details in feel (DD Drive Wheel) ?

stigs2cousin

Premium
Hy there,

I´ve been researching DD Wheels for three months now, but iI still have questions:

lots has been said/written about the "level of detail" modern DD Wheels can provide.

What I´m still curios about is the "feel of the road surface".

From my everyday car i´m used to feel the surface of the tarmac, feel the change in roughness and grip, feel the ruts in the road and if the tarmac changes even before the front tyres start sliding.
( Its a GT86 with good coilovers and an agressive alignment which was tuned for the Nordschleife)

My T300 clearly can´t provide that, many tracks and mods provide a very good look of the surface, but i can´t feel the
tarmac patch i can clearly see.
Same with the "rubber patches" used to seal cracks. ( i don´t know the correct English term, in german its "Bitumenstreifen")

IRL I can feel those in the front wheels of my car or a motorcycles front tyre.

So, can a good DD Wheel ( I´m thinking Simucube right now) deliver this kind of feedback?

Of course a test drive would be best, but that is not the only thing covid ****ed up for us this year.

I´d like to hear your opinions/ experiences on this matter,

MFG Carsten

To achieve a good reach to the steering wheel AND have the leg room for easy Heel´n´Toe i´d have to pull the
wheel another 5-8cm at least so I could shove the seat back for at least three clicks.

Hmm....ok. Seems kinda odd to me. Three clicks difference between "normal" and a position where you are able to heel-toe seems like a LOT.

How close do you sit, normally? I have a 813mm inseam, and if I sit with my hips against the wall (on the floor), and measure to the soles of my feet, that is 1143mm from the wall.

My brake pedal is 965mm from the back of my seat. That's true for both the racecar and my daily-driver.

Upvote 0
I don't understand how wheel position affects heel-toe? Unless you are too far away from the pedals, which would be wrong in the first place.

You should be able to do it from a normal driving position – there's really nothing special about it.

I had to modify my 1969 classic a little to be able to do it well, but hardly at all. My modern happens to be perfectly setup for it from the factory, the bottom-mounted throttle pedal helps a lot.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It is widely discussed ( and lamented) in the TOYOBARU community that the steering wheel cannot be adjusted far enough for big guys ( over 180cm)
I tried to minimize the problem by adjusting the seat to far to the front which leads to a cramped footposition.

I think that should be enough off topic here, If some one has a (roadlegal in Germany) solution feel free to pm me.

MFG Carsten

Upvote 0
I make tracks for AC and use a TS-PC, and interestingly, the TS-PC is able to pick up on tarmac joints when they are around 10mm higher than the surrounding tarmac.

So, it might not even be down to the game's capabilities, but whether the track you are using has been designed with such fine details.

Just had a comparative drive with different cars on your excellent and wonderfull Fontey circuit.:inlove:

Do you happen to know the height of the asphalt patches there?

Depending on the car they where:

" ah, felt a little jolt in the wheel"

over " Oops, that was a big one"

to " Ouch, sorry car, hope tyre and suspension are OK"

always the exact same asphalt patch.

So now i understand the need to tune the FFB on a per car basis.

What was really great was the difference in texture of the normal asphalt to the patches to the cobble stones.
Not to mention the ruts in the concrete slabs ( Carracciolo carrussel anyone ? :D)

And I really liked the feeling of compression and decompression of the suspension in the dips and crests.

So Yeah, I do really love the simucube and for me its worth the money.

MFG Carsten

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back