Doors Closing For Hulkenberg as Haas Confirm Drivers For 2020

Like Stroll, Latifi brings sorely needed Canadian Dollars! :D
Nicolas' Dad, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Latifi, can afford to write some big checks if needed.
Poor Williams needs that.
Haha, the old Nordique logo. Love it. And yes, his pop has money and yes he has a 10% share of McLaren which makes it very odd that Nick is possibly on a path to Williams who do need the funding, I don't think he is a George Russell but he's got some decent driving skills and has done pretty well this season. I just don't see The Hulk going in that direction.
HOWEVER (this is a big however hence the caps). I think everyone is shying away from anything beyond a 1 year deal unless they really want a particular driver because no one seems sure yet what the 2021 rules and cars will be yet. Hulk, Alonzo and others may be waiting to see what the final car is to be and the possible competitiveness of the new cars. Hulk could go the FE route as well.

It blows my mind how Will Power, the fastest guy in Indycar (both qualy and races) probably since Montoya, never got that Haas seat when Haas first entered F1 (and never got any F1 ride or even test for that matter). I'm now also very surprised that Haas has chosen to keep Grosjean instead of replacing him with Nico Hulkenberg...very surprised indeed.

Last edited:
Considering that no team has won a race except the top three teams for about 6 + years now, its not surprizing he has not won a race yet or podium. Seems he needs to have a bit more sponsership money behind him to get a seat for next year. He will find a drive somewhere, probly just not F1 next year.

Deserves? I dunno, I think I'm getting old and overly philosophical...hard for me to answer.

Are there worse drivers on the grid? Absolutely. Has Hulkenberg ever really done anything to grab my attention? No, not really. It's not like he's clearly wringing every last bit of performance out of these mid field rides he's getting. He puts in some workmanlike efforts and seems to stay clear of trouble, but that isn't a lot of fun. He is basically Bottas minus the lucky Mercedes opportunity.

I think the harsh truth is you have to jettison these kinds of guys from the sport when you can. If everything were fair and on merit, there are a good number of guys I'd toss before Hulk...but if we clear out Hulk, that opens the opportunity to see someone with either truly special talent OR (perhaps even better from an entertainment perspective) the next Pastor Maldanado get a ride.

Seems like a genuinely nice guy but I'm not so sure he needs to be in F1 after this long without even a sniff of a podium.
He has made some unforced errors while in good positions...think Baku last year.
A whole bunch of points went in that one.

THIS IS JUST MY SPECULATION, I HAVE NO SOURCE FOR IT. READ AT OWN RISK ;):D

Williams might be an option, but going from a factory team to a "private" team with their worst season ever, with 2018 being second worst. For someone like Russel or Kubica the choice is easy, Williams or no F1. No F1 would be crazy from their view, it has been their goal ever since they started as kids in karting, and for Kubica not only since karting, but also since the rally accident. For Hulkenberg however, who has already made it to F1, driving F1 is no longer a goal. His F1-goal is to win/score a podium, but I don't think Williams will be able to create a car that is capable of that in the nearest coming years. I don't think Hulkenberg want to be stuck with such a team, and therefore rather go race another series, like Le Mans. He won in 2015, and with the new hypercar-regulations launching in 2021 he might go for that.

TL;DR: Hulkenberg wont race for Williams, he will either race for a win-capable team in F1 or not in F1 at all. I see Le Mans 2021 hypercars as a possible option.

With Kubica retiring I think Nico could step in as the accomplished/experienced driver that would be needed to push Williams harder to improve upon their car. 2020 is going to be a tough year to improve the car but having Nico helping out with development of the 2021 chassis would leave George to concentrate on honing his race craft.

Does Hulk deserves to stay in F1 next year? YES
Does F1 deserves that Hulk stays next year? NO (and he is not the only one they don't deserve to have)

I am a bit disappointed that we won't get Hulk-KMag duel, which would be great if nobody is favored (as this year "big smiley" is). But now I hope he goes to some other racing series. I mean guy is so "bad" that he went to LeMans ONCE, while there was still competition, and won. :roflmao:

I'm now also very surprised that Haas has chosen to keep Grosjean instead of replacing him with Nico Hulkenberg...very surprised indeed.
Perhaps because there has been no discussions with Haas. That's what Steiner said today.
I think that Geene Haas just agreed that Grosjean brought a lot to Haas, that's what Steiner said but i doubt it comes from his mouth. If Magnussen or Steiner have decided Grosjean would have been fired for sure. Magnussen is under contract till 2021.

By the way people should check numbers before comparing Hulkenberg and Grosjean.
The reason why Hulkenberg will not be there next year has a name and it's Ocon.

Last edited:
I started to think Haas will not be in 2021 grid... just a thought. :whistling:
This is my feeling as well. Unless there is a fast and dramatic turn around. The Haas group as a whole is well financed but not at the level to allow the non stop bleeding of money. The money coming in from all other Haas groups is just pouring out the F1 window. Not so sure their liking that. You can look as far down the F1 future you want .......do you see anything changing on the 1st 3 rows?

Red Bull would be nice but I think that Albon has a stranglehold on that seat already. I don't see Alfa Romeo ditch a young driver like Giovinazzi at this point when the other driver is a 40 year old (Kimi). Toro Rosso is a Development Team for Red Bull so not a sensible place for a 31 year old driver. This leaves us with Williams. WIlliams is slowly trending in the right direction but there are not expected to jump back in the mid-to-upper midfield anytime soon.

If I was the Hulk, I would look for Blancpain GT, DTM or LMP1. F1 is not the only game in town.

If he can't find a ride elsewhere, sign him to TR team. RBR needs to find someone who can at least score respectable points and be within a half second of Max. Does anyone really think that's Albon? It certainly wasn't Gasly and I doubt Kvyat is getting another shot. If it were me, I'd sign him to TR, drop Kvyat or Gasly (or both as neither is getting another shot) and let him know that unless Albon impresses the remainder of the season there's a good chance he'll get that seat (but may lose it if some other phenom comes along). And while I was at it, I'd be on the phone with Williams to see what its going to take to get Russell.

Of course, it's not going to happen

Last edited:
Is time running out for Nico Hulkenberg to extend his F1 stay? With Haas confirming Romain Grosjean and Kevin Magnussen, yet another door closes for the talented German.

Finding himself looking for another drive following Renault F1 electing to sign Esteban Ocon alongside Daniel Ricciardo next season, Nico Hulkenberg was excepted by many to be a shoe in for the second Haas seat... everyone apart from Haas it seems.

With the driver merry-go-round slowly winding to a halt, the best available drive in Formula One next season has been filled today, with Haas F1 confirming Romain Grosjean will extend his stay with the American team for a fifth consecutive season in 2020.

On his day, Grosjean can show blistering pace - but the last couple of years have been a trying time for the popular driver, with many believing the Frenchman would be moving away from Grand Prix racing at the conclusion of the current season. With highly rated Renault driver Nico Hulkenberg now on the market, and current driver Kevin Magnussen already confirmed at the squad next season, the pressure looked to be on for Grosjean to retain his seat - something that Haas have finally put to bed following confirmation of a new contract with the team earlier today.

With Haas now filled, very few options remain for 32-year-old Nico Hulkenberg to remain on the grid from next season, potentially ending the F1 career of one of the most promising drivers never to stand upon a Formula One podium.

With only seat at Williams and a potential chance in place of Antonio Giovinazzi at Sauber, do you think the time is up for Nico Hulkenberg, or does the German deserve another shot at Grand Prix racing?

Like what you see at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Congratulations to Growjean and Magnussen for keeping their F1 drives in 2020.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • More leagues

Votes: 41 19.5%
  • Prizes

Votes: 43 20.5%
  • Trophies

Votes: 24 11.4%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 14 6.7%