CotM - Aston Martin DB4 Enduro @ Donington GP - Sat 7th Nov

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart Thomson

The Stoat Without Fear ™
Premium
19073d1256754270-cotm-aston-martin-db4-enduro-donington-gp-sat-7th-nov-gtl_db4_final_8hp9b.jpg

Servername: RACEDEPARTMENT.COM
Class: Aston Martin DB4 mod
Track: Donington Park GP
Conditions: 17.00 in-game race time
Practice: 30min
Qualification: 15min
Race: 40 laps
Note1: Click here to read the password and golden rules!
Note2: Click here for a "how to" guide to GTL pitstops
Note3: make sure you have the v1.2 (13th October) release of the mod installed - it makes a hell of a difference.

Attachments

• gtl_db4_final_8hp9b.jpg
    gtl_db4_final_8hp9b.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 503
just made it but the race was already on :(
sorry chaps if I caused you a delay! my steering wheel was dead! I checked it all but I will never find out what caused it because after a reboot, all went back to normal!

Grats to all 3 finishers.
I was having a good patient race, all seemed to be going well. I've obviously spent too much time away from GTL though. I messed up my pitstop, no fuel. Then sped going out, enough fuel to get round for the stop n go. But not, to go back round again, to complete a third stop... lol.

Grats Stuart, Tom and Andy. The podium

What a race - i'm totally wrecked.

Practice - I was confident of a good run cos the setup was minted (thanks again for that) and I could really hang the tail out which was fun.

Qualy - Mixed fortunes really, put some good sectors together but never all at once, finished up P5 i think.

Race - What can I say, just pure class from everyone. I got a good run off the line and was second as we swooped down to the old hairpin on lap one. Knut was in the lead from pole and I had Eck and Stuart behind me. Stayed that way until the chicane when Knut outbraked himself and I slipped through. For about 5 laps I was able to pull away a tiny amount as Eck and Stu battled it out, but Stuart overcooked it coming into Macleans (i think) and that left Eck with the chance to come after me, which he did - very quickly.

After a particularly scruffy lap from me Eck was right up my chuff and I bottled it and went deep into the chicane, letting him past. I managed to hold the gap at around 4/5 seconds up until my pitstop. I actually ran out of fuel at the entrance to the pits and had to trundle to my box with no engine. Not sure what happened in terms of other peoples strategies but when I exited the pits I was 3rd with 19 seconds to the man infront. I decided to make use of the fresh rubber and put in some stonking laps (at least by my standards - but I was a ball hair off the fastest lap on lap 22...) and somehow after the stops had unfolded I was in the lead by close 50 seconds, how did that happen??

Anyway, I knew I just had to get to the finish but every lap I saw my lead tumbling by huge chunks as the chasing guys closed in. This led to me having a few spins and hairy moments trying to stay in front. As an aside, One particularly hairy moment was when I tried to lap Andrew, and he ran wide at the hairpin out the back, as i slipped through he came from deep and tagged me, no biggie really I kept it going, but at the final corner he speared up the inside in a brave unlapping attempt and I missed him by inches....great fun.

With 5 laps to go i felt OK with a 15ish second gap, so I started to take it easy as my left rear tyre was virtually non-existent after all my drifting antics. You may be thinking that it was all over - oh hell no..........

After my best drive in GTL and having lead most of the second half of the race, muggins here goes and runs out of fuel on the last bloody lap - I was peeved to put it mildly....

It did get me thinking though, I stopped on lap 20, I was out of fuel at that point - and I started with 20 laps exactly in the tank, 13.7 gallons. Yet at the stop I put 24 laps in to be safe, how did I run out of fuel??? Does the game have accurate fuel economy - so if you rag it you use more? If so it's a nice touch, but infuriating in this case.

Anyway, a good night was had my all I hope - grats to Stuart for taking the win, especially after the SnG and closing 40 seconds on my in 18 laps, big respect for that.

Grats also to everyone else just for making it round the 40 laps in this monster.

Cheers guys, until next time - always remember to fuel up.........:glasses-cool:

Yesterdays race wasn't that good for me. I really tried to like the DB4 but I couldn't get myself to enjoy the driving experience. Just not my cup of tea I guess...

The car was very high quality though, probably the best models of the mods I've tested. I've read in car magazines that this car handles like a truck so I think they nailed the physics as well:D

The race was a combination of fatigue, poor pit-work and rubbish driving. It was the first bad event in a really long time... But like they say:

"Sunshine All The Time Makes A Desert"​

Thanks Stuart and RD

Sorry I had to go again but think I may have found out why this time, was having real probs last night and when I left I had to goto emergency standby medication, it worked and sorted me out quite quickly so I checked my primary inhalor only to find it was not working at all, no delivery of med., this is the second time in as many weeks this has happened, it had happened only once before in all my years of being ill, so it looks like a nasty Email to the Pharm. company will be in order and a report to my Dr as well. Hope it's a rare occurence from now on and I can be allowed to race with you guys without worry, c ya next time.

Sam

• Bert Van Waes

Yeah Sam, no worries!

As for me, boy the car was a truck indeed there. I just couldn't get the feeling with the front tyres wright in the turns. And in the race after a coupla laps i was already at the back. But around that time i started to have fun with the sluggish beast and soon i found out she likes to go sideways... Looking at the speed you guys went in and kept the tyres non smoking, respect. Clean steering there. wow.

After the pitstop everything went fine, until the engine went death 3 laps before the end i think. Very strange, because at the pit i choose to refuel another 50 liters (even more then needed) and it actually did that, because it took quite some secs to get her up to change tyres and repair. But it seemed it was one off those automatic refill systems that just had his moments that day.

Good stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back