DiRT Rally 2.0 DiRT Rally 2.0 Announcement Tomorrow?

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
DiRT Rally 2.0.jpg

Recent teaser images suggest a sequel to the very popular DiRT Rally could be announced by Codemasters tomorrow.

DiRT Rally took sim racing fans by surprise back in 2015, releasing to Steam Early Access without so much as a clue as to its existence and providing a welcome return to a more simulation focussed take on the world of loose surface racing than had been the case of late.

Following up DiRT Rally with the less successful DiRT 4, it very much looks like Codemasters have a nice treat up their sleeve with various postings of "2.0" across the Codemasters social media platforms, including tweets from both the FIA WRX and the son of World Rallycross champion Petter Solberg.. indicating that a new version of the rally and rallycross title might well be in the works...

DiRT 2.0 FB Teaser.png

With speculation running rife as to exactly what this could mean, and almost as importantly when we will find out more, Codemasters have just revealed the image at the top of this article, accompanied by confirmation that an announcement is incoming tomorrow at 10:30BST...

Not long to find out what's happening. Let's get DiRTy!

DiRT Rally is available for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC right now.

If you want to discussion the game with our passionate community, and read about the latest news, check out the RaceDepartment DiRT Rally sub forum for a great place to pick up mods, catch the latest news and chat about the game with our community. Give it a go, just keep it DiRTy!

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Looking forward to the upcoming announcement? Do you think it will be DiRT Rally 2.0? Let us know in the comments section below!

I enjoyed DiRT Rally quite a lot before getting Assetto Corsa. Now, after AC, I find hard coming back at it, I used to pride myself over my spectacular time on the tarmac variant of Pikes Peak which was way below Loeb's then record. But now I try DR's tarmac knowing the wonders of AC and it feels like trash to be quite honest.

Plus, Codies has simply dissapointed me massively last year. DiRT 4 felt like a return to the childish "dudebro" crap that the other old numbered DiRT games were known for. I admit I kinda enjoyed that when I was younger, I have nice memories of DiRT 2 and 3, but now I want a more subtle, mature experience without unnecessary things like licensed music or gymkanas. In all short, D4 didn't last long in my Steam library.

But the drop that spilled my glass of trust towards them was the stolen Ferrari F1 model. The first thing I got to read right after I bought F1 2017 on Steam was the news article reporting that they took that F2002 model without permission, and I honestly felt truly indignant, like if I was ripped off. I tried the game for a bit, but ended up refunding it just like D4, and since them I hold Codies in very low regards.

I can only wish this game will make me recover my trust on Codemasters, but for now I won't get my hope levels up.

Like many of you, I'll probably get excited over nothing ref DiRT Rally 2.0.

:(

Codemasters could have replaced RBR years ago - had they got the expertise, passion, and wanted to please sim fans. Instead, Rallying (much like other Motorsport) has been held back by anyone producing Rally content post RBR. It pains me when devs don't much attempt to give the people who pay their wages, what they want. I know not everyone wants an RBR type experience, but with assists - you can please everyone.

We'll get a "mend and make do" progression from DiRT Rally and have to be happy. I'll stick my neck out now, and say that in all the time since DR1 - DR2 won't be a game changer. Codies much prefer the "safe" route. Look how they've strangled the F1 franchise in all the years they've had it. The only way that Codemasters will deliver a more realistic physics engine is if they stop putting studio staff in rally-school cars, and fit gps sensors in real cars, model a real stage, then build something from the ground up that closes the gap from real data - to the in-game engine. It's not rocket science.

Plus, if you do it that way, based on the data, there's no need to ask the community for handling feedback lol. The numbers will produce an accurate sim. You ask the community about features, and leave physics and tyre data to the pros and GPS, etc. But all of this is too much like hard work. I appreciate they seek feedback from a real driver, but that is only to fine tune an unrealistic experience to make it a little better out of the box. In the main, lets be fekkin frank, it's P.R bollox lol.

They've not proven me wrong in the last 10 years. My money says Codies will disappoint again this time around.

:(

I don't mean to sound negative. With advances in CPU's and GPU's in the past 10 years, I'm gutted that the Rally genre has suffered so much since RBR. Even though I'm on the brink of despair, I'll likely support them by buying it. If that situation is not broken, and sending the wrong message to devs - I don't know what is lol.

DiRT 4 was 100% fundamentally broken wasn't it.

What's annoying as someone who bought it, is that the whole Codies team knew, that once you'd got a day or 2 into the title, the crippling excuse for the very small number or corner variants offered from the course generator would ruin long-term enjoyment for many. There should have been 4 times the variations. There could have finally been a way within DiRT4 to make stages appeal real in terms of length AND flow. Something D4 never supplied IMHO. I found the snow stages in D4 the most unrealistic from memory.

I'd like (but likely won't get)…
*Long stage design
*Most of the countries, that feature within a WRC type environment
*Brand new deeper susp, tyres, aero, and physics modelling. Based on real world tyre data and GPS from real cars too
*Realistic lifelike flow on the supplied stages
*Replays that can lock to trackside (static) TV cameras, or an editor so users can create/save/export their own camera-sets to share with others
*DLC packs to expand cars and tracks further, as I've no issue making something better over time

WAY more realism, yet with more assists to help beginners.

Codies, please SURPASS RBR for the love of god, or just don't fekkin bother lol.

There are enough sub-standard unrealistic Rally titles already, don't bring another one.

I hope Codies prove me wrong. But I see no reason why Codies won't continue to strangle Rallying as they've done before. Year on year our calls for progress in the main remain unanswered. We'll get a token feature here and there, because some people requested it - but the fundamentals of a rally sim (amazing physics and realistic stages) will likely fall way short yet again.

I'd dearly love to see an engine like Assetto Corsa 2 get rally terrains, tyre models, and stages. Plus way more hill climbs the next time around. Even if it was via paid DLC. That way, I wouldn't ever have to pin my hopes on Codies, knowing full well they have no plans to "deliver" what most of us feel are most important for Rally sims.

IF CODIES prove me wrong, and actually address most of my points for DiRT Rally 2, I'll donate money to charity and provide proof in this forum... hell, if they only provide amazing physics and realistic stages I'll do it!!

Fingers crossed...

If it's really as easy as you claim, just smack real numbers in and everything is set, why the endless tire model updates in AC for example?

Really sceptic about this since codemasters (as a dedicated race game developer) is totally ignoring Virtual Reality in all its recent releases.

So until it's confirmed it has VR support, i'm not interested.

It seems quite the stretch to think any of this means Dirt Rally 2. BTW, I played RBR and DR and drove them very similarly so I am not quite sure I understand the complaints about the DR physics tbh (other than the god awful tarmac).

I got the same feeling of weight shift and steering with the throttle and brake in both titles which was an astonishing surprise for DR. Plus, I never felt RBR was anything like as difficult as some people made out , in fact it felt all quite intuitive as did DR.

However, I seriously doubt this has anything to do with a Dirt Rally 2.0 announcement, but I am happy to be pleasantly surprised instead of bitterly disappointed.

ppl are hyped for another codemasters game that won't even support mouse controls and will be a pain in the ass to get peripherals working properly?

anyway it's more likely to be dirt 4 patch 2.0

Dirt 4 was never supposed to be a successor to Dirt Rally. Dirt 4 was a successor to Dirt 3, which is their arcade line of rally games. If you bought Dirt 4 expecting Dirt Rally 2, it's on you, not the game.

It's still mind boggling to see that (5 and counting) people disagree with simple facts in the so called information age we live in (them included, apparently). Which just shows that smart phones, computers, cars don't make for smart people using them. And of course, some will disagree with this statement too. Which I'll enjoy.

Oh man, right on time for my all new sim gear upgrade im waiting on (its on board trucks somewhere in the world driving my way right now). :)

Oh please let this be as good on gravel as it was in the previous title, and then lets hope the cars have weight and be more simulation on tarmac. I never did tarmac on Dirt Rally because it was so easy and weird. Cars weigh like 100kg it felt like, lol.

I really like DR. In my opinion is rather good and its main problem is that we all have RBR in our "hearts" so comparisons are going to be favourable to RBR most of the time (just because RBR hit us hard and first).
The good thing about DR is that we still have hopes for a sequel, so finger crossed it's actually DR 2.0

Nothing generated can never compare to something like the spectator area in the Sweet Lamb complex, approaching Kakaristo junction in Finland, or seeing the road that leads up to Colin's crest in Sweden.
The problem is that making 20km of detailed road takes an insane amount of time and resources. In this case I would gladly pay for more stages along the way if they keep supporting the title.
If done right, generated tracks can be quite convincing. Check out this mod for Assetto Corsa https://www.racedepartment.com/down...nerated-rally-league-stage-demo-pack-1.19270/

let's hope for a worth successor (expectation are quite low; DiRT Rally was a small modern pearl that Codie gives to RBR fans; not perfect, but it has imho supplied a great lack of rally games) with no shìt like Denuvo

the only thing i'll be sure will be crappy fantasy liveries... damn i miss old CMR with real liveries. Even Milestone with all their difect are able to recreate historical liveries with no alchool and tobacco limitation. Codies not...
Mod Edit for language.

Last edited by a moderator:
the only thing i'll be sure will be shitty fantasy liveries... damn i miss old CMR with real liveries. Even Milestone with all their difect are able to recreate historical liveries with no alchool and tobacco limitation. Codies not...
If they don't make it any more harder to add new liveries, I'm sure the modding community will provide some alternatives

I can only wish this game will make me recover my trust on Codemasters, but for now I won't get my hope levels up.
You sound like an adult. Adults probably aren't codemasters target demographic.

Kids are much more accepting and you don't need to hold their attention for all that long. I'm sure when developers come to a sim site like this and read that people are still playing modded games from 15 years ago they probably think "feck these people we'd have more luck selling snow to an Inuit."

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 14 11.5%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 11 9.0%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 11 9.0%
  • Thursday

Votes: 15 12.3%
  • Friday

Votes: 44 36.1%
  • Saturday

Votes: 72 59.0%