DiRT Rally 2.0 DiRT Rally 2.0 | Colin McRae Pack Previews

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Codemasters have released a couple of interesting videos around the upcoming Colin McRae DLC - set to hit the game this March 24th.

Many believe the upcoming Colin McRae DLC will be the final piece of new content coming to DiRT Rally 2.0 before development comes to an end with this impressive rally simulation, and if so the inclusion of content around one of the most spectacular drivers in the history of World Rally is indeed a smart one - and something I'm personally very much looking forward to trying out for myself.

In the first 'scenario'' video, we see Codemasters John Armstrong tackling the 1988 Scottish Rally in McRae's Ford Sierra Cosworth. The objective here is to complete the final stages of the rally in McRae's bid to win his first national championship... fun!

The second preview video of the series takes players to 1991 onboard Colin McRae's damaged Subaru Legacy Group A WRC car, as the Scottish superstar looks to try and finish the Wales Rally GB in front of an adoring home crowd. Can you finish the rally, where McRae couldn't?

The Colin McRae Flat Out DLC is set to release for DiRT Rally 2.0 this March 24th, and will contain two new cars in the form of the Subaru Impreza S4 Rally and the Legacy RS, plus new rally stages in the Scottish Highlands of Perth and Kinross as well as various Colin McRae themed challenges and scenarios.

The new pack will be available as a stand alone DLC, or free for season pass owners of the game.

Original Source: Codemasters

DiRT Rally 2.0 is available now on Xbox One, PS4 and PC.

Got questions? Post them in the DiRT Rally 2.0 sub forum and let the community help you out!

Dirt 2.jpg

Last edited:
You want some more evidence as to how obsessed Codies are with this making a game uber tricky is their main thing?

GpA weekly, every stage but one in heavy rain. First week in, they know most of us will not know the stages, and maybe you can't praccy them in wet either, very sadist. You know it's deliberate and another example of them just being nasty.

I just can't be arsed I really can't, these guys need to just realise that people will just bail.

All they care about is trying to make the game super difficult, either reality or falsely, it is such a shame, someone should tell them to stop believing the hype and just make a good, fun, rally game.

DR 1 was so much more superior, I enjoyed it so much more, yet it is so similar, it's obvious to me the changes have just been this, most of the new events are far trickier than DR1, narrow, slow, or even narrower and fast.

I think I have just about had my fill, I want to enjoy this, not feel like someone is constantly trying to catch me out.

GpA weekly, every stage but one in heavy rain. First week in, they know most of us will not know the stages, and maybe you can't praccy them in wet either, very sadist. You know it's deliberate and another example of them just being nasty.

I just can't be arsed I really can't, these guys need to just realise that people will just bail.

All they care about is trying to make the game super difficult, either reality or falsely, it is such a shame, someone should tell them to stop believing the hype and just make a good, fun, rally game.

DR 1 was so much more superior, I enjoyed it so much more, yet it is so similar, it's obvious to me the changes have just been this, most of the new events are far trickier than DR1, narrow, slow, or even narrower and fast.

I think I have just about had my fill, I want to enjoy this, not feel like someone is constantly trying to catch me out.

I really don't understand you here. The whole point in rally is to listen to your co-driver, if you knew they stage then he would be redundant, no?

Shouldn't a simulation, based on real cars, on real surfaces with real weather types mimic reality?

I'm not trying to catch you out either, I'm just wondering what you mean, really.

Have you considered, that some people actually like the challenge? That's the whole reason why the original DiRT Rally took off so well
And if it rains heavily during a rally weekend IRL, are the rally organizers being sadistic too?

Have you considered, that some people actually like the challenge? That's the whole reason why the original DiRT Rally took off so well
And if it rains heavily during a rally weekend IRL, are the rally organizers being sadistic too?

He already said that contrary to people always saying nice things, he's all about doing the exact opposite so I'd say theres no need to bother..

My point is this

This was a new release this week yes? I have done most weeklies since I bought the game 6 months ago and I have NEVER seen an event where it rained on just about every stage of the event.

My issue is not with the weather it is with the decision taken to make it rain, it was not random it was Codies being a bit mean, ruthless and overly harsh, but that is what they do with DR2.

To them, this game is all about making an already difficult game ever more difficult, there is NO reason for that other than it is the modern way of making games, Dark Souls, Bloodborne, Monster Hunter etc, they are all about trying to make it easy for the player to die.

In this game there are SOOO many things, a three stage run, last stage is ALWAYS long in the dark meaning that any incident during the first two means you are likely to lose some or all of your lights, drive slower you say, well where is the fun in that. Punctures from very little when you can roll the car, hit a tree and not get one, seems a little inconsistent, deliberately wrong pace notes, usually in narrow areas where you can hit rocks etc, always tricky last corner sections, it happens so often it HAS to be deliberate.

Now don't get me wrong the challenge is fine, but leave it at that, the game itself is fine, there is no need whatsoever to falsely make it harder. Which is something Codies appear to do routinely at the moment. And did NOT in DR1.

Answer me this, does anyone here think the car handling and grip in the wet is realistic? They got it spot on in Dr1 though, so what excuse now? To make it harder of course which is why it heavy rains more than it did in Dr1. Also why are nearly 70% of rallycross events in heavy rain, do these guys ever actually watch rallycross? It hardly ever rains

My point is this

This was a new release this week yes? I have done most weeklies since I bought the game 6 months ago and I have NEVER seen an event where it rained on just about every stage of the event.

If they're being so ruthless why is this the first weekly it rains every time?

My issue is not with the weather it is with the decision taken to make it rain, it was not random it was Codies being a bit mean, ruthless and overly harsh, but that is what they do with DR2.

That's straight up paranoia.

To them, this game is all about making an already difficult game ever more difficult, there is NO reason for that other than it is the modern way of making games, Dark Souls, Bloodborne, Monster Hunter etc, they are all about trying to make it easy for the player to die.

See above.

In this game there are SOOO many things, a three stage run, last stage is ALWAYS long in the dark meaning that any incident during the first two means you are likely to lose some or all of your lights, drive slower you say, well where is the fun in that.
Most days end with darkness, and most local rallies I've been to have their final stage of the day at night, or at least close to it.

deliberately wrong pace notes, usually in narrow areas where you can hit rocks etc, always tricky last corner sections, it happens so often it HAS to be deliberate.

Dirt rally original had wrong pace notes at times as well.

Answer me this, does anyone here think the car handling and grip in the wet is realistic? They got it spot on in Dr1 though, so what excuse now? To make it harder of course which is why it heavy rains more than it did in Dr1.

IMHO Dirt Rally had too much grip in general, so I used the RFPE mod religiously. To each there own though.

BTW I didn't even want to comment, but as a big From Software fan, I really find it funny to say that Dark Souls or Bloodborne are "the modern way of making games", which apparently is "all about making it easy for the player to die".

Bloodborne (5 year old game at this point) is basically just a somewhat different take on Dark Souls, a game that is 9 years old now. Dark Souls in itself is basically just an evolution of Demon Souls, an 11 year old game. And Demon Souls is a spiritual successor to the King's Field series, which goes as far back as 1994, so 26 years. Modern way of making games indeed.

And while I'm not too familiar with the Monster Hunter series, isn't it kinda similar in this regard? The first Monster Hunter came out 16 years ago...

And honestly, if you think games that are "all about making it easy for the player to die" is "the modern way of making games", I don't think you've been paying attention the last 30+ years (or you are simply unaware of the history of gaming). Want to know games that are all about making it easy for the player to die? Go play pretty much any of the original arcade games from the 80's. If you think Dark Souls (which even an average gamer can do challenge runs in once they "git gud" a bit) is all about making it easy for the player to die, 80's arcades will break you.

Come on fella, comparing 80's arcade games to modern software on home based machines is rather daft, they are all about making short term money, arcade games, that's why they are usually in gambling type arenas like seasides, arcades etc alongside bandits, they are a very mild form of gambling, trying to entice you in, give you a bit of play, sucker you in so you keep spending money. And the games were written with this primarily in mind. Comparing that to a modern game is like comparing F1 in the 60's to now, it used cars and drivers, that's about it.

What I mean is that sims are not usually like this, ie the over reliance on making tricky games harder. The sim should be enough, and it usually is. I don't know or don't care about the history of gaming, but the make you die philosophy got popular let's say with Dark Souls, and I think it has moved to a lot of titles now.

But it simply feels to me that Codies have artificially in many ways tried to make this title more difficult on purpose, DR1 did not feel like that, yes it had its faults, but that was almost a test game, this is what they were planning on releasing, and the DLC model shows that to a tee.

I had hoped they would have stopped this practice, but all the things I describe are for me ways to make an already tough title, harder. And it really does not need to be that way.

I still play it, still enjoy it most of the time, and I am happy to accept most mistakes are my fault. But, there are trends in this title that are there to make the whole thing 15% more tricky and for me that is simply unnecessary, that's all.

No issues with wet grip whatsoever, if there's any it's that the tarmac wet tires are OP. Slap on regular softs and you will really have to manage your braking and throttle work but with wets it's (almost) business as usual.

But it simply feels to me that Codies have artificially in many ways tried to make this title more difficult on purpose, DR1 did not feel like that, yes it had its faults, but that was almost a test game, this is what they were planning on releasing, and the DLC model shows that to a tee.
Friendly reminder that DiRT Rally 1 was the game where every little stone on the side of the road and every jump tried to kill you due to the moon physics.

I have to be honest the moon physics did not bother me, the rock situation is still pretty much the same, now replaced by logs, grass verges made of rock, cliff edges, fences, you can still hit hard bits and roll.

S just preferred it sorry

I will add, if you enjoy the way they shove difficulty at you in this game, you probably are the 10 people in the world who enjoy bloody Argentina, the single most miserable piece of code I have ever seen in a sim in my entire life.
Guess what fans, you d the monthly in R2 cars, and even mroe guess what your last event is in, you guessed it ARRRRRGentina, christ,

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back