DiRT Rally 2.0 DiRT 2.0: Plenty of Improvements Detailed in New Roadbook Video

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Codemasters have shed plenty of light on what is set to be new and improved in DiRT 2.0 - giving yet more insight into what looks likely to be a very impressive new rally title.

DiRT 2.0 is set to become the successor to the very popular DiRT Rally title of 2015 from Codemasters, and as such the studio appear to have been at pains to ensure the things that the original title did well have been brought over to the new release, but with even more refinements and improvements to what was very much an impressive launch all the way back in December 2015.

With Codemasters using the new game to reinvigorate the push for a more realistic rally experience, moving away from the arcade focussed DiRT 4, players can hopefully expect a much more refined and detailed depiction of loose surface performance driving in 2.0, something that should resonate with fans of both the real world sport and the classic Colin McRae Rally series - a franchise of games that Codemasters have gone to great lengths to pay homage to with the new title.

Neatly wrapping up the synergy between the original series and this upcoming release, Codies have even gone so far as to announce a tribute steelbook edition of DiRT 2.0, firmly wedging the design of the packaging firmly in line with the 2000 CMR2.0 game - a definite classic for rally fans of the era...

"For us, using the same design principles as we did for Colin McRae Rally 2.0 felt like a natural fit,’ said Codemasters’ Product Manager, Matthew Beckett. ‘After all, the “2.0” of DiRT Rally 2.0 was on homage to the title of Colin McRae Rally 2.0 – and although the games have changed a lot since then, our raison d’être has remained the same: to represent rally racing as truthfully as possible. Using this design is a nostalgic tribute to one of our most-loved rally games, but also a promise to our community to deliver the same, white-knuckle experience that Colin McRae Rally 2.0 did all those years ago.’

Chief Games Designer Ross Gowing said of the Steelbook: ‘it’s a great nod to where the studio has come from, and reminds us all of the amazing quality benchmark that Codemasters have always set.’
Not long to go now folks, just get Christmas and the New Year out of the way and we shall be all set to have some off road racing fun!

DiRT Rally 2.0 will release February 26th 2019.

DiRT 2.0 Screenshot.jpg

If you want to discussion the game with our passionate community, and read about the latest news, check out the RaceDepartment DiRT Rally 2.0 Sub Forum for a great place to pick up mods, catch the latest news and chat about the game with our community. Give it a go, just keep it DiRTy!

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Last edited:
If developers of Racing Sims solely look at Steam Stats then that's where they're going wrong, they need to look at VR users in Racing Sims (throw in Space & Flight as well) where the percentage is much much higher. Lets not forget the recent Steam Stats whereby it said an incredibly small amount of users have Wheels, should Sims therefore drop support for those? Of course not, Stats from the Genre of Game/Sim are more comparable to those of the general overall Stats.
not true, just like with the racing games, most people have multi monitor setups, not VR. Absolutely most of the flight sims I tried either don't have VR support , or it's simply unplayable because of the bad FPS that you tend to get in flight simualtors, even with low settings.

VR is still small fish, it's growing but it's still small

not true, just like with the racing games, most people have multi monitor setups, not VR. Absolutely most of the flight sims I tried either don't have VR support , or it's simply unplayable because of the bad FPS that you tend to get in flight simualtors, even with low settings.

VR is still small fish, it's growing but it's still small

Have you got any facts to back up your statements?

I did a poll right here on RD regarding this very subject, just look how many more people use VR over what you call "multi monitor setups":
https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/what-display-output-do-you-use-for-sim-racing.145880/

I would love for @Paul Jeffrey to do a similar News Poll in the new year to see if it's changed much :)

As for your flight sim quote I've played 3 flight sims in VR (there's more I didn't try), all at very good frame rates. :)

RD has pretty specific audience I think. Two friends of mine have wheels, but they had no clue what RD is, or how to use mods in Assetto Corsa. Both also single screen users, who never even considered anything else. They just have a cheap wheel lying around, among other controllers and play mostly other genres

Last edited:
Less than 4% of steam users have GTX 1080s and 1080 TIs, so why would many of these game devs keep pushing even NEWER RTX tech?

But are really that many pushing RTX at present time? Also, there is a difference between AAA-games that sells millions of copies on all three major systems, and more niche-based simulators.

I did a poll right here on RD regarding this very subject, just look how many more people use VR over what you call "multi monitor setups":
https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/what-display-output-do-you-use-for-sim-racing.145880/

I would love for @Paul Jeffrey to do a similar News Poll in the new year to see if it's changed much :)

As for your flight sim quote I've played 3 flight sims in VR (there's more I didn't try), all at very good frame rates. :)

RD is a very specific audience, and in the broad terms, not that huge. RD is huge in simracing-terms, but not in relation to general gaming, just look at the number of votes in that thread.

Sorry to have to say, but i don't see lot of improvements here.

CM try to sell the game with the same campaign "Everything will Be better than ever", "We've listen to our community to make a better game than ever" etc.

Last edited:
Sorry to have to say, but i don't see lot of improvements here.

CM try to sell the game with the same campaigne "Everything will Be better than ever", "We've listen to our community to make a better game than ever" etc.

What I hope though, as we know Codemasters are very board-driven and thus profits-driven. They are bound to see how popular DiRT Rally was compared to D4, both in number of sold copies, but also post-release usage and activity.
Any board that have some knowledge and skills would see what is the preferred direction to get more money in to the company.

and the steam stats are what ? and that's not all gamers out there of course, but I think it's pretty fair sample for the percentage

sorry but going to your RD poll is very not telling

it's like go to page www.weLoveDogs.com and put there a poll if people prefer dogs / cats or other animals , and then saying that most people prefer dogs

well, that's still quite far away , I really liked Dirt Rallye, so this I will pobably buy straight away , although I stll have WRC7 that I haven't played that much so who knows in the end

VR would be great, but I think most of us would be way slower in VR on Rallye stages
If you play in first person. With VR you got the control of all thing around you becouse you can turn right and left the camera when you need it.

In my case vr doesn,t matter becouse my pc can´t run it but i have played car games (included Dirt Rally) in a friends house with vr and the experience feels real and natural and i could see the real distances for the brake point.

If you play in first person. With VR you got the control of all thing around you becouse you can turn right and left the camera when you need it.

In my case vr doesn,t matter becouse my pc can´t run it but i have played car games (included Dirt Rally) in a friends house with vr and the experience feels real and natural and i could see the real distances for the brake point.
well I do have Oculus Rift, so I know that the immersion is whole another level, as is all the judging of brake distances and all that, but in rally game, unlike on circuits, you get more scared and more easily sick as well, so I wouldnt' call it VR is a must for Rally game , but to each it's own

maybe in the long run you will be faster, true, but not in the short term

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea