Community Question | What Racing Series Would You Most Like To See Made Into A Sim?

Not really a series, more an event that is almost certainly out of scope for any sim dev: The Goodwood Members Meeting. One track and 150 cars spanning a century :)

No but seriously, for a single series, Indycar would be insteresting for a modern series, and something like GT Legends did for historics racing.

I think any racing series would make a great game if it had a good career mode or online mode with great physics and also simulated the different teams and cars. Even something like gt3 should have differences between the teams running the same cars. As long as the series has variety in terms of cars and tracks it has the ingredients for a good sim.

That being said historic supergt would be amazing with both classes of cars. A late 90s or early 2000s year would be great. Supras, gt-r, nsx, mclarens, vipers, diablos, porsches, silvias, rx7s. Tap into that gran turismo nostalgia. Instant cash! Although I understand that the language barrier would be huge for any western developer. And while I don't really care about single seaters I think 90s era indycar game with good physics would be fun. Althought it suffers from small car selection even if back then there were multiple chassis and engine manufacturers. Not that many tho.

In the end I think touring cars from late 80s and early 90s would be the best option. Lots of international and national series to choose from, lots of cars and especially lots of tracks. The cars themselves are great and you have dtm, atcc, btcc and so forth to choose from. A lot of national series. But sadly I don't think people appreciate those cars enough for how much fun they are to drive and race. Hard game to sell.

I think any game needs to have more than one car or class of cars to be interesting. F1 games get away with it by having a good career mode and tons of tracks. But for a pc sim it at least should be moddable so people can add cars and tracks. A supergt/90s jgtc game quickly runs into the issue that they did not have many tracks in a season. Even in 2002 they had just 8 races and they ran two of the tracks twice so they only had 6 tracks that season. Too few for a racing game imho. Especially when the only tracks people know about are the suzuka and fuji (and TI aka Aida aka Okayama). A problem that can not be solved even with adding more seasons. That would mean more cars but the game needs more tracks.

And it is a hard series to expand locally with other series as most of those other series (say some of the national japanese and asian series) would be running those same tracks. If you expand to australia then of course you'd have access to new cars, tracks and series but in the end it would be just a bunch of unrelated series crammed into a single game at that point. What would you even call it at that point? Super japanese australian racing game? (please make it, I promise to buy at least two copies)

I am a fan of everything. But I hate when "everything" becomes just GT3 and TCR and some recent open wheelers. I also would love the cars from any era to be appreciated in simulation, honestly simulated and utilized. Sadly but anything that is older than 2-4 years seems to extremely rapidly fall down off popularity, anything that is over 60 years old appears to have virtually no following in simracing, which to me makes no sense how on earth it has happened to be so, because up till certain point of few years ago that content seemed to be quite appreciated.

By the way... think about this... in reality popularity of motorsports has greatly decreased. Meanwhile there are still plenty of people all over the web cheering cars that are 30-40-50-60-70 years old and even older. To me it makes no sense how those are becoming obsolete in simracing. It must be because of eSports, and thats why critical mass drives same few cars in all simulators...

AC: DTM on long circuits (Nordschleife & Fat-Alfie's tracks) for intense racing
AC: MX5Cup (every track) for a more relaxed experience.
AC: Classic group C on long circuits (Nordschleife & Fat-Alfie's tracks, nothing beats flying through the woods at 200+ km/h).
AC: GT3 cars on modern racecircuits

Super Turismo!! FIA 2 Supertouring Cars

supertouring.jpg

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play