Default tracks, or downloadable content?

Marco Bijl

Axe Travels
Well, as the title says. I am curious in what you guys like better.

We have the Default Race content (or whichever addon is used at the event).
Pro - Everybody has it, and most know their way
Against - Everybody has seen it before

We also have the download tracks here at RD.
Pro - More exciting, and more different tracks
Against - Not everybody knows their way.

So, what do you guys favour. I went with the download content until know, cause I thought that would be appreciated more. But as always, I am open for suggestions :)

I vote for default tracks. It takes a while to learn a new track and often there is no time for it. That's the main reason why I don't take part in Racing Club at the moment. I need to organise myself so that I have ~hour for the event itself. That's not hard. But if it is a track I didn't try before I need to spend at least 2 hours before the event to practise so that I can compete with anyone. The other thing is that I'm never tired of Monza, Brands Hatch or Nurburgring so I don't really need more variety.

Obviously, it's good to have some downloadable content too. Though personally I prefer default tracks most of the time.

Ok, well thats already 3 times default.

Next week's Porsche SuperCup will be on Istanbul 06. Default track from the game. The porsche mod is amazing to drive, so let's see if signups will be higher with this track.

Let the votes come in, I am curious to the outcome, and want a lot more votes before I make final conclusions.

@Kennett,
Unfortunately, this does not work. Simply due to the fact that there are a lot of racers who DO know all these tracks. So level the playfield will not work then, it just increases the difference in track knowledge.

We are thinking about the reintroduction of the lotery events. This means that the car you will drive, will be determined by a lotery. We could think about doing the lotery thing with tracks as well.

I shall take it in consideration....

Further, I shall keep on mixing the default and addon's.

@Kennett,
Unfortunately, this does not work. Simply due to the fact that there are a lot of racers who DO know all these tracks. So level the playfield will not work then, it just increases the difference in track knowledge.

We are thinking about the reintroduction of the lotery events. This means that the car you will drive, will be determined by a lotery. We could think about doing the lotery thing with tracks as well.

I shall take it in consideration....

Further, I shall keep on mixing the default and addon's.

There is one possibility: i have a track soon to be released, it's 95% done (about 8-12h of work to replace placeholders and billboard textures and a little cleanup and another 8 hours of testdriving to make sure there's no bugs.. no bugs ATM, fingers crossed...). No one but me has driven on it so that could be used in the cold laps event. I've arranged one such event before and it was fun to see people drive on the track the first time.. The secrecy is achieved by me giving the download link early, when the event is announced. But the archive is password protected and the password is given 15 minutes prior to the event. I can be the stewart, safety car and race director as i obviously can't participate in the race.. But i would still like to be at least watching the event, i think that is only fair. There's gonna be 40 grid slots available so everyone will get in..

The track is challenging, it has elevations, blind corners and variable track width with modern runoff areas. It's situated in a beautiful peninsula park surrounded by the ocean and beach with metropolitan city skyline in the background. Length is ~6km, 1 lap is 2m20s in WTCC1987 and 1m36s in 2007 F1.

So what do you think, is anyone interested in RaceDepartments first true Cold Laps event?

What i do like about the Default tracks is that there are no frame speed issues. I find that some of the Add On tracks become a bit choppy at times and of course ruining the gameplay. Anyone agree with me here? But i do like both for the most part.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.