F1 2016 Controller profile not saved

F1 2016 The Game (Codemasters)
Using a G27 wheel / pedals with a Bodnar cable (so it sees them as 2 devices), the game keeps asking me to set my controller at startup, although upon selecting G27, my saved button mappings are used. Is there a way to save this at startup?

Also, traversing the menu uses F5 and F6, is there a way to remap this (or are there alternative keys for these)? TIA.

Last edited:
There maybe a bug in this game regarding any other USB gaming device plugged in at the same time as your main controller, but I am not sure.

I think I read somewhere else in this forum someone complaining that he has to choose his controller every time he starts the game, because he keeps a joystick (or something similar) permanently connected to the USB hub for another game.

If it is a bug, it should be easily fixable I assume :)

It might be worth reporting at CM's Tech Support Forum

Don't know if it helps you but it did for me. If you are on PC there is a problem with Steam Cloud. For F1 2016 Steam Cloud is enabled by default even if you disabled Steam Cloud completely. Enable it and remove the check in F1 2016 settings in Steam and disable Steam Cloud afterwards. My controller settings were saved after that.

You can remap your buttons in the actionmap XML file in the actionmaps folder in F1 2016 for every control in game. There are many more than in control settings available. You can even remap the standard setting for your controller. Kinda annoying because it's only one file and you have to search for your wheel in it. Make a copy before and after editing. Before editing because if something goes wrong you have the original file and after because when F1 2016 gets updated it will be overwritten and you will have to do it again.

It's not just for driving. You could map one function to two or more buttons as well. Just add another line in the specific function.
Thanks. A follow-up, as I set my wheel/pedal as Custom (G27 wheel, G27 pedals w/ Bodnar cable), are these also saved in the same actionmap file in the game folder? I'm asking as I don't see any change in this file when opening it in Notepad+, so I'm wondering if the settings are saved in a different location?

You just edit the mapping for the standard setup of F1 2016. So if you select the mapping f.e. for G 27 the data in actionmap is used. Your custom changes to the mapping ingame are saved in the savegame which is unfortunately encrypted and the actionmap file has no influence on this.
After changing something ingame and you want to revert it back the settings in actionmap file are used.

You just edit the mapping for the standard setup of F1 2016. So if you select the mapping f.e. for G 27 the data in actionmap is used. Your custom changes to the mapping ingame are saved in the savegame which is unfortunately encrypted and the actionmap file has no influence on this.
After changing something ingame and you want to revert it back the settings in actionmap file are used.
Right, unfortunately encrypted. Will probably have to put back reattaching my shifter to the wheel, as the Bodnar cable has no benefits now I'm back to the G27 wheel.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back