Tracks Deutschlandring

I have spent the last few hours trying to get the trackside textures to look better. I hate this job :unsure: I know exactly how I want it to look, but there are so many variables and sub-textures that need to work together in order for the effect to look convincing, I find it so difficult :(

So, I made a start - I made a new diffuse texture for the road, and added a rougher edge than you might find on a current track. I'm pretty happy with it, too. The verges are a fair start, I think. I wanted to get a basic set of detail textures, and a rough mask working first. It's such a long track, with a track edge that seems to vary from lush grass, dirt, forest floor mulch, gravel... I'm pretty sure I am going to need 2 or 3 materials to stop it looking too artificial.

Oh, and I added some chimney smoke to the newly AO-baked Russigmuhle hotel, too. I have used a flag shader with an alpha blend mode, just to give it a slow, subtle movement - quite effective :)

Screenshot_lotus_49_deutschlandring_10-3-117-16-44-26.jpg

Screenshot_lotus_49_deutschlandring_10-3-117-16-49-44.jpg

Screenshot_lotus_49_deutschlandring_10-3-117-16-45-32.jpg
I hope pacific coast track will end up with that kind of textures in the transition between asphalt and grass. Looks really amazing

In all seriousness, they are actually quite effective. I have an awful lot of grassy areas / fields, and I had been wondering how I could pad them out a bit, without adding loads of trees that shouldn't be there. The current texture is a mix of cows and sheep, but I think I will split them into two separate textures instead. I can just see one of the fields on the main straight with a flock of sheep dotted around in it.

And as they are camera facing objects, they are always watching you... (like either the Mona Lisa, or Roz from Monsters Inc. :D)

I might also try to make some very distant trees too, although I'm not sure the shader works with the lighting too well :O_o:

And as they are camera facing objects, they are always watching you...

Camera-facing crowds (be they cows or humans) can be super creepy... if you take a screenshot from behind, toward the action, you get a whole different vibe with them all standing backs-to-the-track staring at your camera position. Not really relevant to your work, just an observation. :unsure:

Camera-facing crowds (be they cows or humans) can be super creepy... if you take a screenshot from behind, toward the action, you get a whole different vibe with them all standing backs-to-the-track staring at your camera position. Not really relevant to your work, just an observation. :unsure:

Indeed. Sometime I've found myself in F7 camera mode in the grandstands during a replay - only to notice the fact that every other spectator have turned themselves round whilst staring at me. I take the hint and get the hell out, I'm obviously not welcome there... :O_o:

I am slowly working my way around the track, knitting the verges to the low poly terrain. I had promised myself that I would get this boring task completed before I got side tracked by anything on my list of things to do, but with only 40% of it done I thought I deserved a break.

I had intended to do my rocks and cliffs with fancy-pants multilayer shaders (and I might yet have to), but a quick test with a single diffuse texture might be good enough. Maybe try adding a normal map too :) It's slowly starting to come together, and I am getting jobs done that I have been putting off for months, too :redface:

Screenshot_ks_maserati_250f_12cyl_deutschlandring_14-3-117-10-50-11.jpg

My plan is to make the terrain look fairly decent without the need for 3D grass. In theory, when I do add the grass, it should look even better :)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back