DDS Exporting Issues

For some reason when I export a texture using CM showroom and open it up in GIMP it shows up as no editable material. Just a blank.
The same thing happens with all the textures if I unpack the .kn5 file.
But it only happens on some cars.
The cars I'm unpacking are not encrypted.

Is there something I can do to fix this or is it just expected that some textures will be lost on some cars?

Thanks in advance for any help.

how big are the exported files? I think there's like multiple "stages" of encryption, with one allowing for viewing in the CM Showroom, but not export of anything.

Some textures for AC have 0 in the alpha channel so they'll show up blank in GIMP, not sure if you mean that. If so you can use "add layer mask" to turn the alpha channel into a mask and then temporarily disable it. Or just delete it depending what you need.

Last edited:
how big are the exported files? I think there's like multiple "stages" of encryption, with one allowing for viewing in the CM Showroom, but not export of anything.
250KB to 4025KB

That's the strange part, I'm sure the files were exported properly but they show up as if the image at %100 transparency.

It makes sense what you're saying about multiple stages of encryption.
I was under the impression that encryption was "everything or nothing".

For example if I export the kn5 to fbx & open it in blender the model is perfect.
But the textures for that same car (no matter how I export them) show up as blanks even though it shows a file size of 4025KB

Thanks for the reply.

Some textures for AC have 0 in the alpha channel so they'll show up blank in GIMP
Yes, this is what's happening but when it comes to GIMP I'm unfamiliar with the controls.
I do all my image editing outside of it and only use GIMP to cut, paste & export my textures to .dds

I'll go watch some videos on how to use GIMP. I was trying to put off learning a new image editing program. Hopefully the alpha channel thing fixes it.

Thanks for the reply.

If so you can use "add layer mask"
This worked!

For anyone else who comes across this issue.
I went to the bottom right corner in GIMP 2.10 next to the delete layer button, click "add a Mask to the Layer" & choose "Transfer layer's alpha channel"

I then do "ctrl+z" & delete all the mipmaps and keep main surface and generate my own mipmaps when exporting.

Not necessarily a dealbreaker but I also recommend GIMP 2.8 if you're editing game textures, 2.10 pivoted away from supporting these formats natively to take more of a Lightroom role in the image editor ecosystem, it converts everything back and forth to raw linear hdr so you'll lose quality and possibly damage the gamma adjustment.

Last edited:
Not necessarily a dealbreaker but I also recommend GIMP 2.8 if you're editing game textures, 2.10 pivoted away from supporting these formats natively to take more of a Lightroom role in the image editor ecosystem, it converts everything back and forth to raw linear hdr so you'll lose quality and possibly damage the gamma adjustment.
Thanks for the extra info. I'll go get 2.8

Latest News

What does easier access mean to you?

• Free access

Votes: 25 75.8%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • Better structured forum

Votes: 8 24.2%
  • Standard game content

Votes: 11 33.3%
  • No 3pa registration pages