already confirmed at the squad next season, the pressure looked to be on for Grosjean to retain his seat - something that Haas have finally put to bed following confirmation of a new contract with the team earlier today.

With Haas now filled, very few options remain for 32-year-old Nico Hulkenberg to remain on the grid from next season, potentially ending the F1 career of one of the most promising drivers never to stand upon a Formula One podium.

With only seat at Williams and a potential chance in place of Antonio Giovinazzi at Sauber, do you think the time is up for Nico Hulkenberg, or does the German deserve another shot at Grand Prix racing?

Like what you see at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Heidfeld gets stick for never winning a race but at least he had a bunch of podium finishes. Not sure where it went wrong for Hulk and going back to Williams wont get him onto the podium in a hurry.

This is a shock to me. I think Hulk is looking for a multi year deal and Renault and Haas just wanted to offer a 1 year deal. He is too good to get left out? I really cant believe Haas didn't want to replace Roman?? I don't buy there reasoning they posted in the news. Maybe Haas isn't quite sure they will be in F1 much longer??

There is something fishy here.
Maybe Gene Haas loves Grosjean for some reason:roflmao:
Because Grosjean and Hulkenberg is on 2 different levels conserning driving skills;)
But OK they both cry on the radio: Kevin hitte me!
:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Last edited by a moderator:
Red Bull would be nice but I think that Albon has a stranglehold on that seat already. I don't see Alfa Romeo ditch a young driver like Giovinazzi at this point when the other driver is a 40 year old (Kimi). Toro Rosso is a Development Team for Red Bull so not a sensible place for a 31 year old driver. This leaves us with Williams. WIlliams is slowly trending in the right direction but there are not expected to jump back in the mid-to-upper midfield anytime soon.

If I was the Hulk, I would look for Blancpain GT, DTM or LMP1. F1 is not the only game in town.

Im no team manager but haas has really fallen off from year one and grojean was never a good driver to begin with (he barely beat maldonado). mag does nothing but piss people off. i really thought has was gonna do great this year. Now i doubt they will be competive in f1 period.

Does not look good for the Hulk in F1.:( Let’s hope he will still get a podium this year, because it will probably be his last chance on that.
Maybe his future will be in WEC? Would like to see him in the new Hypercar class and win another 24H of Le Mans.

So sad to see such a talented driver with so much experience still not getting a winning car. I appreciate Nico Hulkenberg and I think we all do ! I really wish him to get a F1 wheel for nextyear. And if he doesn't, I'm 100% sure he will go on another racing series, probably FE with Porsche.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back