DiRT Rally 2.0 DiRT Rally 2.0 Update Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
DiRT 2.0 Monte Update.jpg

DiRT Rally 2.0 has been updated today, and now includes the Monte Carlo Rally.

Having received the first new rally location since releasing on PC and console back on February 29th, DiRT Rally 2.0 by Codemasters has also had a small update applied to the title as the development team look to respond to the wave of feedback received since first shipping out the much awaiting sequel to the impressive DiRT Rally of 2015.

Of course new content is often likely to take the headlines, and even though Monte Carlo is a returning location from the original title, much work has been undertaken by Codemasters to bring the rally up to the new standards both graphically and technologically. Featuring graphically enhanced stages (as can be seen in the Monte Carlo Rally previews here) and the latest stage deformation features that have come to DiRT Rally 2.0, the "new" event should hopefully offer a suitably changed experience to make it a worthwhile experiences for players of the earlier title.

Update 1.2.1 Notes
  • My Team Special Events issues fixed
  • We've fixed not receiving input from unofficial devices (without re-connecting the device after press start)
  • Special liveries and Monte Carlo Rally unlocked for Deluxe Edition players on Steam. These will unlock for PlayStation and Xbox players at midnight local time
Ok, we have to admit that isn't exactly an overwhelming amount of changes that Codemasters have brought with the new build, however it has been stated by the developer that they are continuing to listen to community feedback as they develop further enhancements for the game. Some of the most vocal feedback has been around the FFB implementation within the title, and Codemasters have confirmed they have acknowledged this complaint, and are continuing to investigate possible solutions that they hope to release in the near future.

DiRT Rally 2.0 is available for PC and console now.

For more from the world of the DiRT series of games, be sure to check out our DiRT Series sub forum here at RaceDepartment.

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
Why am i discussing with a fanboy, seriously are you trying to prove this game is realistic when the majority of the simracing community agreed that tarmac feels like need for speed in this game?
So you are the ambassador for the majority of sim-racers i guess and the majority is always right:roflmao:. I have no problem not be part of the majority and i disagree with all you claim. The grip is fine on tarmac without assists is my opinion. Most Rally-cars are pretty lightweight, especially the vintage stuff and the newer ones have AWD, which is a great weapon in Motorsport.

I like it. Feels really different to the first DR, the car turns a lot when you have ice on one side and dry tarmac in the other, making it quite a tricky rally. And the snow-ice parts are really slippery now :p Me personally don't care that they are the same stages as in DR, but I get why some people are upset about that. I just like good stages, and these are top notch :D

So you are the ambassador for the majority of sim-racers i guess and the majority is always right:roflmao:. I have no problem not be part of the majority and i disagree with all you claim. The grip is fine on tarmac without assists is my opinion. Most Rally-cars are pretty lightweight, especially the vintage stuff and the newer ones have AWD, which is a great weapon in Motorsport.
There is a reason why THREE simracing companies had made tarmac physics very similar (grippy and unpredictable grip recovery) in 3 rally sims while the fourth company made something completely different.

Also we don't need a rally driver to tell us cars shouln't powerslide like this. We just have to look at onboard videos.

Last edited:
Also we don't need a rally driver to tell us cars shouln't powerslide like this. We just have to look at onboard videos.
In fact, if you look from the 3rd person view, you see not just powerslides but a strange sideways motion of the rear/entire car.
I had something like that when my rear axle/arm mounts came loose, the whole rear end of the car started to steer a bit. And that also added that "latency" to steering inputs, as well as that uncomfortable feel of the whole car drifting to the side, but without sliding.

Last edited:
There is a reason why THREE simracing companies had made tarmac physics very similar (grippy and unpredictable grip recovery) in 3 rally sims while the fourth company made something completely different.

Seems you play a different game and maybe turn off your assists, because there are no predictable powerslides on tarmac that i know of. Maybe this hard tyres work like that, never tried them, but certainly not medium and soft. I even thought there should be more predictable drifting on tarmac with cars like the Opel or BMW E30 on wet, but when the rear steps out, i'm usually hitting something.

Seems you play a different game and maybe turn off your assists, because there are no predictable powerslides on tarmac that i know of. Maybe this hard tyres work like that, never tried them, but certainly not medium and soft. I even thought there should be more predictable drifting on tarmac with cars like the Opel or BMW E30 on wet, but when the rear steps out, i'm usually hitting something.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/690790/discussions/0/1798529872654518007/

There are many more but that's enough

Nobody complains about 'Need for Speed'-handling in this thread and never read anything like it, but assists must be the reason why online- and Elite-difficulty-times are so ridiculous fast compare to (not only) mine without. Those times are simply not possible without assists.

I like the tarmac-physics and i think they are reasonable enough for a Rally-game like DR2. When you want to experience similar 'bad' tarmac-physics, start iRacing. Feels very similar with worse FFB.

Having this kind of jumps in Australia, it's only possible if the surface is like this:
dirt-road-potholes-poor-construction-maintenance-result-rough-pot-holes-roadway-62308006.jpg

You don't even notice washboards like that in a rally car unless it has standard suspension. I agree the Australian stage is bumpy and it feels a bit odd at times.

The tarmac physics are ok, could be a lot worse. It's wrong comparing tarmac physics of a rally game to racing games anyway, a rally car on a tarmac road feels nothing like a racing car on a clean track.

"I was filming with a rally driver the other day and chatting about Sims that they use to train. They said dirt 2.0 is leagues ahead of 1 when it comes to accuracy in the feel of the car. They did also say that Sim training for rally is almost useless compared to track racing as it's hard to replicate a rally stage as it's changing so often."

Training for rallies is not useless, just different from track training. You can use rally sims to get up to speed quicker and generally train your driving/reaction times and remind the brain to be a bit braver. This has nothing to do with physics so the same principles apply regardless of if you're using RBR or WRC 7 to train.

Using it as training for a specific rally is another matter and quite frankly meaningless, even when driving a stage that exists IRL because they are nothing like the real stage anyway. Mostly they are not made to the same length (i.e. DR) but they also don't offer any feeling of altitude, and as your quote reads, the road and scenery won't look the same from week to week.

Bought the Deluxe edition so effectively paid up front but I think the price of the DLC as sold separately is more than reasonable.

The stages may be the same as they are in Dirt Rally in terms of layout but don't let that fool you - they look a lot better and the surface changes are more pronounced. The overall experience is a good step up from the original game. If Codemasters manage a similar step with the forthcoming Sweden and Germany rallies then I will be more than happy with Dirt Rally 2.0 overall.

You don't even notice washboards like that in a rally car unless it has standard suspension. I agree the Australian stage is bumpy and it feels a bit odd at times.

The tarmac physics are ok, could be a lot worse. It's wrong comparing tarmac physics of a rally game to racing games anyway, a rally car on a tarmac road feels nothing like a racing car on a clean track.
Again, my concern is that the cars on tarmac generally still should have good bite and reaction, but driving the Spainish stages you have a lot of latency between input at your steering wheel and the car starting to react at it. And then there are those weird sideway movements - I don't even mean sliding. If you ever driven a car with loose steering column or loose "self-steering" rear end you'll understand what i mean.
To be fair, judging by previews the Monte carlo stages visually look better on the surface part than some other stages in game. Going back to Australia/Argentina bumpiness, part of the problem is the textures are too much to the procedural side, and they look too indifinite - sometimes you don't have an idea what surface you look at - is it gravel or oatmeal or cereal. Especially in poland, it's real weird looking.
I love the American stages though, the feel of mud/gravel matches it's looks, and driving Opel Kadett there is especially pleasure, IMO the best feeling car in game.

There's something wrong with the tarmac, but it's really not a deal breaker IMO. Could be a lot worse, and was a lot worse (in Dirt Rally 1, still many simmers liked it)

But holy crap is the full ice/snow portion slippery now :D Constant sliding. Still I find it easier to drive than the ice patches, because it's predictable. The patches are hazardous

By the way, something some people might have missed: you can play Monte Carlo in multiplayer, even if you don't own the DLC.

Last edited:
Nobody complains about 'Need for Speed'-handling in this thread
It doesn't matter, they are saying the car feels floaty, or like you're driving on oil/butter, or that it feels like a hovercraft. There are infinite ways to say it sucks. On every spain stage youtube video there are at least 3 comments saying exactly the same thing. If there wasn't something really wrong, for sure we wouldn't see so many people complaining about the exactly same thing.

And physics are not good enough because 90% of people were expecting Dirt Rally 2.0 to be a rally SIMULATOR (at least beliveable), and not only a rally game as you said.

Last edited:
It doesn't matter, they are saying the car feels floaty, or like you're driving on oil/butter, or that it feels like a hovercraft. There are infinite ways to say it sucks. On every spain stage youtube video there are at least 3 comments saying exactly the same thing.
Could be that these people are using the wrong compound for the stages. Tyres getting floaty when they are worn out and with soft compound this can happen at the end of a long stage. Also you have to select new tyres with every service or you get the old ones again. Usually there are stages with and without rain/wet surface and you often can't switch the tyres, so you have to drive one stage with a compound that doesn't fit. Rain tyres on dry surface supposed to feel floaty and floaty feeling on a wet surface isn't anything unusual in other sims as well, that support rain-physics. Tyres with high sidewalls are usually more floaty as well in real life and threaded tyres don't feel and handle like slicks. Dirty road tarmac can have less grip and end up in a floaty car as well or the setup could be wrong. Default is often a bad choice.

FFB could also play a role and since I'm driving with an Accuforce in foundation-mode (so no game-FFB), SimVibe and a GS-5 'motion'-seat i get a better feedback than most others and Spain doesn't feel floaty for me. At the moment i'm playing DR2 and rF2 the most and certainly rF2 has better tarmac-physics, but unlike iRacing DR2 is not that bad i couldn't enjoy their interpretation of tarmac-physics and i might even prefer their wet-surface physics.

Last edited:
I didn't play DR1 too much so I welcome these tracks into DR 2.0. I probably drove Monte Carlo in DR1 the most, and I have to say it's pretty "freshened up". On my first stage there were lots of surface changes, left and right wheels being on different surfaces, etc., it really was a challenge and it was a fun experience. In DR1 it was much less... dynamic we could say. Sure there is room for improvement, but name a sim/game where there isn't... :)

I didn't play DR1 too much so I welcome these tracks into DR 2.0. I probably drove Monte Carlo in DR1 the most, and I have to say it's pretty "freshened up". On my first stage there were lots of surface changes, left and right wheels being on different surfaces, etc., it really was a challenge and it was a fun experience. In DR1 it was much less... dynamic we could say. Sure there is room for improvement, but name a sim/game where there isn't... :)

Monte Carlo in DR1 was complete BS and now it's a lot more reasonable, like later (10:00) in this stage for example...

Any word on fixing the unnatural and exaggerated bumpiness on some tracks?

Part of it comes IMO from the static camera, that doesn't take into account natural neck movement, and how eyes follow the road.

Yeah, it's the static camera that does that for the most part. It depends on the car (Argentina in a Mini is vomit-inducing at times) and on your FOV somewhat, but it's usually too much (and absolutely nothing like what a driver would see IRL on a bumpy road). We need more movement to the camera or even some kind of "lock to horizon" option, ideally with several settings. Setting the camera shake to Max helps - it's quite counterintuitive, but what they refer to as "shake" here is basically the amount of camera movement, so the higher you set this up, the more movement the camera has, effectively *removing* shake. But it's still not nearly enough for the bumpier stages, the camera still doesn't move enough.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • More leagues

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Prizes

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • Trophies

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 3 6.4%