DiRT Rally 2.0 DiRT 2.0 - New Wales Rally GB Video and Preview Images

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Codemasters have revealed new preview images and video footage from the upcoming Wales Rally GB stages - heading to DiRT 2.0 tomorrow...

The next "new" location coming to Codemasters DiRT Rally 2.0 - Wales Rally GB is set to drop as additional content for the racing title tomorrow - bringing to the simulation the legendary muddy stages of one of the more popular rallies on the current WRC schedule.

DiRT 2.0 Wales 6.jpg

Mostly consisting of muddy stages through the forests of Wales, Wales Rally GB is a high speed and technical event, and was already a very popular set of stages in the original DiRT Rally title. For DR2.0, Wales returns but enhanced over the original content, with improved visuals and deformable stage terrain upgrading the quality levels found throughout the latest addition to the DiRT Rally game franchise.

Available from 16th July either as standalone content or part of the various deluxe packages, this should be one fun event!

DiRT 2.0 Wales 2.jpg
DiRT 2.0 Wales 3.jpg
DiRT 2.0 Wales 4.jpg
DiRT 2.0 Wales 5.jpg

DiRT Rally 2.0 is available on Xbox One, PS4 and PC now.

For news and discussions regarding DiRT 2.0, head over to the DiRT 2.0 sub forum here at RaceDepartment and get yourself involved in the discussion today.

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Instill can't play at all on my very high spec machine thanks to the continual micro studders. Really bummed too, was having a blast for the first month until this started.

Do you have vsync off? I ask because I also get stutters on my i9/1080Ti in 4k 60fps and at 1080p (showing 200+fps) if vsync is off. With vsync on I get no stutters and a more consistent framerate all round.

This isn’t “new” per say, still just reused assets from DR1 again. I really want to buy this but codemasters your business practices push me away more and more.

The "copied" stages drive much differently in DR 2.0 compared to DR 1.0. Monaco is a perfect example. Drives completely differently even though the layouts are all the same. DR 1 drives like tarmac (& sticky tarmac at that, IMO), DR 2 I have so much trouble keeping the damn cars pointed straight b/c it drives much more like actual ice. To me, that's different but for those of y'all who only view the route as the content only, I guess not. But I challenge you to drive DR 2.0 routes the same as DR 1 b/c you think you know the layout. If you do that though, well, people will start asking if you & the walls are dating you'll be kissing them so much.

A high spec machine should have no problems with stutters. Make sure you have threaded optimization turned off as it's known for causing stutters in games.

My machine is an I7 4770 with a GTX1070ti and I haven't had even the slightest hiccup with most graphics settings maxed out.
The micro stutters come from the game not liking some usb devices. The moment I unplug my csw v2. 5 the stutters stop. I had to go into device manager and track down just which one component was causing it and disable it to make the stutters stop.

Unless they fixed it recently the crowd setting is completely broken on some Nvidia cards, it makes fps dip down into the 40s in some sections when normally I'm over 100. The lighting and weather settings also create huge bottlenecks and make my 380w power limit 2080 ti only use 50-60% of its power limit at times which is pretty pathetic. CPU's not the issue since it's a 9900k(really won the silicon lottery on this one) I've setup for 5.16GHz all core to 5.46GHz on 1-2 cores. Codies really needs to learn how to use async compute or implement dx12/vulkan.

The micro stutters come from the game not liking some usb devices. The moment I unplug my csw v2. 5 the stutters stop. I had to go into device manager and track down just which one component was causing it and disable it to make the stutters stop.

Unless they fixed it recently the crowd setting is completely broken on some Nvidia cards, it makes fps dip down into the 40s in some sections when normally I'm over 100. The lighting and weather settings also create huge bottlenecks and make my 380w power limit 2080 ti only use 50-60% of its power limit at times which is pretty pathetic. CPU's not the issue since it's a 9900k(really won the silicon lottery on this one) I've setup for 5.16GHz all core to 5.46GHz on 1-2 cores. Codies really needs to learn how to use async compute or implement dx12/vulkan.
Interesting, that's an impressive setup. It's a shame that it's causing these type of problems. Hopefully everyone with this problem will contact support so they'll release a fix. In my opinion it's totally unacceptable for this type of game to be having any type of problems regarding the use of wheels/pedals.

Here's a run through the newly added short Dyffryn Afon Wales Rally stage in the 95 Impreza in full 4k from in-car, with both TV-style replay and helicopter cameras included (in-car sound only). I also left the FPS counter in the top right corner.

I've enjoyed DR2.0 from day one and it has improved a lot since them. The 95 Impreza feels totally intuitive to drive on these new Wales stages. The wheel gives great feedback and I'm easily able to tell what the car is doing and react to it, there is a much-improved sense of weight to the wheel and lift over crests and jumps.

Above all, it's a lot of fun to play and great to have the Wales stages added to the game.

Wasn't Wales the event that got them in trouble with the WRC/FIA?
I always thought it was Finland, based on some hints I've seen, and possibly Monte Carlo. But bear in mind things might also have changed in the meantime, I mean some of the stages are no longer used in WRC or they have been changed, so that might have also been a factor in these rallies now appearing in DR2.

Point is, there may be a lot going on behind the scenes we will never know about.

Difficult to say with Wales, some of the stages included (eg Afon which is actually Afan, and Walters Arena which is never named as such) haven't been used in WRC since 2012 when the Rally moved to mid and north Wales. Other stages such as Sweetlamb have been used throughout.

Thing is these 'rally stages' are pretty much all forest trails open to the public (to walk not drive) most of the year - many are the starting points for some awesome mountain bike trails taking a more direct route down the mountain. It would be difficult to say who owns the rights to those trails and images? I can remember when those log piles were at the side of the stages back in 2010-12, there was a lot of clearance and replanting going on, today the scenery on the stages has changed quite a bit. If DR2.0 uses the exact WRC stage then maybe that would be an issue, on the other hand, a lot of other rallies use these stages throughout the year too.

It would be difficult to say who owns the rights to those trails and images?
The problem was never with owning the rights to the actual roads. People often bring this argument up (it's public roads, nobody can license them), but it was explained many times in the past the issue was that while you can't license the roads themselves, you can definitely license the part where you run a (rally) racing event on those roads. So it's not the roads, it's what you do with them.

What USB is it plugged into, 2,3,3.1? Do you have USB energy saver turned off in all locations?

Instill can't play at all on my very high spec machine thanks to the continual micro studders. Really bummed too, was having a blast for the first month until this started.
I downloaded this a few weeks ago, knowing the RAM requirements are 8gb, but my system only has 6gb. I too experienced bad stuttering. But after a power-off re-boot the stutter miraculously disappeared.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.