F1 2010 Crashing debate

F1 2010 The Game (Codemasters)
Me and my friend are racing online, im ahead but by two tenths maybe less and he goes for the overtake up the inside, im on the racing line(which crosses the track for the next corner) I followed the line across the cut, in front of his line (which has been pushed wider because of my line) when he tries to shape up onto the racing line he hits my back wheel causing me to spin, then he claims its my fault. As the leading car I feel that i have every right to defend my lead and that if he hits me then its his fault, so who is correct in this case?

In my view a point needs to be achieved when one driver or the other "has the corner".
It is when the attacking driver pulls alongside (or nearly!) under brakes and has the inside forcing the lead car to create racing room.
He needs to be under control and capable of exiting the corner safely leaving you racing room or it is just a "barge"
The move up the inside has to stick by corner exit or it has not worked.
On corner exit the leading driver in my view has the advantage and dictates and can use the racing line or up to one move off then back to defend.
If you are on the racing line and in front and his front hits your back the corner was not his. It is not your job to avoid cars behind you
In my view the fault is his.

Do you mean you moved across the track to line up for the next corner? Or that he went on the inside into the corner?

It's probably pointless trying to argue who was at fault to be honest.

EDIT: unless you have video evidence?

He needs to be under control and capable of exiting the corner safely leaving you racing room or it is just a "barge"

I think that's the way I see it too, it's no good braking in time and getting the inside if you then have to force the driver on the outside to run off the track as you exit the corner.

I'm not sure he's talking about cornering in this post though, I think he may mean that he was moving across the track to line himself up for the next corner when he had a collision with his mate, in which case I think that if his mate was going faster than him and he didn't realise how close he was then I'd say racing incident and no one at fault, however if they were both going the same speed and he knew his mate was there but expected him to move out of the way then the OP would be at fualt?

Chris I think the give away was that they were between corners and the OPs rear wheels were hit as he stayed on the racing line by the other drivers front. In which case "It is not your job to avoid cars behind you"

Me and my friend are racing online, im ahead but by two tenths maybe less and he goes for the overtake up the inside, im on the racing line(which crosses the track for the next corner) I followed the line across the cut, in front of his line (which has been pushed wider because of my line) when he tries to shape up onto the racing line he hits my back wheel causing me to spin, then he claims its my fault. As the leading car I feel that i have every right to defend my lead and that if he hits me then its his fault, so who is correct in this case?

Not a great account of events, but the bit ive highlighted gives me the impression they have exited a corner, lets say it was a left-hander, OP is on the wide exit line and his mate takes a run up the inside on the approach to the next corner. The next corner however is a right-hander and therefore the OP 'crosses the track for the next corner' and in doing that clips the front end of his mate.

Id say if thats the case, then its a racing incident. Possibly avoidable but too many unknown factors, like how early or aggressively OP moved, how far up the side his mate was, how hard his mate tried to avoid the contact, therefore its just 'one of those things'.

If the incident is more like Davids take on events, then I would say your mate should have been more cautious, or at least been 2/3rds beside you (and able to make the corner!) before even questioning whos fault it was.

If your mate is Lewis Hamilton then clearly he had the pass, even if he was only at your rear wheel, and you should have yielded and the crash is all your fault. If your mate is Michael Schumacher then the crash is all his fault because he's too old to be making aggressive passes like that. If you mate is Mark Webber then he should have maintained the gap. If your mate is Fernando Alonso then you should have let him pass because he's faster than you. If your mate is Kamui Kobayashi then it doesn't matter whose fault it is; he's going through.

If your mate is Lewis Hamilton then clearly he had the pass, even if he was only at your rear wheel, and you should have yielded and the crash is all your fault. If your mate is Michael Schumacher then the crash is all his fault because he's too old to be making aggressive passes like that. If you mate is Mark Webber then he should have maintained the gap. If your mate is Fernando Alonso then you should have let him pass because he's faster than you. If your mate is Kamui Kobayashi then it doesn't matter whose fault it is; he's going through.

Lmao I enjoyed that.

On topic though this is partly the reason I don't play on line often, everyone charges through causing crashes but thats ok because they were clearly in the right.

OP's incident sounds more like a racing incident, his mate should have been watching where his front wing was if he was behind you, its not the job of the driver ahead to be watching where the following drivers front wing is, to an extent anyway. It sounds like your mate got too aggressive into the corner, this time you came out the loser but he could of and probably should of if the physics were working properly lost his front wing.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back